cycling the Tuscan hills
- Price from:
- 1050 EUR /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 8 days
- Location Start:
- Poggibonsi station
- Location Finish:
- Chiusi station
- We Speak:
- Italian, French, English
Last updated: 07/19/2006
This tour is a trip through time, from the Etruscans tombs to Romans remains, from Medieval hill towns to renaissance basilicas. It also offer a great diversity of landscapes, from the vineyards covered hills of Chianti and Brunello to the barren geometrical cypress-crested moulds of the "Crete"
Arrival in Poggibonsi, where you will be met by our representative who will drive you to your villa in Staggia near Castellina in chianti where you will enjoy an excellent supper.
Villa Lecchi/Colle Vald'Elsa/San Gimignano - Km 35 Departing from villa Lecchi, first you encounter the fortified town of Monteriggioni, its round distinctive shape dominating the surrounding plain; then Colle Val d' Elsa and its glass blowing artisans some of which you can visit. San Gimignano with its towers will request more time and a couple of hours of window shopping before starting back to Villa Lecchi.
Villa Lecchi/Castellina in Chianti/Siena - 52 Km. - A nice day through winding Chianti roads, in a landscape of luscious, vineyards and superb wineries to end in Siena to have an icecream on one of the most famous squares in Italy: Piazza del Campo. Free supper.
Siena /Buonconvento - Km 32 - A nice day through winding Chianti roads, while the landscape is changing from luscious, vineyards to the more linear cypress-crested hills of the "Crete" near Buonconvento. spend the night in a nice farm. In summer you will be glad to get a refreshing dip in the swimming pool or in autumn a relaxing massage and a sauna at their beauty farm.
- Buonconvento/Montalcino - Km 46 - Rather difficult day with moderaste slopes in the beginning and a rather steep one at the end. You head for The Monte Oliveto monastery. Spend the night in a nice hotel in Montalcino the Brunello home land.
Sant'Antimo abbey loop - Enjoy this fortified town from the bastions of which you will enjoy of a 360° view. The descending trail road lead you to the beautiful and peaceful church of Sant'Antimo where you may be able to listen to Gregorian chants.
Montalcino/Pienza/Montepulciano : Km 45A very full day as it includes Pienza, the renaissance jewel redesigned by the pope Pio the II. Visit the town which is also an agricultural centre well known for pecorino cheese, and truffle production. A dirt road will take you to Montichiello a nice little village immersed in the "Crete". you can stop there for a nice lunch or just for a cappuccino before continuing to Montepulciano known for its "Nobile" wine.
end of our services with transfer to Chiusi raiway station
- Inclusions -
- 5 suppers
- Extras -
- It is a self guided cycling tour. You can start any date and any day of the week
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in San Gimignano
- Landscape Painting Workshop with artist Tjasa Iris - 7 days from 1495 EUR
Email the tour operator - cycling the Tuscan hills
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.