South of Portugal
- Price from:
- 230 EUR /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 5 days
- Location Start:
- Site appointed in Lisbon area
- Location Finish:
- Site appointed in Lisbon area
- We Speak:
- German, Portuguese, Spanish, French, English
Last updated: 03/26/2008
Driving to the south of the country, the province Alentejo with peaceful landscapes and wheat fields, where the shade is provided by the olive trees and cork oak trees. Algarve with its history and..
Lisbon /Óbidos/Alcobaça/Nazaré/Batalha/Abrantes (+/-250Km/155,3 miles)
Driving through a landscape rich in windmills and fruit trees we arrive to Óbidos, a medieval walled town extremely well preserved, where you can find a diversity of handicrafts and taste the famous ginginha (bitter cherry liqueur).Visit Alcobaça with the first and largest gothic church in Portugal with the tombs of D.Pedro and Inês de Castro, known by it's love story. Stop in Nazaré, a typical fishing village and seaside resort, with its traditions and legends. We continue to Batalha - visit the Monastery of Santa Maria de Victoria, a masterpiece of the gothic in Portugal where we can find the tomb of Henry the Navigator, the promoter of the maritime discoveries. After we arrive to Fátima, the famous Marian Shrine. Today's journey ends in Abrantes - Dinner and overnight.
Abrantes /Castelo de Vide/Marvão/Estremoz/Évora(+/-230km/143 miles)
After breakfast in hotel we cross the River Tejo and drive to the beautiful Castelo De Vide, proud of its Jewish quarter. Then the medieval town of Marvão, one of the white villages of Portugal, dominated by its castle on the mountain watching over the plain and over Spain. Continue to Estremoz, a town well known for its remarkable marble quarries and bonecos (figurines) of ceramic. Continue to Évora, a living museum of tradition and history, handicrafts and gastronomy : on the walking tour we visit the Roman Temple, the Cathedral, the Giraldo square, St Francis Church with its unique Bones Chapel but also we can see handicraft streets with hand painted pottery, cork work, copper items and colourful furniture. In Évora we can also taste the rich gastronomies of Portugal with excellent wines. Dinner and Overnight.
Evora /Beja/Silves/Alvor (+/-250Km/155.3 miles)
Breakfast in hotel. Part of the morning at leisure in Evora, and then driving southward passing Beja were the highest tower of Portuguese Medieval castles dominates the town and the region. Crossing small mountains we enter in the Algarve. By fields of orange trees we arrive to Silves, the renowned town dominated by its red sandstone castle dating back mainly to Moorish times and by the memory of is former cork industry. Continue to the golden sands of the Algarve passing by Praia da Rocha to Alvor. Dinner and Overnight
Alvor/Ponta da Piedade/ Sagres/Cabo de S. Vicente/ Lagos/ Alvor (+/-140 km/87 miles)
Breakfast at the hotel. The Algarve has the call of the sea that led to the discovery of the New World. Stop in Ponta da Piedade to admire the magnificent view over the Atlantic Ocean, and cliffs whose shapes have been sculpted by the erosive action of both the sea and time. Continue to Sagres, a fishing port, for a visit to the fortress that tradition says to have been the mythical navigation school created by Prince Henry the Navigator during the first days of Atlantic navigation and the discovery of the African coast. We proceed along the cliffs to Cabo São Vincente, the south western most point in Europe. The city of Lagos, a cosmopolitan town with marina and fishing port where you can taste the delicious Algarve dishes, such as the fish and shellfish cooked in a copper pan (cataplana), - never forgetting the fine sweets such as the famous marzipans, almond and fig cakes. Return to the hotel, where, the afternoon at leisure invites you to take a dip in the warm sea Alvor . Dinner and overnight
Alvor/Setúbal/Serra da Arrábida/Lisbon (+/-330km/205 miles)
The return trip to Lisbon will take you by the city of Setubal, a major port and industrial centre on the north bank of the Sado estuary. Then the scenic route over the Arrábida Mountain Range, an area preserved as a NaturalPark, with an amazing scenery and unique vegetation very close to Lisbon, and enjoy the sweeping views over the Tróia Peninsula. Crossing the bridge over the Tejo River, arrival to Lisboa.
- Extras -
- Rates presented are for driver/guide fees with vehicle, which makes this offer very attractive for a group from 3 to 8 persons.
Tours are private and assisted by a professional who can be a certified tourism driver or tour guide. We will be glad to assist you regarding accommodation.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Algarve
- Guided Tour - from 35 EUR
- Quarteira Market - from 17 EUR
- Lagos & Sagres - from 19.5 EUR
- A Mini Taste of Portugal - from 68 EUR
- See the Real Algarve Central - from 50 EUR
- Chillout in the Sun - 7 days from 481 GBP
Email the tour operator - South of Portugal
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.