Travel Into Time
- Price from:
- 1890 EUR /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 6 days
- Location Start:
- Lisbon Airport
- Location Finish:
- Lisbon Airport
- We Speak:
- Spanish, French, English, Portuguese
Last updated: 07/17/2007
Moorish, Castellan and Portuguese habitated the Castles, the Fortress and the Convents where we'll sleep in. Gastronomy, landscape and white washed villages along this biking tour.
Meet&Greet at Lisbon or Faro International Airport and transfer to Palmela Pousada.
The great castle, rising at 238 metres (800 feet) on a spur of the wooded Serra da Arrábida and overlooking the Sado and Tagus estuaries and the surrounding plains, dominates the town of Palmela and is the county's most important monument.
It was conquered to the Moors by Afonso Henriques, the first king of Portugal, in the 12th century and altered over the ages until the 18th century: the fortified walls enclose a 14th-century monastery, the Church of Saint Mary, dating from the 12th century, the Church of Saint James (15th century) and a museum site installed at the former casemates and cistern to display archaeological finds.
At the charming town of Palmela, other monuments attract visitors, like the beautiful 18th-century monumental fountain displaying the town's coat of arms, the 17th-century Town Hall, the medieval church of Saint Peter, with fine 18th-century painted tiles, and the Misericórdia Church, founded in 1566, among other sites.
(D) [Palmela Castle Pousada-Palmela]
We'll cross the Arrábida Mountain by it valleys, passing by vineyards, and local farms, a stop at handicraft tiles production, nearby the famous Wine Cellars of José Maria da Fonseca, where we taste wines after the visit to the old cellars. After a short visit to the Azeitão village we'll proceed on the way to the Arrábida Mountain top road, for the amazing views from the Atlantic Ocean and Lisbon.
(BL) [São Filipe Fortress Pousada-Setúbal] +-50km
We'll depart for a short river cruise, looking for the wild dolphins that live at the river. We'll arrive in Tróia. Start our biking day on the way to Alcacer do Sal (A village with more than 5000 years of history the ancient village was an Episcopal Visigoth city in times gone by), rice paddies, the typical fishing villages by the river will be our guests.
The ancient town of Alcácer do Sal (al-kasr, from the Arab word for "castle", and do sal from its history of trade in salt), overlooking the river Sado, is dominated by the hilltop castle built on the site of a fortified construction dating from as early as the 6th century BC. It was used as a stronghold by the Romans and later rebuilt by the Moors who took the town in 715.
Alcácer has a peaceful atmosphere, with pleasant cafés along the riverside, houses with triangular frontons and volutes and several interesting churches. The small church of the Holy Spirit now lodges the local Archaeological Museum.
(BL) [Dom Afonso II Castle Pousada-Alcacer do Sal] +-60km
For a very beautiful biking day on the way to Alvito. A XV century fortress built in a variety of architectural styles, including Gothic, Manueline and Mudejar, will be our destiny. On an early arrival, free time to explore this particular southern village.
Being a typically Manueline town, Alvito also boasts of an ancient and historical religious tradition confirmed by the number of churches (such as the 15th-century Mother Church, the Miserichord Church and the Chapel of St. Sebastian) and by the richness of priestly vestments and ornaments.
But its most famous monument is undoubtedly the castle, dating from the end of the 15th century and which was once the residence of the Marquis of Alvito and frequently visited by kings. Although not a defensive construction, it is imponent and striking, with a vast courtyard, circular towers and a massive keep.
The town´s streets, lined with modest looking white-washed houses, are often embellished by beautiful and delicately carved stone portals from the 16th and 17th centuries.
(BL) [Alvito Castle Pousada-Alvito] +-65km
From Alvito village we depart, throughout the Moorish heritage in this region, megalithic stones, Moorish battles heritage, and the white washed southern villages will be part of the southern charm. Beja, the southern pearl, discover why. Dinner at the Pousada.
Dominating vast views of the golden plains, the capital of the Lower Alentejo is a major centre for the production of wheat, olives and cork, essential to the county.
Beja is a city of historic and social importance, but it preserves the pleasant and unassuming aspect of an inland town with it narrow and cobbled streets of the old town stretch from the beautiful castle keep (late 13th century) to the Convent of St. Francis. Beja's oldest church, Santo Amaro, has Visigoth origins and displays a collection of relics from this early period of Portugal's history (415-711).
(BLD) [São Francisco Convent Pousada-Beja] +-45km
Dedicated day to departures, tour connections or long stay. Contact your guide for more information.
- Inclusions -
- Accommodation at Pousadas, based on twin sharing room.
- Exclusions -
- Extras -
- Run year round with fixed departures every second sunday of each month.
Minimum 2 Pax, Maximum 12pax.
Details: Itinerary almost flat with one hilly day.
Total biking kilometers ±220
Depart/End: Lisbon Airport/Lisbon Airport.Prices based on twin shared room.Important Notice: routes and mileage may change, but main interests will be kept.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Lisbon
- Afternoon Walking Tour - from 12 EUR
- Morning Walking Tour - from 15 EUR
- Cool Party Tour - from 5 EUR
- Caldo Verde and Fado Tour - from 60 EUR
- Gastronomic Route - from 15 EUR
- Lisbon Belvederes and Kiosks Walking Tour - from 15 EUR
- Night Sightseeing Tour - from 25 EUR
- Fátima Tour - from 57 EUR
- Oceans Tour - from 40 EUR
- Arrábida Tour - from 40 EUR
- Saloio Tour - from 40 EUR
- Lisbon Discovery Bike Ride - from 20 EUR
- Jewish Tour Jewish Lisbon Half Day Tour - from 245 EUR
- Jewish Lisbon Sintra Full Day Private Tour 7 Hours - from 305 EUR
- Lisbon City Half Day Tour - from 25 EUR
- Lisbon Shore Excursions - from 35 EUR
- Sintra & Cabo da Roca & Cascais and Estoril - from 35 EUR
- Walking Tour - from 75 EUR
- Wine Tour Lisbon Sintra - from 60 EUR
- Jewish Tour - from 80 EUR
- Portugal Tour 150 Off - 10 days from 355 EUR
- Cycling Holiday in Portugal Lisbon and Evora Romantic Alentejo - 10 days from 1450 EUR
- The Romantic Tour of Greater Lisboa - 6 days from 1795 EUR
- Wine and Gastronomy in Portugal - 6 days from 250 EUR
- Parks and Gardens of Portugal - 8 days from 320 EUR
- Alentejo Flavours - 8 days from 2495 EUR
Email the tour operator - Travel Into Time
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.