Terrace Houses & Ephesus Tour
- Price from:
- 45 EUR /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- Location Start:
- Izmir Harbor
- Location Finish:
- Izmir Harbor
- We Speak:
- Polish, Dutch, Russian, German, Italian, Spanish, French, English
Last updated: 07/13/2008
We offer private shore excursions in Kusadasi, shore tours Izmir, shore excursions istanbul, private shore excursions for ephesus, Travel to Turkey with us.
Ephesus terrace houses are located on the slopes of Bulbul Mountain, opposite the Hadrian Temple. Also called as "the houses of rich", these houses were for the important and wealthy people of Ephesus, as only rich people could afford such houses.
The houses were in a form that on each terrace, two houses, one facing the street on east and one facing the street on west, were built. The oldest of the houses were built in the first century BC, and most of the houses were restored in the second century AD. The houses seemed plain from outside, but inside were constructed with the highest standards of their date. They were decorated with mosaics and frescoes, and they had interior courtyards (peristyle) in the center, with the ceiling open.
These houses were mostly two-storied, upper stores have collapsed during time. On the ground floor there were living and dining rooms opening to the hall, and upstairs there were bedrooms and guest rooms. The heating system of the houses were the same as that in baths. Clay pipes beneath the floors and behind the walls carried hot air through the houses. The houses also had cold and hot water. The rooms had no window, only illuminated with light coming from the open hall, so that most of the rooms were dim. The excavations of the terrace houses started in 1960. The first frescoes, mosaics and other things found were taken to museums, but after that findings have been left in their original places. The restoration of the two of the houses have been finished and can be visited today.
- Inclusions -
- Professional licensed tour guide
- Exclusions -
- Personal expenses
- Extras -
- Experience the wonders of magnificent tours in the Turkey
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Izmir
- Daily Ephesus Tours from Izmir port 2 - from 73 USD
- Daily Ephesus Tours from Izmir Port 1 - from 53 USD
- Izmir City Tour - from 50 EUR
- Izmir Tours - from 30 USD
- Izmir City Center Tour - from 55 EUR
- Ephesus Sightseeing Tour - from 25 EUR
- Ephesus Tours for Cruise Passangers - from 38 EUR
- Private Shore Excurions - from 90 USD
- Izmir Shore Excursions - from 32 EUR
- Shore Tours Ephesus - from 42 EUR
- High Lights Of Ephesus - from 90 USD
Email the tour operator - Terrace Houses & Ephesus Tour
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.