Madrid and the best of the centre of Spain
- Price from:
- 970 EUR /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 7 days
- Location Start:
- Hotel in Madrid
- Location Finish:
- Hotel in Madrid
- We Speak:
- Spanish, French, English, German, Dutch
Last updated: 11/10/2006
Our Madrid and Segovia Guided Tour gets you out of the city to experience the beauty of Madrids surroundings - the Monastery of El Paular, the Aqueduct of Segovia, Toledos narrow, winding alleys.
Day 1 Miraflores de la Sierra (Madrid)
Guests of Bike Spain Tours are taken by van to the town of Miraflores de la Sierra. Once we arrive at the hotel and have had a chance to unpack, we'll have a welcome drink, fit your bikes and provide you with the road book and maps for the tour. If time permits, we'll take a short ride to get acquainted with the terrain.
Día 2 SEGOVIA
After breakfast, we'll drive to the top of the Morcuera Pass to ride down and through the beautiful Lozoya Valley and visit the El Paular monastery and ride along the edges of the Pinilla Reservoir. Then we'll take the van over the Navafría Pass and ride along the northern flank of the Guadarrama Mountains, travelling through oak and pine forests on back country roads to the town of Pedraza, a perfectly preserved medieval town, complete with castle. We'll have lunch in Pedraza and travel by van to Segovia, where we'll stay the night in a historic hotel located in the city's Plaza Mayor, after we have a chance to visit Segovia's cathedral and Alcázar.
Día 3 El Escorial (MADRID)
Segovia's ancient streets and medieval neighbourhoods provide a great place to start today's riding. We'll pass along the ancient city walls, under the world-famous Roman aqueduct and go by some marvellously old monasteries as we travel around the city and head towards the town of San Ildefonso de la Granja, built by the first Bourbon monarchs of Spain, who were determined to re-create a little piece of Versailles in the dry plains of Spain. From there, we'll drive to the town of El Escorial and visit the Monastery of San Lorenzo. Built between 1563 and 1584, the Monastery was the biggest building of the Renaissance period.
Día 4 TOLEDO
The mountainside setting of El Escorial is a favourite location for cycle tourists and road bikers alike; once we've had the chance to explore the area surrounding the San Lorenzo Monastery, we'll jump in the van and go further back in time, to the world-famous city of Toledo, which was the capital of the country in the 15th century and was once the most famous seat of learning in the peninsula. Every square inch of the hill rising from the banks of the Tagus River has been built upon, and the city is home to innumerable convents, churches, museums, synagogues and palaces. Take the afternoon to discover the narrow alleys and hillside staircases that have inspired everyone from artist El Greco to novelist Noah Gordon.
Day 5 MADRID
After a quick van transfer, we'll head to the town of Chinchón, which has one of the prettiest town squares in the region. From there, we'll ride through the rolling countryside to the town of Aranjuez, going by wineries, olive grove and melon farms. We'll reach Aranjuez just in time to visit the 18th-century Aranjuez Palace (recently restored, it contains all of its orginal furnishings) and in the afternoon, we'll head back to Madrid.
Day 6 MADRID
The final day of the tour gives you the chance to discover Madrid on your own, either on foot or by bike. There's so much to do that it almost seems unfair to list all the possibilities, but favourites of past participants : and of most visitors to Madrid! : include the Big Three museums (the Prado, the Thyssen-Bornemisza and the Reina Sofía), the beauty of the Retiro Park, or the wide open spaces of the Casa de Campo Park (perfect for those who'd like a spin on a mountain bike!) In the evening, you're free to go on your own tapas crawl, take in a flamenco show or see something cultural at the Teatro Real or the Teatro Nacional (we'll be happy to make the reservations for you.
Day 7 MADRID
Transfer to the airport. Time to say goodbye to the capital. We hope that the tour has given you the opportunity to discover the natural beauty and historic depth of Madrid and the surrounding region.
- Exclusions -
- Extras -
Accommodation, buffet breakfast, 4 lunches, transfers, quality touring bike, travel insurance and some special gifts
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Madrid
- Private Wine Tastings Madrid - from 40 EUR
- Madrid Full Day Tour - from 250 USD
- Madrid and El Escorial Full Day Tour - from 350 USD
- Welcome to Spanish Wine - from 40 EUR
- Private Wine Tastings - from 50 EUR
- Madrid Royal Palace and Panoramic City Tour - from 36 EUR
- El Escorial and Valley of the Fallen Excursion from Madrid - from 50 EUR
- Hisoric City of Toledo Full Day Tour from Madrid - from 65 EUR
- Avila and Segovia Monumental Tour from Madrid - from 62 EUR
- Saint James Way Bike Tour Cycle the Camino de Santiago - 8 days from 1785 EUR
- Spain & Portgugal & Morocco 15 Day Tour Small Group - 15 days from 1895 EUR
- Cathedral Route Around Castilla y Leon - 4 days from 275 EUR
- Madrid and Surroundings - 8 days from 731 EUR
- Discovering Madrid and Andalusia Hotel Package with Chauffeur... - 8 days from 900 EUR
- Treasures Of The Northern Spain - 7 days from 429 EUR
- Tour of Madrid Self Guided - 7 days from 650 EUR
- Historic Toledo and Andalusia stay in the Luxury of Paradores - 10 days from 1800 EUR
- Magnificent Spain - 12 days from 4500 USD
Email the tour operator - Madrid and the best of the centre of Spain
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.