Madrid and Surroundings
- Price from:
- 731 EUR /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
Last updated: 03/18/2009
Get to know the capital of the country and its beatifull surroundings
Arrival to Madrid and accommodation at the hotel Vincci Soho
Full day in Madrid.
The capital of Spain, it not only offers the culture and good times of a sophisticated, modern city but it also retains the charm and elegance of its early years. Among the splendid attractions of Madrid are the Prado Museum; home to masterworks of Goya, Velazquez and El Greco: the 19th century Villahermosa Palace now the Thyssen-Bornemizsa Museum; the Reina Sofia Art Centre showcasing more than 300 modern works by Dali, Miro & Picasso among others; the 18th century Royal Palace, situated on the lovely Plaza de Oriente; the bustling Puerta del Sol with its many shops, restaurants and tapas bars; Rastro Market on Sundays one of the oldest outdoor markets in Europe; and Retiro Park for strolling while admiring local artists and buskers.
Accommodation at the hotel Vincci Soho
Day Visiting the Monasterio de San Lorenzo de El Escorial
This spectacular and massive monastery-palace stands in the sierra de Guadarrama to the northwest of Madrid. It was built between 1563 and 1584, in honour of St. Lawrence (San Lorenzo). Its artistic wealth includes important works of the royal Habsburg collections and over 40,000 books in the library, which ceilings are decorated with frescoes by Tibaldi. Of special interest are the Royal Pantheon and the Museum of Art. Accommodation of your choice in Madrid.Its artistic wealth contains some important works of the royal Habsburg collections and over 40,000 books contained in the library, which ceilings are decorated with frescoes by Tibaldi. Of special interest also are the Royal Pantheon, full of urns of Spanish monarchs, and the Museum of Art, with Flemish, Italian and Spanish paintings hanging in there.
Accommodation at the hotel Vincci Soho
Day trip to Cuenca.
Situated, as many old cities in Spain, upon a hill, Cuenca has a very picturesque old town, and is one of the most unusual and dramatic fortress-cities in Spain. Around the Moorish style part of the city grew the Gothic and Renaissance one.
The Hanging Houses (Casas Colgadas) are its landmark, dating from the 14th century. Once used as a summer residence for the Royal Family, one of the houses today the Museo de Arte Abstracto (Abstract Art Museum), containing works by the movement's leading artist, including Antoni Tapies and Eduardo Chillida.
The main building of Cuenca is the Cathedral, one of the most original works of Spanish gothic, with Anglo-Roman influences. Highlights of the Cathedra, built between the 12th and 16th century are the altar and the side chapels.
Accommodation in Toledo at the hotel Hesperia Toledo
Full day in Toledo.
This marvellous city is picturesquely sited upon a hill and behind the walls surrounding it lies much evidence of the city's rich history. In the Middle Ages Christian, Muslim and Jewish cultures lived side by side here, and it was during the same period that the Cathedral, the city's most outstanding monument was built.
The Mudejar Art style is well represented in Toledo and two of the best examples are the synagogues of Santa Maria La Blanca and El Transito. The latter, of the late 12th century, is of an exotic influence and mixture of arts. The former, of the 14th century, has one of the best coffered ceilings in Toledo. Other interesting places to visit are the Taller del Moro (Toor's Workshop) and The Cristo de la Luz (Christ's Light).
Toledo also houses many of the works of El Greco who came to live here in the 16th century.
Accommodation at the hotel Hesperia Toledo
Leave Toledo and continue to Avila.
Avila is the highest of the provincial capitals and also declared Heritage of Mankind by UNESCO. It´s best views are from from Los Cuatro Postes from where one can see the remarkable medieval walls, the Alcazar gate, the Cathedral and the Basilica de San Vicente. Spectacularly illuminated at night, the city walls, built by Christian nobles in the 11th century, are punctuated by 90 crenelated towers and nice arched gateways. A square-towered cathedral, with brilliantly carved choir, lovely chapels and a museum full of fine paintings dominates the low skyline. The town´s most celebrated resident was Saint Teresa, and the first of the convents she founded is now a museum here, giving the city an aura of austere spirituality.
Accommodation at the Parador in Avila.
A day in the remarkable city of Segovia. Here there are countless traces of the past to be seen in buildings and remains of the old city. Most remarkable of all its landmarks is the incredible Roman aqueduct that towers over the town. Although it dates from the 1st century AD, it was still in use until two centuries ago. The awe-inspiring Alcazar (which inspired Walt Disney) has presided over the city since the middle ages and the imposing 16th century gothic Cathedral is also quite spectacular. `Cochinio Asado´ (roast suckling pig) is just one of the many delicious local dishes one must try.
Accommodation in Segovia, hotel Los Linajes
- Inclusions -
- Full breakfast daily
- Exclusions -
- Anything else not mentioend above
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Madrid
- Private Wine Tastings Madrid - from 40 EUR
- Madrid Full Day Tour - from 250 USD
- Madrid and El Escorial Full Day Tour - from 350 USD
- Welcome to Spanish Wine - from 40 EUR
- Private Wine Tastings - from 50 EUR
- Madrid Royal Palace and Panoramic City Tour - from 36 EUR
- El Escorial and Valley of the Fallen Excursion from Madrid - from 50 EUR
- Hisoric City of Toledo Full Day Tour from Madrid - from 65 EUR
- Avila and Segovia Monumental Tour from Madrid - from 62 EUR
- Saint James Way Bike Tour Cycle the Camino de Santiago - 8 days from 1785 EUR
- Spain & Portgugal & Morocco 15 Day Tour Small Group - 15 days from 1895 EUR
- Cathedral Route Around Castilla y Leon - 4 days from 275 EUR
- Discovering Madrid and Andalusia Hotel Package with Chauffeur... - 8 days from 900 EUR
- Treasures Of The Northern Spain - 7 days from 429 EUR
- Madrid and the best of the centre of Spain - 7 days from 970 EUR
- Tour of Madrid Self Guided - 7 days from 650 EUR
- Historic Toledo and Andalusia stay in the Luxury of Paradores - 10 days from 1800 EUR
- Magnificent Spain - 12 days from 4500 USD
Email the tour operator - Madrid and Surroundings
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.