Mexico's Copper Canyon by Rail
- Rail tours
- Price from:
- 1495 USD /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
Last updated: 06/21/2006
Imagine yourself on a train winding its way from the Pacific Ocean into the heart of the Sierra Madre Mountain Range at 8000 ft. elevation into the Copper Canyon; larger-deeper than AZ's Grand Canyon.
Arrive in Los Mochis, Hotel Santa Anita
Los Mochis, Sinaloa, on the Sea of Cortez, is the newest metropolis in northern Mexico.
Copper Canyon train ride to Cerocahui, Hotel Mision
6 AM train departure. Your 6.5-hour train journey today takes you through some of the world's most spectacular scenery in the Sierra Madre Mountains. It is the most dramatic part of the railroad of engineering feats-the longest bridge the longest tunnel (over a mile long), the highest bridge, the tri-level track at Temoris and the 180-degree turn iside the mountain. Your destination is the beauiful valley of Cerocahui. Picturesque Hotel Mision helps you feel you are "away from it all" as you relax in the resful Spanish courtyard and admire the gold dome of the nearby 1556 mission church.
Day tour to Urique Canyon, Hotel Mision
A world-class view awaits you today at the top of Urique Canyon. This deepest canyon in the system provides the most expansive photo opportunities on the trip. You will meet the Tarahumara Indians today as you visit one of their ranchos and have the opportunity to buy their crafts on the way up to the overlook. A 5-mile optional afternoon walk through a pleasant box canyon to the Cerocahui waterfall provides an opportunity to swim in the falls, if you wish.
Copper Canyon train ride to the rim, Hotel Mirador
In the morning you have time to walk around the village. Afternoon train journey to Divisadero Area. Arrive at Divisadero area around 2PM to stay at the beautiful Mirador Hotel on the rim of the Copper Canyon. The breathtaking view from your balcony is worth the whole trip.
Canyon train ride to Los Mochis, Hotel Santa Anita
The local Tarahumaras may demostrate their racing and dancing traditions for you. The women weave their double-woven sotol (desert spoon) baskets and Apache Pine baskets on the hotel patio. Walk along the rim or wdown to the cave homes. Board the train following lunch for your return trip to Los Mochis. Enjoy the play of the shadows on the river cuts and meadows as you journey late afternoon through the Canyon one last time.
Depart Los Mochis
- Inclusions -
- certified bilingual guide
- Exclusions -
- meals on train
- Extras -
- Flexibility and a sense of adventure is the key to a successful trip in Mexico!We will take opportunities all along the trip to walk through this special country, talk about the history and culture of Indians, the fascinationg history of the railroad and natural history. Optional day walks are easy to moderate difficulty, with the highest elevation we stay at being 7700 ft. The mountain temperatures in the Canyon at this time of the year are very comfortable due to the rainy season and the 5000-8000 ft. elevations.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Los Mochis
Email the tour operator - Mexico's Copper Canyon by Rail
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.