Lake McIvor Guided Walk with Scenic Flight
- Walking / Hiking
- Price from:
- 750 NZD /person
- 0800 239 255
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
Last updated: 05/25/2009
After a stunning flight over Lake Te Anau we land on Lake McIvor itself. We are then left in this pristine environment to commence our walk along the Lake McIvor edge through native forest.
We walk through native forest containing clusters of 1000+ year old beech trees and moss gardens. The terrain is flat and easy walking until our picturesque lunch spot which is approx 1.5 hours from where we started.
After lunch we have a 1 - 2 hour gradual walk uphill through Alpine tussock mainly to our camping spot in a remote valley by an Alpine lake surrounded by the Barrier Peaks, where we go for a swim and have dinner.
After a scrumptious dinner we walk to an adjacent clearing approx 20 mins away in the hope spotting a few deer and other wildlife including numerous native birds and the possibility of seeing the camp's resident Kiwi.
After a sound night's sleep and a hearty breakfast, we commence our descent through green, luscious, native bush, down towards Lake Te Anau. There are no marked tracks, it's all deer trails following an underground river that has its source up at Lake McIvor. We stop for lunch at a scenic waterfall over looking the middle arm of Lake Te Anau and the Takahe reserve. After lunch we continue our descent and arrive at Lake Te Anau at approx 4pm where our boat transports us back to the Te Anau township.
- Inclusions -
- ALL FOOD and COOKING EQUIPMENT [catered to your dietary needs]
- Exclusions -
- transport to Te Anau
- Extras -
- Please make sure you check our 'what to bring' checklist under 'walks' on our website.
Some items are essential, if you don't have them we can source them for you at extra cost.
Season is October to April
Departs on demand
Max 7 people per guide
Trip can be customised to make longer or shorter, prices vary.
Trips can be arranged ex Queenstown, ask for details.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Te Anau
Email the tour operator - Lake McIvor Guided Walk with Scenic Flight
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.