Lake Waikaremoana Guided Walk
- Walking / Hiking
- Price from:
- 990 NZD /person
- +64 21 545 068
- +64 7 3125745
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 4 days
- Location Start:
- Pick-up from your Rotorua accommodation.
- Location Finish:
- Drop off at your Rotorua accommodation.
- Start time:
- 08.00 am
- End time:
- 06.00 pm
- We Speak:
Last updated: 04/26/2010
4 day hike on the Lake Waikaremoana Great Walk Track, through the North Island's largest untouched native forest. A true New Zealand wilderness hiking experience with small groups, spectacular scenery
Your New Zealand hiking adventure begins with a scenic drive from Rotorua to the start of the Lake Waikaremoana Great Walk Track, along one of New Zealand's oldest Maori trails. We journey through remote villages and dense New Zealand rainforest, into the heart of Te Urewera National Park and on to Lake Waikaremoana.
Beginning the hike, the track at first follows the edge of an estuary where we are likely to enjoy the company of a variety of water birds. Shortly we catch our first glimpse of the lake itself and the reason for its name (sea of rippling waters) becomes apparent. The hike follows the edge of Lake Waikaremoana for most of the afternoon, before crossing a small headland from which we see our lodgings for the night. The Waiharuru Hut welcomes you with a hot drink and a hearty cooked meal. The hut is near the Puketukutuku Peninsula, where a kiwi recovery programme is successfully increasing the numbers of our threatened national icon. Visitors may delight in hearing the night time calls of the New Zealand North Island brown kiwi and the morepork / ruru.
This is our longest day of hiking, but we still have plenty of time to enjoy the bush, birds and beaches of the western arm of the lake. We make the most of the many scenic lakeside and lookout spots for rests and refreshments, and some may indulge in a swim. After lunch an optional boat trip can reduce walking time, and make the side track to Korokoro Falls more achievable. These stunning falls are worth the detour!
The vast Urewera forest is home to many native birds. You are likely to witness the amazing flights of the fantail and kereru, and hear the melodious calls of the bellbird and tui. Waiopaoa Hut, nestled amongst the luxuriant rainforest that stretches to the lake edge, is our home for the night.
Today we tackle the Panekiri Bluffs, which have been rising ahead of us for the last two days. Plenty of rest stops and breathtaking views make today's climb an enjoyable challenge. We pass through different layers of vegetation: from mixed broadleaf podocarp forest featuring giant rata, rimu and miro trees; to enchanted goblin forest of silver beech trees cloaked in eerie mosses, which dominate the higher altitudes. At the close of the day relax with a glass of wine on the verandah of the beautifully situated hut, and soak up the panoramic vistas right out to the ocean. Watch the sun set over the lake and forest clad mountains, while a birds eye view bestows an appreciation of the remarkable terrain we have covered over the last few days.
Wake to be among the first in the world to welcome the day's sunrise over the Pacific Ocean! Continuing along the Panekiri Ridge, breaks in the forest offer more magnificent views and there are fantastic photo opportunities from the colossal rock ledges that form the range. Look across Onepoto Bay to see the evidence of the landslide that created Lake Waikaremoana over two thousand years ago. Enjoy a fresh picnic lunch from this dramatic lookout, and understand why this walk is one of NZ's "Greats".
On completing the track we take time to celebrate our walking achievements, new friends and enhanced knowledge and appreciation of the natural and cultural history of Waikaremoana.
- Inclusions -
- 3 nights Hut Accommodation
- Extras -
- All-inclusive. Just arrive in Rotorua with your hiking boots!
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Rotorua
- Discover Rotorua Afternoon Sights - from 109 NZD
- Discover Rotorua Morning Sights - from 119 NZD
- Paradise Valley Ventures Horse Trekking - from 20 NZD
- Waikite Valley Thermal Pools - from 10 NZD
Email the tour operator - Lake Waikaremoana Guided Walk
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.