Museum of Mosaics in Devniya Marcianopolis
- Museums / Zoos
- Price from:
- 10 EUR /person
- under request
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- Location Start:
- "door to door" service
- Location Finish:
- "door to door" service
- Start time:
- any time
- End time:
- any time
- We Speak:
- Spanish, English
Last updated: 01/27/2010
The only museum of its kind in Bulgaria featuring some exquisite Roman mosaics!!!
The Museum of Mosaics in Devniya displays early-Byzantine mosaics from Marcianopolis.
The town of Marcianopolis was built near the springs of the Devniya river after the Second Dacian war, from the Roman Emperor Marcus Ulpius Trajanus(98-117).
According to an old legend, one of Marciana`s slaves dropped a golden vessel in one of the springs. After a while it emerged on the surface again. The emperor was told about the miracle and decided to build a town there in accordance with the customs of the time. It was named Marcianopolis after his sister.
The Museum is built partly on the ancient foundations of a building erected at the end of the 3 century the beginning of 4 century (the time of Constantine The Great) on the location of earlier buildings been destroyed during the Gotts invasions of 250 251.
The walls of the residential rooms were covered by coloured paint and murals of plaster. Five of the buildings rooms and porticoes are covered with multi-coloured
floor mosaics, one of the best examples of the Roman mosaic art of that period found in Bulgaria.
Three of these mosaics are displayed in the rooms where they have been found and the rest were transferred to a new carrying base following their conservation and partial restoration.
The mosaics were made in the classical techniques opus tesselatum and opus vermiculatum out of small cube-
shaped stones (tesseras) of marble, limestone, baked clay and coloured glass (smalta), in 16 colours. The mosaics
depict mainly personages and scenes of the Greek and Roman mythology, exotic animals and birds, floral and geometric shapes.
- Inclusions -
- tour guide service + petrol cost
- Exclusions -
- entrance fees, food and drinks
- Extras -
- The price of my private walking tours is 10 Euro per hour + fuel consumption for my driving tours (air-conditioned car).
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Varna
- Demir Baba Teke Holy Place For Muslims And Christians - from 10 EUR
- Paragliding Adventures - from 10 EUR
- The Lost Treasure of Captain Bellamy - from 10 EUR
- Walking On The Edge Russalka & Yailata & Tyulenovo - from 10 EUR
- Wine tour in Balchik - from 10 EUR
- Yailata tour - from 10 EUR
- Spearfishing - from 10 EUR
- Alaja Monastery Tour - from 10 EUR
- Varna City Walking Tour - from 10 EUR
- 1 Day visit of Chiflika Chukurovo - from 10 EUR
- The Stone Forest Tour - from 10 EUR
- Bulgaria Extreme Sports Week - 7 days from 10 EUR
- The Secrets of Strandja Mountain - 3 days from 10 EUR
- Fly fishing in Bulgaria - 2 days from 10 EUR
- Camping in Bulgaria - 2 days from 10 EUR
- Antique Bulgaria Tour - 10 days from 10 EUR
- Fishing in Bulgaria - 2 days from 10 EUR
- Thracian heritage tour - 3 days from 10 EUR
- Traditional Christmas Hog Roast - 2 days from 10 EUR
Email the tour operator - Museum of Mosaics in Devniya Marcianopolis
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.