3 day Urewera Discovery Tour
- Walking / Hiking
- Price from:
- 880 NZD /person
- +64 21 545 068
- +64 7 3125745
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 3 days
- Location Start:
- Pick-up from your Rotorua accommodation
- Location Finish:
- Drop-off at your Rotorua accommodation
- Start time:
- 08.30 am
- End time:
- 05.30 pm
- We Speak:
Last updated: 04/25/2009
New Zealand walking holiday exploring the remote Waikaremoana area. Discover fascinating Maori history and incredible geology cloaked in dense rainforest from comfortable lodgings.
2-4 hours walking (Lunch Dinner)
Pick-up Rotorua. En route to Waikaremoana we walk amidst New Zealand's best example of native podocarp forest. The towering trees at Whirinaki sparked a dramatic environmental protest against native logging, and you will understand why English Botanist David Bellamy sights this forest as one of the world's finest. Picnic beside an impressive waterfall, with the chance to sight the endangered native blue duck, before continuing on through dense rainforest to Waikaremoana.
The afternoon is spent either exploring the local museum or kayaking across the lake to Aniwaniwa Falls. In the evening we climb to the top of the landslide that created Lake Waikaremoana over 2000 years ago, to watch the sunset over the lake. Retire to the lodge for a tasty dinner, fine wine and good company.
3-5 hours walking (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
After a delicious cooked breakfast day two of our walking holiday takes us on a stroll through magnificent ancient beech forest to the tranquil Lake Waikareiti. Reached only by walking track, this lake is free of introduced aquatic plants, giving it outstanding water clarity. Take a rowboat to one of the Lake's islands for a picnic lunch amidst abundant birdlife and pristine forest that flourish in this pest-free environment.
In the afternoon we find the largest rata tree in the country, over 1000 years old! A stunning walk reveals the vibrant lime foliage of the tawa tree and brilliant crimson rata flowers. Then we visit a local marae (Maori meeting house) for an informal chat with a Tuhoe elder about the regionï¿½s fascinating history and culture. This is a great opportunity to ask questions and provides a real feel for the area and itï¿½s tangata whenua (people of the land).
3 hours walking (Breakfast, Lunch)
Taste one of New Zealand's famous "Great Walks" - the Lake Waikaremoana Track. Day three of our New Zealand walking holiday takes us on a steady climb through mixed broadleaf podocarp forest and rewards us with inspiring views over Lake Waikaremoana and the forest-clad mountains of Te Urewera National Park, New Zealand. Spectacular sandstone rock bluffs drop sheer to the lake 600 metres below. If weather permits a scenic boatride begins our journey back to Rotorua, followed by a lakeside picnic and the opportunity for a rejuvenating soak and celebratory champagne in an amazing natural hot spring!
- Inclusions -
- 2 nights lodge accommodation
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Waikaremoana
Email the tour operator - 3 day Urewera Discovery Tour
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.