Vancouver Island Rainforest Tour of Tall Trees
- Nature / Eco
- Price from:
- 20 CAD /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
Last updated: 03/14/2007
Explore the ecology of old growth rainforests of some of BC's tallest trees. Discover the birds, wildlife and bizarre secrets of these moss draped cathedrals with a biologist nature tour guide.
Are you dreaming about wandering through a lush maze of BC's ancient coastal temperate rainforests with huge trees more than 2,000 years old stretching higher than most modern skyscrapers? With circumferences exceeding 9.4m (31 ft), it would take at least five tall adults to completely embrace these giant trees. The main big tree species include Sitka Spruce, Western Red Cedar and Douglas Fir. The biggest trees are in the patches of old growth rainforest in Carmanah Walbran Provincial Park, Cathedral Grove, Clayquot Sound and other areas. BC's pacific temperate rainforests have among the highest biomass per hectare of any ecosystem on earth. Old growth rainforest species are still being discovered. Bird watching opportunities include many species such as owls, bats, woodpeckers and varied thrushes which thrive in old growth rainforests and their complex structure of multiple canopies, dead standing trees, rotten logs and openings with berry bushes. You may come across the secretive red backed salamanders or little critters that smell like cherries. In the right season sample a diversity of berries and witness the flowers of the rainforest. Come with us and explore the mysteries of the ecology of the forest beyond the trees.
An eco adventure tour popular with budding naturalists of all ages and abilities is Macmillan Provincial Park. Cathedral Grove tours offer excellent nature photography opportunities include 800 year old giant trees and the sparkling waters of Cameron Lake and Cameron River. There are 15 tree species in the park. There are bird watching opportunities for species dependent on old growth pacific temperate rainforests.
- Exclusions -
- transportation is available for an extra charge of $50-80 per hour for a van or bus
- Extras -
- Call or check website for custom nature tours, scheduled tours and group tours. Ecotours are offered year round and can be catered to any ability, age or interest.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Parksville
Email the tour operator - Vancouver Island Rainforest Tour of Tall Trees
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.