The 2010 Romanian Rhapsody Tour
- Price from:
- 1489 USD /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 11 days
- Location Start:
- Location Finish:
- Start time:
- 12.30 pm
- End time:
- 03.30 pm
- We Speak:
Last updated: 09/17/2009
A premium quality tour exclusively designed for any traveler. You go "behind the scenes" to experience the customs, color and traditions of this beautiful country.
Day 1: Bucharest
Arrival to Coanda International Airport in Bucharest. Meet and greet by your professional English speaking tour guide. Transfer to your downtown Bucharest hotel. Afternoon at leisure. In the evening enjoy a Welcome Dinner and a Folklore Show. Accommodation at Opera Hotel (centrally located boutique hotel). Includes: (D).
Day 2: Bucharest - Cozia - Sibiu
Hot and cold buffet breakfast at hotel. This morning take a city tour of Bucharest including the Revolution Square, the Palace of the Parliament - the second largest building in the world after the Pentagon, the Church of the Patriarchy, the Village Museum - one of the world's most interesting open air museums with century old original peasant households from all parts of Romania. Enjoy a lunch with traditional skinless sausages on the grill at the Hunchback's. Before leaving for Sibiu visit a a typical 1930 downtown Bucharest apartment: an authentic example of the prewar architecture and city life style. On route, make a short stop to the 14th century Cozia Monastery built by Prince Mircea the Old. Drive along the Olt River Canyon crossing the mountains into Transylvania. Reach Sibiu. Brief orientation tour on the way to the hotel. Overnight in Sibiu's famous Romans' Emperor Hotel, first built at the end of the 18th century. Dinner on own. Suggested is Crama Sibiul Vechi, best cellar - restaurants in town, serving Transylvanian fares. Accommodation in Sibiu at Imparatul Romanilor Hotel. A landmark of Sibiu's architecture, wonderfully restored. Includes: (B), (L).
Day 3: Sibiu - Huniady (Corvin) Castle - Cluj Napoca
Hot and cold buffet breakfast at hotel. Start your day with a leisurely walking tour of Sibiu, the chief city of the Transylvanian Germans. View the old surrounding defense walls and the remaining towers each belonging to a certain guild. One of the landmarks of Sibiu is the Bruckenthal Museum assembled by baron Bruckenthal, governor of Transylvania at the beginning of the 19th century and the second museum to ever open in Europe. Next is the Evangelical Cathedral completed in its actual shape in 1520, but inside there is an exquisite fresco of the Crucifixion on the north wall of the choir dating from 1445. The tour ends with the original Pharmacy Museum. Before noon depart for Hunedoara for a visit of Huniady Castle - one of the most well preserved Gothic castles of Transylvania and home to the mighty Huniady royal family. Late afternoon arrival to Cluj Napoca. Hotel check in. Accommodation in Cluj at Hotel Victoria(located off the Main Square). Includes: (B).
Day 4: Cluj Napoca - Baia Mare - Maramures Region
Hot and cold buffet breakfast at hotel. This morning you will have a choice between a stroll in the Botanical Gardens of Cluj or a guided tour of the Ethnographic Museum. Later drive north towards Baia Mare and reach the splendid region of Maramures (northern Transylvania). Due to the relative isolation of their land, the people of Maramures developed a particularly strong community, with a unique personality, traditions, culture, fashion and lifestyle unspoiled for centuries. Stop in the villages of Giulesti for the dowry tradition and Mara for the wonderfully carved wooden gates. Accommodation in a private house in the village of Iza. Dinner (and plum brandy) is included so that people get deeper into the local culture. Our hosts will join for dinner, this being a first hand cultural interchange. Home stay accommodation (modern villa) or Casa Maramures in Sighet (on request) two nights. Large family home -renovated into a modern villa with all modern facilities. The location is excellent, in a small village, far away from the main street. Includes: (B), (D).
Day 5: Maramures: Iza - Sighetul Marmatiei - Sapinta Village
After breakfast, take an exclusively designed walking tour of the village of Iza including an icon-on-glass workshop, a plum brandy distillery and a typical whirlpool. Enter the new Orthodox church of the village which, in 2009, will be in the process of getting painted in fresco. Then drive to the nearby town of Sighet to mingle with the locals at the colorful fruit and vegetable market where you will have the oportunity to sample various produce. Continue to the Anti Communist Memorial - a political prison in the Communist times. The visit here provides a direct connection to Romania's most recent history. Next is the house of Nobel Prize winner, Elie Wiesel. Continue west along Tisa River (very close to the Ukrainian border) and reach the village of Sapinta world famous for its "Merry Cemetery". Here each wooden cross carries a funny epitaph about the person's life. Late in the afternoon return to Iza for dinner on an exclusively organized Maramures folklore show and accommodation. Home stay accommodation (or hotel on request). Includes: (B), (D).
