Face to Face with Finland
- Price from:
- 3245 USD /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 10 days
- Location Start:
- Location Finish:
- Start time:
- 08.30 am
- End time:
- 12.00 pm
- We Speak:
Last updated: 01/29/2008
Journey from the Land of Lakes to the Artic Circle. Step into history and experience the diversity of rural culture (including Rovaniemi) and the charm of sophisticated Helsinki.
Overnight flight from U.S. gateway city.
Helsinki After a private transfer, refresh and get acquainted with this exciting capital. Take advantage of some of our optional activities and dinner suggestions.
Accommodations: Hotel Seurohoune, B
Helsinki : Imatra : Traces of the Past Meet your guide at 8:30 a.m. to begin sightseeing in Porvoo, the second oldest town in Finland. The old town is famous for its charming old warehouses, cobblestoned streets, handicraft shops and the medieval cathedral. Lunch will be enjoyed in the old Ruotsinpyhtää iron works village, dotted with red 18th-century workers' dwellings. Next stop will be at Langinkoski rapids, where you will see the imperial fishing lodge that Tzar Alexander III built on the shore of the roaring rapids. Dinner and overnight in Imatra.
Accommodations: Rantasipi Hotel Valtionhotelli, B, L, D
Imatra : Koli: Lieksa : Stunning Finnish Countryside After a lovely breakfast, you drive thorough the beautiful Punkaharju esker ridge, an isthmus between two large lakes, and continue to the Retretti Art Exhibition, featuring classical and contemporary collections partly housed in an underground cave. After lunch in Punkaharju, you head to Savonlinna and Olavinlinna Castle, the venue of the annual Savonlinna Opera Festival. In the afternoon, you will visit the Eastern Orthodox monastery of Valamo in Heinãvesi and enjoy a cup of tea brewed in traditional style- a silver samovar sweetened with raspberry jam and accompanied by old-Russian delicacies. Continue to Koli Hill and marvel at Finland's best-known spot of natural beauty before checking into the hotel in Lieksa.
Accommodations: Sokos Hotel Koli, B, L, D
Lieksa : Karelian Heritage The day's excursion acquaints you with Karelian culture and traditions. Tour a local farmhouse to experience fine examples of wooden architecture, savor a Karelian specialty lunch, an arts-and-crafts exhibit and folk music played on a Kantele, the Finnish folk-music instrument. Relax over a lovely dinner at your hotel in Lieksa.
Accommodations: Sokos Hotel Koli, B, L, D
Koli : Kuhmo : Art and Adventures Today on the way to Kuhmo, you stop in Vuonislahti to view the studio and log chapel of wood carver and sculptress Eva Ryynänen. In the Ruunaa wilderness close to the Finnish:Russian border, try your hand at riverboat rafting with local fishermen. After a fireside lunch, you proceed to Kalevala village for a cultural tour describing the old traditions of the 19th-centurey Karelian people. Enjoy a festive dinner at your hotel in Kuhmo.
Accommodations: Hotel Kalevala, B, L, D
Kuhmo : Kuusamo : Impresssive Landscapes Rise and travel through the North Karelian landscape of hills, lakes and lush green meadows and observe the change to steep cliffs, streams and wild forests of Kuusamo. Take time to have lunch in Ämmänsaari before heading to Julma Ölkky Canyon Lake, an area of astounding beauty. Relax and enjoy dinner and the amenities at your hotel in Kuusamo.
Accommodations: Spa Hotel Kuusamon Tropiikki, B, L, D
Kuusamo : Rovaniemi : Where Santa Claus Lives! After breakfast, set off for an excursion to Lake Kitka, where you can watch the local fishermen seine-fishing. If the catch is good, it will be prepared for lunch. On the way to Rovaniemi, tour the Coffee Cup Museum, see key sights and meet the jolly old man himself at Santa's Workshop in the Arctic Circle. A highlight to remember is taking part in a traditional Lapp ceremony. Dinner will be enjoyed in Rovaniemi.
Accommodations: Hotel Rantasipi Pohjanhovi, B, L, D
Rovaniemi-Helsinki After a buffet breakfast at the hotel, you transfer to Rovaniemi Airport for a morning flight back to Helsinki. The remainder of the day is your own to explore and enjoy!
Accommodations: Hotel Seurahoune, B
U.S. departure or continue your trip with one of The Nordic Company's many extension options.
- Inclusions -
- Domestic flight from Rovaniemi to Helsinki
- Exclusions -
- personal items and expenses
- Extras -
- Experience the numerous cultural events and festivities during the season of long summer days. Finland's proximity to the Artic Circle extends the summer days to 24 hours - extra time to enjoy the outdoors and culture! The primeval forests, Aapa bogs, ponds, and Ice-Age boulder fields make for a varied and fascinating habitat as well as an alluring landscape. Morever, Helsinki is a natural habitat for more than 427 bird species, with some of Europe's best bird watching sanctuaries. Call us and book today!
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Helsinki
- Jewish Tour Jewish Helsinki - from 250 EUR
- The Czar Route tour - 9 days from 995 EUR
Email the tour operator - Face to Face with Finland
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.