Best of Transylvania
- Price from:
- 1389 EUR /person
- 0040 364.405.641
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 8 days
- 8 hours
- Location Start:
- Location Finish:
- Start time:
- 12.00 pm
- End time:
- 11.00 am
- We Speak:
- English, Hungarian
Last updated: 12/17/2008
Discover the land beyond the woods, a place of medieval mystery, in addition to the well known Dracula, and ethnographic diversity, where ancient traditions are still preserved in Transylvania!
*Bruckental Museum - Rubens, Tizian, Van Dyke paintings housed by Transylvania?s top museum. Visit churches and significant cultural places
*Dracula's Castle in Bistrita - the one mentioned in Bram Stoker's ?Dracula?
*Sighisoara - the best preserved and still inhabited medieval citadel in Europe
*Merry Cemetery - discover how a cemetery can be merry in the picturesque and traditional area of Maramures
*Famous Craftsman Grigore Tulean - will introduce you in the art of wood carving
*Turzii's Gorges - one of the most important natural reservations of the Apuseni Mountains
Budapest - Satu Mare
We begin our Transylvanian adventure from Budapest. Our guide picks you up from the airport and presents to you the beautiful scenery unfolding before you. We'll end our journey in Satu Mare, dinner and accommodation in an exquisite environment. Module: Wine tasting in Tokaj, Hungary the same wine drunken by A. Dumas's musketeers.
Satu Mare - Certeze - Sapanta - Sighet - Baia Mare
We begin our day in the spectacular scenery of Maramures by visiting the Merry Cemetery in Sapinta, where we can also see the highest wood church in Romania. Our next stop is a communist prison. Accommodate in Baia Mare and enjoy a Maramuresean menu for dinner. Tip: if you wake up early in the morning you have the chance to visit the Flea Market in Satu Mare
Baia Mare - Calinesti - Barsana - Sacel - Bistrita
The road we'll follow today is sprinkled with wood churches and very similar with the Norwegian Church road. Drive to Sacel and be the guests of the famous craftsman Grigore Tulean. From here we travel to Borgo Pass and visit Count Dracula's Castle!
We will then visit the puppets exposition presented by Misiuga, Baron of Dracula in Dogarilor Tower in Bistrita. Accommodate in Bistrita. Special dinner in Jonathan Harker Saloon (the main character in Dracula novel) in Golden Crown, a folk band is performing live in the restaurant.
Tip: Night life opportunity in Bistrita: casino, clubs.
Bistrita - Bontida - Turda - Cluj Napoca
Today we drive to Transylvania's capital, Cluj-Napoca, on the way we stop at Banffy Castle in Bontida. Cluj-Napoca has many things to offer: the Botany Garden, shopping session and a walk through the historic centre. Next town on our list is Turda with its impressive Salt Mines. Turzii's Gorges Reservation will offer us a nice and challenging walk. Drive to Cluj Napoca for accommodation
Cluj Napoca - Medias - Biertan - Sighisoara - Brasov
First stop today is in Medias, with its beautiful medieval centre and its unique artist, a spider web painter. Our next stop is Biertan, with its fortified church. From Biertan we drive to Sighisoara, the only inhabited medieval citadel in Europe. Depart to Brasov, an important and impressive Saxon centre, where we have dinner with wine tasting and an excellent folk show in Carpathian Stag restaurant. Module: Attend a witch trial in Sighisoara set on the street like in the old days.
Tip: in Sighisoara you can enjoy a special lunch in Casa Vlad Dracul Restaurant, the place where Vlad Dracul, the father of the one who bares the stigma of the bloody count Dracula, was born. In Biertan you can shop in one of the finest selection of handicraft, belonging to Madam Monica Cosma
Brasov - Sibiu - Sibiel
Our day begins with a visit of Brasov's medieval centre. From Brasov we drive to Bran Castle, the residence of Count Dracula! Sibiu will be our next stop, where we'll visit the open air Village Museum, the Brukental Museum and cross over the Bridge of Liars if you wish (don't utter any lies - it might collapse). We'll drive to Sibiel to visit the Icons on the Glass Museum. Carriage ride to your accommodation in country - inns.