Day 6: Maramures: Iza Valley - Campulung - Gura Humor (Bucovina)
Following breakfast continue exploring Maramures. Stop in the village of Rozavlea for a visit to the workshop of a famous master carver in his workshop. He represented Romania at the 1999 Smithsonian World Festival in Washington, DC. Next is the exquisite Barsana Monastery, a great example of Maramures wooden church architecture. Cross the Carpathian Mountains into the northern part of Moldavia called Bucovina. In Campulung enjoy an exclusively organized interactive egg-painting demonstration by a local artist, this being on of the local traditions of the area. You will also have the chance to admire painted eggs from all over the world. After arriving in Gura Humorului, check into the hotel. Evening at leisure. Accommodation in Gura Humorului at Hotel Passiflora (two nights). Includes: (B).
Day 7: Bucovina Painted Monasteries (UNESCO World Heritage Sites)
A la carte breakfast at hotel. Bucovina monasteries are gems of medieval Moldavian architecture and artistry. Begin your day with Voronet, the most famous out of all, known as the Sistine Chapel of the East and featuring one the best Last Judgment fresco in this part of the World. Next is Moldovita Monastery where the UNESCO Golden Apple Award given to the painted churches in 1975, is kept. As a cultural connection, enjoy a traditional gourmet Bucovina lunch in the picturesque village of Sucevita. Later continue to the nearby Sucevita Monastery, which is the largest of all, looking more like a mighty fortress than a monastery. The Ladder of John of Sinai is considered one of the best of the frescoes of Sucevita, rarely present in medieval Romanian art. In the village of Marginea visit the black pottery workshop - they use a technique called "oxygen reduction", there is the same technique in Mexico only! End your day with Humor Convent. Accommodation in Gura Humorului at Hotel Passiflora. Includes: (B), (L).
Day 8: Gura Humorului - Piatra Neamt - Bicaz Gorges - Red Lake - Sighisoara
A la carte breakfast at hotel. Begin your day with a picturesque drive south to Piatra Neamt for a tour of the only wooden synagogue in Romania (dating back from the 17th century) and built half underground. Later reach Bicaz Gorges where the surroundings are dramatic. Stop over in the Gorges. Optional lunch in the resort of Lacu Rosu (restaurants here specialize in naturally grown trout). Once passing the Red Lake you are back to Transylvania. Afternoon arrival to Sighisoara - World Heritage Site and the only still inhabited medieval citadel in Europe. Accommodation in either one of the three hotels in the Upper Town. Optional dinner at the Birthplace of Vlad Dracula. Accommodation at Hotel Sighisoara/Casa Wagner/House with Antler (two nights). Includes: (B).
Day 9: Sighisoara
Before starting your walking tour of old Sighisoara attend an exclusive talk on Vlad the Impaler - Dracula, what is truth and what fiction. Sighisoara is one of a kind. It was developed by the German settlers as of late 12 C. It stands on a network of tunnels and catacombs and, according to one version of the myth; this is where the Pied Piper brought the children of Hamelin after their ungrateful parents refused to pay him his due. Walking tour includes the two squares of the Citadel (Upper Town), the Scholars' Staircase, the House with Antler, the Tower with Clock (climb up for a great view), the Torture Chamber and the Weapon Museum. Sighisoara is the place where the Vlad the Impaler Dracula was born in 1431. The Birthplace is one of the main tourist attractions. The rest of the day is at leisure or drive to the fortified church of Biertan, a World Heritage Site for a visit of the former Seat of the Lutheran Bishops. Optional plum brandy and sausage tasting (15 Euro per person). Accommodation in Sighisoara. Includes (B).
Day 10: Sighisoara - Brasov - Dracula's Castle - Sinaia
Hot and cold buffet breakfast at hotel. Leave Sighisoara in the morning. Journey south through the picturesque Transylvanian Plateau to Brasov to admire the 14C Black Church with its 4,000 pipe organ and over a hundred Anatolian prayer rugs. The attraction of the day is Bran Castle also known as Dracula Castle. The castle was built in 1377 to safeguard the trading route between Transylvania and Wallachia, enlarged and restored a few times. Late afternoon arrival to Sinaia mountain resort. Named after St. Catherine Monastery on Mount Sinai, Sinaia became the unofficial capital of the Kingdom of Romania towards the end of the 19th century. Orientation tour of the resort including the famous Casino, inspired by the one in Monte Carlo. Evening at leisure. Accommodation in Sinaia at Palace Hotel. Includes: (B).
Day 11: Sinaia - Bucharest
Hot and cold buffet breakfast at hotel. In the morning take a guided tour of the Peles Castle and Gardens in Sinaia, the royal residence of King Charles I of Romania and known as one of the most beautiful summer royal residences in Europe. After the visit drive to Bucharest Coanda Airport for your return flight. Or take our "The Black Sea and Danube Delta extension".
- Extras -
- Probably the best tour of Romania on the market !!
