- Price from:
- 225 EUR /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
Last updated: 06/21/2006
No visit to Rome is complete without a drive through the charming vine-trellised, palatial hill towns of the Castelli Romani..
Our series of countryside tours also include a trip south of Rome though the Castelli Romani, the hillside group of towns beginning along the Appian Way.
Castelgandolfo and Lake Albano: This area's most famous town is Castelgandolfo, home to the pope's plush summer residence 450 meters above Lake Albano :one of two, naturally formed volcanic lakes, dating back tens of millions of years!. At the foot of Lake Albano you can still see ruins of some ancient Roman resort homes built by wealthy patrician class families.From Castelgandolfo's town square you can view the gates to the papal palace and works by Bernini inside the church, San Tommaso di Villanova. Castelgandolfo is home to many wealthy Roman families, as seen in the many luxury estates that dot the rim of the volcanic crater lake. Castelgandolfo's restaurants boast the finest country cuisine of the Castelli Romani.
Other towns well worth visiting in the Castelli Romani: Nemi, Frascati, Grottaferrata, Ariccia. Your driver will make many inspiring suggestions for other hill towns to visit. We highly recommend Frascati and Grottaferratta with their many noble residences, excellent restaurants, wineries and festive spirit. Nemi and Ariccia boast the some of the area's best county cuisine with specialties in cured salame meats, wild vegetables, mushrooms and roast suckling pig. Ariccia s town square and ducal palace were designed by the great Bernini himself, while Nemi projects majestically above the area's second volcanic lake.
- Extras -
- We inform our clients that in order to ensure top quality service, our drivers are trained to give informative explanations of the local areas you visit .
Yet strict Italian tourist board regulations prohibit chauffeurs from commenting excessively at official tourist sites outside their vehicles. This is agreement with labour union agreements struck with licensed walking tour guides. They can, of course, speak to you from inside the vehicle anywhere organized tourism is in place.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Rome
- Jewish Tour Jewish Rome - from 200 EUR
- Rome Wine Tasting - from 35 EUR
- Rome City Center Wine Art Tour - from 80 EUR
- Wine & Dine in Rome - from 55 EUR
- Vatican VIP Entrance Tour - from 35 EUR
- 3 Hour Vatican Walking Tour Rome - from 170 EUR
- Rome Cruiser Bike Tour - from 49 EUR
- My Italians Wine Tasting - from 50 EUR
- Vatican & Sistine Chapel Tour - from 30 EUR
- Archaeological Rome - from 141 EUR
- Rome Segway Tours - from 75 EUR
- Vatican City Tour - from 0 EUR
- Medieval Rome - from 160 EUR
- Imperial Rome & Fountains - from 300 EUR
- Vatican Museums & Imperial Rome - from 480 EUR
- Renaissance and Baroque Rome - from 160 EUR
- Imperial Rome - from 160 EUR
- Rome Underground - from 160 EUR
- Vatican Museums Tour - from 260 EUR
- Rome Romantic Tour by Night - from 192 EUR
- Rome Package Special Deal - 4 days from 479 USD
- Historical and Cultural Tour to Rome & Florence - 7 days from 739 EUR
- Italy By Eurostar Train - 10 days from 1999 USD
- Travel Europe on Any Budget - 3 days from 410 USD
- Rome Shopping Guide - 2 days from 60 EUR
- Rome & Florence & Venice - 10 days from 2800 USD
Email the tour operator - Roman Castles
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.