Jewish Lisbon Sintra Full Day Private Tour 7 Hours
- Price from:
- 305 EUR /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
Last updated: 06/11/2009
We welcome you to join us for an introduction to the Jewish barrios and their history, background on the establishment of the Inquisition in Portugal; insights into Jewish and Crypto-Jew life here.
Visit Shaare Tiekva (closed on Friday-Sundays), built by the Lisbon Jewish community in 1904, by architect, Ventura Terra.
Next, head to Rossio to Marques de Pombal Square. SebastiÃ£o JosÃ© de Carvalho e Melo, the Marquis of Pombal was himself of Jewish origin.
Under his government as Prime Minister under King Joseph I (1750-1777) the distinction between New Christians and Old Christians was annulled.
Rossio, the Holy Office headquarters in Lisbon, was an infamous site during the Inquisition period. We finish our tour in Alfama, crossing Praca de Comercio (short stop to view the square, historic site of the Inquisition for public activities), one of Lisbon's oldest quarters in Rua da Judiaria in the Old Jewish Quarter, with its narrow cobbled streets.
Continue on to Sintra to visit the Palacio da Vila, the former Royal Palace, where Dom Joao I (reigned 1385-1433) decreed an expedition to Ceuta, thereby initiating the golden age of Portuguese Maritime Expansion. It was during this period that the Jewish quarter in this area grew around the Palace, greatly contributing to the flourishing of economic and literary activity. Later, Dom Manuel I introduced a number of details that were drawn from Moslem decoration, namely panels of Mudejar tiles in the interior rooms, as well as certain architectural details from the Manueline style. During the reign of Dom Joao 111 (1521-1557), the Palace was frequented by men knowledgeable in Latin, Hebrew and Greek.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Lisbon
- Afternoon Walking Tour - from 12 EUR
- Morning Walking Tour - from 15 EUR
- Cool Party Tour - from 5 EUR
- Caldo Verde and Fado Tour - from 60 EUR
- Gastronomic Route - from 15 EUR
- Lisbon Belvederes and Kiosks Walking Tour - from 15 EUR
- Night Sightseeing Tour - from 25 EUR
- Fátima Tour - from 57 EUR
- Oceans Tour - from 40 EUR
- Arrábida Tour - from 40 EUR
- Saloio Tour - from 40 EUR
- Lisbon Discovery Bike Ride - from 20 EUR
- Jewish Tour Jewish Lisbon Half Day Tour - from 245 EUR
- Lisbon City Half Day Tour - from 25 EUR
- Lisbon Shore Excursions - from 35 EUR
- Sintra & Cabo da Roca & Cascais and Estoril - from 35 EUR
- Walking Tour - from 75 EUR
- Wine Tour Lisbon Sintra - from 60 EUR
- Jewish Tour - from 80 EUR
- Portugal Tour 150 Off - 10 days from 355 EUR
- Cycling Holiday in Portugal Lisbon and Evora Romantic Alentejo - 10 days from 1450 EUR
- The Romantic Tour of Greater Lisboa - 6 days from 1795 EUR
- Wine and Gastronomy in Portugal - 6 days from 250 EUR
- Parks and Gardens of Portugal - 8 days from 320 EUR
- Alentejo Flavours - 8 days from 2495 EUR
- Travel Into Time - 6 days from 1890 EUR
Email the tour operator - Jewish Lisbon Sintra Full Day Private Tour 7 Hours
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.