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Bucharest
- Dracula Castel Tour - from 150 EUR
- Bucharest Little Paris - from 45 EUR
- Revolution Tours - from 5 EUR
- One Day Trip To Peles Castle And Bran Dracula Castle - from 249 EUR
- Half Day Bucharest Sightseeing Tour Daily - from 30 EUR
- Panoramic Bucharest - from 42 EUR
- Discover Bucharest - from 52 EUR
- Bucharest Walking Tour - from 19 EUR
- Jewish Heritage of Bucharest - from 51 EUR
- A Day In and Around Bucharest - from 74 EUR
- Caldarusani St Nicholas and Cozieni Monasteries - from 52 EUR
- Bran Castle & Peles Palace - from 68 EUR
- Bucharest Dracula Day Trip - from 129 EUR
- Helicopter Tour Over Bucharest - from 374 EUR
- Helicopter Escapade A Glimpse Of Transylvania - from 6999 EUR
- Helicopter Dinning - from 4999 EUR
- Constanta and ancient Greek city of Histria 1 day trip from... - from 140 EUR
- Transylvania Castle Tour from Bucharest - from 105 EUR
- Night Tour of Bucharest and Club Dracula - from 85 EUR
- Vagabond Ski in Transylvania - from 399 EUR
- Peles Palace & Pelisor & and Sinaia Monastery Tour from... - from 100 EUR
- Bucharest Sightseeing Day1 - from 25 EUR
- Bucharest Sightseeing Day2 - from 25 EUR
- Castles Medieval Fortress And Brasov - from 44 EUR
- Dracula and Brasov Tour - from 44 EUR
- Little Paris All Highlights of Bucharest Full Day Tour - from 60 EUR
- Snagov Monastery, Mogosoaia Palace and Equestrian Center Tour... - from 70 EUR
- Snagov Lake Excursion from Bucharest - from 70 EUR
- Mogosoaia Castle Excursion from Bucharest - from 50 EUR
- The Awarded Dracula Halloween Tour in Transylvania - 7 days from 1289 EUR
- Romania Visit Dracula Land - 10 days from 650 EUR
- Central Highlights Circuit - 8 days from 420 EUR
- Misteries of Eastern Romania - 7 days from 300 EUR
- UNESCO Sites in Romania - 13 days from 1433 EUR
- All Romania Tour - 12 days from 1195 EUR
- Fortresses of Transylvania Painted Monasteries of Bukovina - 9 days from 904 EUR
- Civilization focused Tour in Romania - 9 days from 830 EUR
- Jewish Heritage in Romania - 8 days from 896 EUR
- Romania at a Glance - 6 days from 582 EUR
- A Bite of Romania - 5 days from 494 EUR
- A Sip of Romania - 4 days from 394 EUR
- Weekend in Transylvania - 3 days from 230 EUR
- Halloween Party In Transylvania With Vlad The Impaler - 2 days from 249 EUR
- Introduction to Transylvania 2 days tour - 2 days from 230 EUR
- Transylvania in 3 days - 3 days from 295 EUR
- Grand Tour of Romania World Heritage Monuments - 12 days from 1175 EUR
- The Real Dracula Tour Truth and Myth of the Legend of Vlad... - 8 days from 840 EUR
- Weekend Excursion To Transylvania Short Break Tour with... - 3 days from 325 EUR
- Private Tour For A Family With One Child - 17 days from 14369 EUR
- Best of Romania with Danube Delta - 15 days from 3689 EUR
- Best of Transylvania and Romania - 10 days from 1589 EUR
- 3 Days Tour On Valea Prahovei - 3 days from 100 GBP
- 3 weeks RezervationTour - 21 days from 100 GBP
- Bike Tour of Transylvania on the trails of Dracula - 8 days from 675 EUR
- Discover Romania Bike Tour - 16 days from 915 EUR
- Bike and Boat Tour of the Danube Delta in Romania - 9 days from 675 EUR
- Tour of Bucovina and its Beautiful Painted Monasteries - 4 days from 545 EUR
- The Dracula and Transylvania Tour - 5 days from 565 EUR
- Dracula Tour - 6 days from 800 EUR
- Hidden Romania The Flavour of Old Europe - 10 days from 895 EUR
- European Capital Of Culture In 2007 Unesco Heritage Sites and... - 7 days from 395 EUR
- The Historian The Tour - 9 days from 1599 USD
- Cultural Hiking Tour through the Carpathian Mountains of Romania - 9 days from 605 EUR
- Wine and Gastronomy Tour of Romania - 7 days from 725 EUR
- Transylvania and the Black Sea Coast Vacation - 12 days from 895 EUR
- Tour of Romania UNESCO monuments in Maramures, Bucovina and... - 7 days from 840 EUR
- The Real Dracula Halloween Tour - 7 days from 750 EUR
- Medieval Romania Tour of Transylvania - 5 days from 615 EUR
Email the tour operator - The 2010 Romanian Rhapsody Tour
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.