Girona and the Costa Brava Trail
- Price from:
- 65 EUR /person
- 0034 - 93 211 95 66
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 11 hours
- Location Start:
- Plaza Catalunya
- Location Finish:
- Plaza Catalunya
- Start time:
- 08.30 am
- End time:
- 07.30 pm
- We Speak:
- German, Spanish, English, French, Catalan
Last updated: 12/10/2008
Visit the colourful historical city of Girona, a cosmos of melting cultures. Then admire the breath-taking seaviews, cliffs and coves of the Costa Brava and stop in the fishermen village of Calella.
GIRONA AND THE COSTA BRAVA TRAIL ITINERARY
Runs every Monday, Wednesday and Friday
The tour leaves Barcelona at 8:30am and heads straight up to Girona, a well-established city that has survived many a siege in the course of its long history, since its founding in around 76 BC. It has been dominated by many different peoples, and as a result has a great richness of architectural heritage. The Cathedral, founded in 1038 on the site of a former Mosque, and the spectacular Roman walls, along which you can walk when they are open, are just two examples of this. The river Onyar neatly divides the city in two, separating the old town from the new town. There is a wide variety of museums and sites of historical interest in Girona, or if you prefer, the narrow streets of the old town are very pleasant just to wander around, for window-shopping or for a quiet coffee while watching the people pass by.
From Girona, the tour will head to the Santuari dels Angels, a beauty spot of such attraction that Salvador Dali chose it for his wedding to Gala. On a clear day, this spot offers panoramic views of the whole Girona region.
We will then make our way to Pals, a small city that grew from a fortress. The name of the city comes from palus, the Latin word for marshlands, as this is just what the fortress used to be surrounded by, although they have long since dried out. More recently, the town's beach became famous as the location of the masts for Radio Liberty, a US radio station used to broadcast pro-capitalist programmes into the Eastern bloc during the cold war; the masts can still be seen. We will stop in Pals for lunch.
From Pals, we will head to the fishing village of Calella de Palafrugell, passing Begur on the way. Begur, with its hilly landscape and therefore commanding views of the surrounding area, was also the site of a fortress and castle; in total, these were destroyed three times throughout their long history, and now only ruins remain. There will be opportunities to stop for photographs along this road.
Arriving in Calella de Palafrugell, you will be struck by the clean lines of the whitewashed houses that almost reach right down to the seafront. Here, you can explore the rocky coastline, perhaps taking a dip in the inviting waters, or you can follow the coastline round to the beautiful clifftop botanic gardens at Cap Roig, the result of a romantic 1920s love story, which took 50 years to complete.
From Calella de Palafrugell we will return to Barcelona, arriving at 7:30pm.
- Exclusions -
- Museum Entrance fees
- Extras -
- Departure point:
Tours depart from Plaç¡ Catalunya outside Banco de Españ¡ ¯pposite the Tourist Information Centre. See Map (opens in new window).
Transport in a small luxury minicoach, with full air conditioning.
The services of a professional Rabbie's guide, who will provide a guided tour in English.
Lunch and refreshments.
Entrance to the Botanic Gardens at Cap Roig.
Lunches - are not included. However we stop in places where you have a range of lunch options to suit all budgets.
Because we believe in time off the bus and give you opportunities to get out and about, please bring suitable clothing, footwear, and sun protection.
You will also have an opportunity to go swimming at Calella de Palafrugell, so if you want, bring your swimming costume and a beach towel.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Barcelona
- Jewish Tour Jewish Barcelona - from 150 EUR
- Montserrat & Gaudi & Modernism - from 49 EUR
- Dali & Costa Brava Tour - from 69 EUR
- Full Day Private Priorat Wine Tour Gourmet Lunch - from 180 EUR
- Private Wine Cava Tour To The Penedes and Gourmet Lunch - from 170 EUR
- Barcelona Tapas Tour - from 95 USD
- Wheelchair Accessible City Tour - from 60 EUR
- Full Day Tour of Barcelona city and Montserrat Mountain - from 125 USD
- Gorgeous Illa Fantasia - from 13 EUR
- Full Day Tour of Barcelona city and Montserrat Mountain - from 140 USD
- Wine Tour The Wine and Cava region of Penedes - from 210 USD
- PhotoCircuits Barcelona - from 45 EUR
- Group Wine Tasting and Tapa Tour in Barcelona Old Town - from 80 EUR
- Penedes or Priorat Gran Reserva Exclusive Wine and Gastronomy... - from 315 EUR
- All Barcelona Monumental Highlights Tour - from 475 EUR
- Gaudi Barcelona Half Day Tour - from 47 EUR
- Montserrat & Winery - from 45 EUR
- Montserrat & Cavas trail - from 55 EUR
- Tarragona and glamorous Sitges - from 65 EUR
- Pyrenees & Vic - from 75 EUR
- Of Wine and Mushrooms Barcelona - 9 days from 2380 USD
- Romanesque Route and Pyrenees - 11 days from 1990 USD
- Barcelona and Zaragoza Expo 2008 - 7 days from 1760 USD
- Architecture Gaudi Barcelona and Gehry Bilbao - 8 days from 1096 EUR
- Southern Catalunya Bike and Wine Country Weekend Tour - 3 days from 549 EUR
- A Winter Wine Week - 8 days from 2165 USD
- Culinary Short Break in Barcelona Cooking Class and Wine Tour - 4 days from 425 EUR
Email the tour operator - Girona and the Costa Brava Trail
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.