Tour of Madrid Self Guided
- Price from:
- 650 EUR /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 7 days
- Location Start:
- Hotel in Madrid
- Location Finish:
- Hotel in Madrid
- We Speak:
- Spanish, French, English, German, Dutch
Last updated: 11/10/2006
This trip combines the peace and quiet of the Sierra de Guadarrama with some of the areas most important monuments such as the monasteries of El Escorial and Rascafría
Day 1 Madrid-Soto del Real (MADRID)
Guests of Bike Spain Tours are taken by van to the town of Soto del Real. Once we arrive at the hotel and have had a chance to unpack, we'll have a welcome drink, fit your bikes and provide you with the road book and maps for the tour. Dinner that night will be in the hotel.
Día 2 Soto del Real-Buitrago del Lozoya
50 kms. Some small hills. 300 mts ascent.
Passing through the town of Torrelaguna (one of the oldest settlements in the area, with some interesting Renaissance palaces and churches), the route continues through small villages and hamlets on its way to Buitrago de Lozoya. Nestled on the banks of the Lozoya Reservoir, the town is extremely popular with Madrileños who come for the restaurants and to stroll through the narrow streets and along the battlements of its walls.
Día 3 Buitrago de Lozoya-Rascafría
35/50 km. Rolling terrain. 200 mts ascent.
Today's route follows the Lozoya Valley along the southern flanks of the Sierra de Guadarrama mountain range to the town of Rascafría, home of the El Paular Monastery, founded in the fourteenth century. The monastery's architecture reflects the hodge-podge of cultures which have invaded this part of the country : everything from Gothic to Baroque.
Day 4 Rascafría-Escorial
48 km. One climbing. 700 mts ascent, then a long downhill ride.
We start the morning with a leisurely climb to the south face of the Guadarrama mountains. From the Navacerrada Pass (great for photo opportunities!) there's an amazing ride down through some mountainside villages to the town of San Lorenzo del Escorial. Built between 1563 and 1584, the Monastery of El Escorial was the biggest building of the Renaissance period.
Day 5 Escorial-Soto del Real
38 km. 150 mts. ascent.
From El Escorial, we travel through some of the towns on the southern slopes of the mountains. As we approach Soto, we'll pass through (and visit, if time permits) the Castle of Manzanares el Real : which, despite appearances, is an authentic fifteenth-century castle, owned by the Duke of Santillana and leased to the Madrid region. For cyclists who'd like a bit more time in the saddle, there's the opportunity to head into and explore the La Pedriza Nature Reserve.
Day 6 Soto del Real - MADRID
43 Km. on slight downhill.
In 2005, motivated by the needs of cyclists who wanted to go to the Sierra but who didn't want to have to use their cars, the Madrid regional government opened a 40 kilometre-long bike path that links the sierra with the city. We'll use it to return to the city, savouring the expansive views over the plains, and be back in town by lunchtime to give guests the chance to explore more of Madrid on their own.
Day 7 DEPARTURE
After breakfast, end of the trip.
- Inclusions -
- welcome drink
- Exclusions -
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Madrid
- Private Wine Tastings Madrid - from 40 EUR
- Madrid Full Day Tour - from 250 USD
- Madrid and El Escorial Full Day Tour - from 350 USD
- Welcome to Spanish Wine - from 40 EUR
- Private Wine Tastings - from 50 EUR
- Madrid Royal Palace and Panoramic City Tour - from 36 EUR
- El Escorial and Valley of the Fallen Excursion from Madrid - from 50 EUR
- Hisoric City of Toledo Full Day Tour from Madrid - from 65 EUR
- Avila and Segovia Monumental Tour from Madrid - from 62 EUR
- Saint James Way Bike Tour Cycle the Camino de Santiago - 8 days from 1785 EUR
- Spain & Portgugal & Morocco 15 Day Tour Small Group - 15 days from 1895 EUR
- Cathedral Route Around Castilla y Leon - 4 days from 275 EUR
- Madrid and Surroundings - 8 days from 731 EUR
- Discovering Madrid and Andalusia Hotel Package with Chauffeur... - 8 days from 900 EUR
- Treasures Of The Northern Spain - 7 days from 429 EUR
- Madrid and the best of the centre of Spain - 7 days from 970 EUR
- Historic Toledo and Andalusia stay in the Luxury of Paradores - 10 days from 1800 EUR
- Magnificent Spain - 12 days from 4500 USD
Email the tour operator - Tour of Madrid Self Guided
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.