Enjoy the Charm of a City of Culture & Art & Commerce
- Price from:
- 185 EUR /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
Last updated: 01/23/2008
A full day in the city to understand its history, culture and art visiting museums and enjoying the slow pace of an old city full of charm and ancient businesses and boutiques
The full day gives travellers a better and more in depth idea of the city. It is possible to reach the suburbs by bus: the sea promenade, with a photo stop at Boccadasse, once a fishermen village; then onwards to the panoramic spot of Castelletto through the residential quarter of Albaro, rich in ancient noble villas. On foot guests visit the gothic-romanesque cathedral of S. Lawrence, with its wondeful frescoes and the famous chapel of S. John the Baptist. Then on to piazza De Ferrari with the Opera House and the School of Arts. At a short distance is the Jesuit church, astonishing example of baroque, preserving works by Rubens and Guido Reni. Here rises the Ducal Palace too, ancient seat of the city government and now used for temporary art exhibitions. A gentle slope leads to the medieval Soprana Gate and Columbus House. A few steps away is the noble Piazza S. Matteo. Onwards to piazza Campetto and Via degli Orefici, an area rich in ancient charm and old old confectioners'.The tour takes to Banchi, once thriving marketplace and seat of the ancient moneychangers, today overlooked by the typical church of S. Peter, with painted facade, and livened up by the numerous stalls. S. George palace cannot be let out, where it is said the notable prisoner Marco Polo dictated his Milione. Right opposite is the Expo', the Old Port, restored by Renzo Piano in 1992, nowadays the most touristic area in the city, with the Aquarium, the Bigo and the Citta' dei Bambini (Children's town). The walk continues along Via S. Luca, another road of noble residence, to reach the richly frescoed S. Siro church, inside is a great Annunciazione by Gentileschi. Another brief slope and the most monumental street in the city is right in front: Via Garibaldi. Noble street par excellence, its palaces and gardens offer one of the best example of the 1500 and 1600 in Genoa. During the tour it is possible to visit to a museum (entrance not included - 6 euros) or an exhibition (entrance not included). A lunch break is forseen, guest can choose among the many trattorias of the old city or a short break for a panino or a stuffed vegetable cake (tariffs for lunch vary according to the kind of venue chosen).
- Extras -
- Prices for the tour are intended per group, not per person. Family tariffs for short tours are possible.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Genoa
- Genoa Historic City - from 120 EUR
- The Riviera An Unforgettable Experience To Enjoy Breathtaking... - from 120 EUR
- Riviera Portofino and the nighbourhood - from 185 EUR
Email the tour operator - Enjoy the Charm of a City of Culture & Art & Commerce
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.