Sibiel - Alba Iulia - Abrud - Campeni - Oradea
Our first tourist attraction today is the Alba Iulia fortress. From here we go to Poarta lui Ionele Cave for a traditional picnic lunch served right at the entrance of the cave. Our next stop is the Bears Cave, which got its name from the skeletons of some very old species of bear that were found here. From here we go to visit the Open Air Museum in Chiscau with its old cars and domestic objects. Drive to Oradea for accommodation.
Tip: try a Hungarian menu in Gobe, a traditional Hungarian Country inn in Oradea! Relax in the outdoor swimming pool with thermal water of your accommodation in Oradea
DAY 8 Oradea - Budapest
Say good-by to Romania, depart for Budapest. Transfer to the airport.
- Inclusions -
- Entry fees to: Merry Cemetery in Sapinta, Sapinta Monastery, The Prison of Communist Victims in Sighet, Birsana Monastery, Craftsman Workshop, Dracula's Coffin, Dogarilor Tower in Bistrita, Banffy Castle in Bontida, Botany Garden, Salt Mines in Turda, Turzii's Gorges Reservation, Spider Web Painter in Medias, Fortified Church in Biertan, Clock Tower, Medieval Weapon Collection and Torture Room in Sighisoara, Bran Castle, Village Museum and Brukental Museum in Sibiu, Icon on Glass Museum in Sibiel, Bears Cave in Pietroasa
- Exclusions -
- Plane ticket and airport fees
- Extras -
- Best of Transylvania is guaranteed to depart on the dates given, as we do not insist on a minimum number of bookings before departure. However the tour can also be taken as a private journey, so you could experience our excellent itinerary with whom ever you want and at your preferred travel dates.
For 2008 Best of Transylvania and Hungary is guaranteed to depart on the following date:
Private tour prices:
GBP 1729* - USD 3369* (EURO 2579) per person, double occupancy,
based on 2 persons travelling together
GBP 1209* - USD 2359* (EURO 1799) per person, double occupancy,
based on 4 persons travelling together
Single Supplement: GBP 179* - USD 339* (EURO 259)
Solo Traveller: GBP 3259* - USD 6369* (EURO 4869)
The prices above are based on buying the itinerary as listed on tour page. We can customize the tour to meet your exact travel needs: change hotels, shorten or lengthen the tour. For any customization implying a new base itinerary, a tailor made fee of GBP 159 +VAT (EURO 240 + VAT) is required and will be added to the tour cost.
* price in GBP is for guidance only; balance will be paid in EURO.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Brasov
- Bran, Rasnov & Sinaia - from 50 EUR
- A Bird - from 159 EUR
- 3 Castle Tour - from 48 EUR
- Light Aircraft Scenic Flying Tours in Transylvania, Brasov... - from 125 EUR
- The Citadel of Sighisoara Tour from Brasov - from 75 EUR
- Tour of Saxon Fortified Churches from Brasov - from 65 EUR
- Tour of Sibiu from Brasov - from 75 EUR
- Historic Brasov Private Tour - from 40 EUR
- Bran Castle & Rasnov and Sinaia Tour from Brasov - from 75 EUR
- Rock Climbing School For Beginners In Transylvania - 7 days from 1634 EUR
- The medieval Saxon villages and towns of Transylvania - 8 days from 846 EUR
- Hiking Tour of the Southern Carpathian Mountains in Romania - 6 days from 565 EUR
- Transylvania - 5 days from 1299 EUR
- Transylvanian Landmarks Buget Tour - 8 days from 789 EUR
- Helicopter Skiing in Transylvania - 5 days from 8859 EUR
- Dracula Tour Vampire in Transylvania - 7 days from 1159 EUR
- Transylvanian Walking Tour Hiking tour for leisure walkers - 7 days from 1429 EUR
- Medieval Holiday and Festivals in Transylvania - 8 days from 1549 EUR
- Hora at Prislop - 8 days from 1499 EUR
- Romania CyclingTour - 7 days from 1499 EUR
- Medieval Towns & Castles and Fortresses of Transylvania Tour - 7 days from 825 EUR
- Cultural tour of Southern Transylvania - 8 days from 1439 EUR
- Return To The Middle Ages Short Break Tour of Sinaia and... - 2 days from 220 EUR
Email the tour operator - Best of Transylvania
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.