Expedition in Manu National Park
- Nature / Eco
- Price from:
- 615 USD /person
- (+ 511) 7055428
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 3 days
- Location Start:
- Location Finish:
- We Speak:
- Spanish, French, English, German, Dutch
Last updated: 10/07/2008
Andares Travel- Travel Agency and Tour Operator: The Manu National Park is the ultimate refuge of nature in the world. It is the home of more than 800 bird species, 200 species of mammals.
Day 1: Cusco - Cloud Forest
After an early breakfast we pick you up by bus from your hotel and set off for the Manu cloud forest. We pass over two Andean chains of almost 13,100 feet elevation through a steppe-like landscape, or Puna. On the way we pass stone Chullpas, or burial chambers, of the Pre-Inca Lupaca people and will hope to catch site of some of the bird species of the high Andes, including the Giant Hummingbird and Mountain Caracara.
After a delicious boxed lunch at Ajanaco which, if clear, affords views over the cloud forest and the vast sprawling expanse of the lowland rain forest, the road suddenly descends down the eastern slope of the Andes. We plunge downwards, past remnant patches of elfin forest, through swirling mist and cloud, to emerge in a forest of stunted, evergreen trees, festooned with mosses, lichens, bromeliads and other epiphytes. Nestled in this forest within a 2-minute walk of the road, and within earshot of a rushing mountain stream, lies the Cock-of-the-Rock Lodge, if there is time available, we will have a chance to briefly begin our exploration of the surrounding forest before dinner.
Day 2 : Cloud Forest
Rising before dawn we visit the traditional display ground of the Andean Cock-of-the-Rock, which has become famous among scientists, tourists and the international press, as there is no other spot in the world where so many of these spectacular blazing red birds can be seen so easily. From our observation blind, which is within 30-feet of the narrow switchback road that runs through the center of the reserve, we will watch as between 6-20 or more male birds display at a traditional mating ground, 15-feet in front of the blind. We will watch as these outrageous birds strut, curve their wings and dip their crested heads in the hope of attracting a mate. Please note that the very best months for viewing Cocks-of-the-Rock are in September, October and November, although the males display every month of the year
Returning for breakfast the rest of the day can be spent exploring the forest overhanging the single lane road near the lodge, or some of the miles of trails that wind through the valley, to see high elevation cloud forest birds, such as the Golden-headed Trogon, as well as numerous, brightly-coloured tanagers and hummingbirds. If you are very lucky you might see a troop of muscular-limbed Woolly Monkeys or Brown Capuchin Monkeys, which regularly forage through the reserve, or perhaps even a Spectacled Bear. Bears are present, but they are shy and hard to see.
This mysterious cloud forest harbors species of flora and fauna new to science. Indeed, in 1995 two Peruvian biology students, sponsored by Selva Sur, carried out basic survey work on orchids, reptiles and amphibians. They recorded two entirely new (previously undescribed) species of orchids, and four new species of reptiles and amphibians for Peru.
After an exhilarating exploration of the road and trails, bathe in the cool, clear waters of the San Pedro stream as it flows from the virgin forests of the surrounding mountains toward the rushing KosÃ±ipata River.
Day 3: Cloud Forest - Cusco
We will rise again before dawn for another chance to see the displaying Cocks-of-the-Rock. We will return to the lodge for breakfast and then board the bus for the return journey to Cusco, arriving in the early evening for dinner.
- Extras -
- Price is based , mimimun 2 persons
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Cusco
- Cusco Machu Picchu 3 Days 2 Nights - 3 days from 430 USD
- Cusco Machu Picchu - 7 days from 1077 USD
- Holidays in Machupicchu - 6 days from 560 USD
- Inka Trail To Machupicchu - 4 days from 350 USD
- Cusco Celestial - 4 days from 514 USD
- Sacred Inca Trail 8 Days - 8 days from 945 USD
- Cuzco City of Inkas and Lima City of Kings - 6 days from 995 USD
- Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu - 5 days from 260 USD
- Visit the king and the Incas cities - 6 days from 560 USD
- Cusco and Machupicchu - 5 days from 350 USD
- Inca Trail to Machupicchu - 4 days from 280 USD
Email the tour operator - Expedition in Manu National Park
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.