Constanta and ancient Greek city of Histria 1 day trip from Bucharest
- Price from:
- 140 EUR /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- Location Start:
- Location Finish:
- Start time:
- 09.00 am
- End time:
- 08.00 pm
- We Speak:
- German, English
Last updated: 03/25/2008
Enjoy a day trip on the shore of the Black Sea. Your private guide will pick you up from your hotel and drive you to Constanta, the main city on the Romanian Black Sea coast!
Modern Constanta was built on the spot of the former ancient Greek colony of Tomis. The city was then taken over by the Romans, the Byzantines, and the Genovese. Visit the Archaeology Museum in the Ovid Square. On the ground-floor it exhibits artifacts from the Greek and Roman periods and on the first floor presents the history of Romania from Neolithic to modern times. Near the museum you will visit the Roman mosaic discovered in 1959. It has a surface of around 700 sqm, full of geometric and floral designs and was the ancient Greek agora and then the Roman forum. Once you exit the mosaic, hear the story and see the statue of the ancient Roman poet Ovid, which was banned to ancient Tomis by the Roman emperor Augustus. He was never allowed back to Rome and was buried somewhere in Tomis, but his tomb was never found. Walk then to the big mosque of Constanta, built around 100 years ago. For a good panorama of the city, you can climb the minaret. For far away, you will visit the Orthodox cathedral, where you will find out more about Orthodoxism and Byzantine style frescoes. The walking tour ends on the shore of the Black Sea, where the famous Casino lies.
For an optional coffee break or lunch drive shortly to the nearby resort of Mamaia.
Continue then north of Constanta, on the shore of the Black Sea, where you will visit the ancient Greek colony of Histria, the best preserved Greek colony in Romania.
The city was founded in the 7th century B.C by colonists coming from the city of Milet in Asia Minor, nowadays Turkey. Soon it became a rich city, trading especially with the Dacians, the local population. It was inhabited for 1300 years both by Greek and Romans, being in the end destroyed by the Slavic and Avar tribes.
Your guide will give you a tour of the Histria ruins, making the city come to life again.
Maybe you will even have the chance to watch the archaeologists at work!
You have also time to walk freely through the ancient walls and to visit the small and fine Archaeology Museum at the entrance.
After the visit your private tour guide will drive you back to your hotel in Bucharest.
- Inclusions -
- - Private driver-guide for the duration of the tour
- Exclusions -
- - Others not listed as included
- Extras -
- You have the opportunity to visit the Romanian Black Sea coast and some of the most valuable archaeological sites in Romania. If you feel in the mood for it, you can take also your bathing suite with you and bath in the Black Sea!
Book your excursion today!
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Bucharest
- Dracula Castel Tour - from 150 EUR
- Bucharest Little Paris - from 45 EUR
- Revolution Tours - from 5 EUR
- One Day Trip To Peles Castle And Bran Dracula Castle - from 249 EUR
- Half Day Bucharest Sightseeing Tour Daily - from 30 EUR
- Panoramic Bucharest - from 42 EUR
- Discover Bucharest - from 52 EUR
- Bucharest Walking Tour - from 19 EUR
- Jewish Heritage of Bucharest - from 51 EUR
- A Day In and Around Bucharest - from 74 EUR
- Caldarusani St Nicholas and Cozieni Monasteries - from 52 EUR
- Bran Castle & Peles Palace - from 68 EUR
- Bucharest Dracula Day Trip - from 129 EUR
- Helicopter Tour Over Bucharest - from 374 EUR
- Helicopter Escapade A Glimpse Of Transylvania - from 6999 EUR
- Helicopter Dinning - from 4999 EUR
- Transylvania Castle Tour from Bucharest - from 105 EUR
- Night Tour of Bucharest and Club Dracula - from 85 EUR
- Vagabond Ski in Transylvania - from 399 EUR
- Peles Palace & Pelisor & and Sinaia Monastery Tour from... - from 100 EUR
- Bucharest Sightseeing Day1 - from 25 EUR
- Bucharest Sightseeing Day2 - from 25 EUR
- Castles Medieval Fortress And Brasov - from 44 EUR
- Dracula and Brasov Tour - from 44 EUR
- Little Paris All Highlights of Bucharest Full Day Tour - from 60 EUR
- Snagov Monastery, Mogosoaia Palace and Equestrian Center Tour... - from 70 EUR
- Snagov Lake Excursion from Bucharest - from 70 EUR
- Mogosoaia Castle Excursion from Bucharest - from 50 EUR
- The 2010 Romanian Rhapsody Tour - 11 days from 1489 USD
- The Awarded Dracula Halloween Tour in Transylvania - 7 days from 1289 EUR
- Romania Visit Dracula Land - 10 days from 650 EUR
- Central Highlights Circuit - 8 days from 420 EUR
- Misteries of Eastern Romania - 7 days from 300 EUR
- UNESCO Sites in Romania - 13 days from 1433 EUR
- All Romania Tour - 12 days from 1195 EUR
- Fortresses of Transylvania Painted Monasteries of Bukovina - 9 days from 904 EUR
- Civilization focused Tour in Romania - 9 days from 830 EUR
- Jewish Heritage in Romania - 8 days from 896 EUR
- Romania at a Glance - 6 days from 582 EUR
- A Bite of Romania - 5 days from 494 EUR
- A Sip of Romania - 4 days from 394 EUR
- Weekend in Transylvania - 3 days from 230 EUR
- Halloween Party In Transylvania With Vlad The Impaler - 2 days from 249 EUR
- Introduction to Transylvania 2 days tour - 2 days from 230 EUR
- Transylvania in 3 days - 3 days from 295 EUR
- Grand Tour of Romania World Heritage Monuments - 12 days from 1175 EUR
- The Real Dracula Tour Truth and Myth of the Legend of Vlad... - 8 days from 840 EUR
- Weekend Excursion To Transylvania Short Break Tour with... - 3 days from 325 EUR
- Private Tour For A Family With One Child - 17 days from 14369 EUR
- Best of Romania with Danube Delta - 15 days from 3689 EUR
- Best of Transylvania and Romania - 10 days from 1589 EUR
- 3 Days Tour On Valea Prahovei - 3 days from 100 GBP
- 3 weeks RezervationTour - 21 days from 100 GBP
- Bike Tour of Transylvania on the trails of Dracula - 8 days from 675 EUR
- Discover Romania Bike Tour - 16 days from 915 EUR
- Bike and Boat Tour of the Danube Delta in Romania - 9 days from 675 EUR
- Tour of Bucovina and its Beautiful Painted Monasteries - 4 days from 545 EUR
- The Dracula and Transylvania Tour - 5 days from 565 EUR
- Dracula Tour - 6 days from 800 EUR
- Hidden Romania The Flavour of Old Europe - 10 days from 895 EUR
- European Capital Of Culture In 2007 Unesco Heritage Sites and... - 7 days from 395 EUR
- The Historian The Tour - 9 days from 1599 USD
- Cultural Hiking Tour through the Carpathian Mountains of Romania - 9 days from 605 EUR
- Wine and Gastronomy Tour of Romania - 7 days from 725 EUR
- Transylvania and the Black Sea Coast Vacation - 12 days from 895 EUR
- Tour of Romania UNESCO monuments in Maramures, Bucovina and... - 7 days from 840 EUR
- The Real Dracula Halloween Tour - 7 days from 750 EUR
- Medieval Romania Tour of Transylvania - 5 days from 615 EUR
Email the tour operator - Constanta and ancient Greek city of Histria 1 day trip from Bucharest
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.