Fox Trot Half Day Glacier Walk
- Walking / Hiking
- Price from:
- 85 NZD /person
- 03 751 0825
- 03 751 0857
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- Location Start:
- Fox Glacier Guiding Building, Mian Rd, Fox Glacier
- Location Finish:
- Fox Glacier Guiding Building. Main Rd, Fox Glacier
- Start time:
- 09.30 am
- End time:
- 01.30 pm
- We Speak:
Last updated: 12/22/2008
A popular guided walk featuring the transition from rainforest to the frozen world of Fox Glacier accessed by a ï¿½secretï¿½ track. Departs 9.15 a.m & 1.45 p.m daily. Extra trips in summer.
For those with a half-day available, this popular trip is a great eco-adventure full of variety and interest.
Walkers are kitted out with sturdy leather boots before boarding one of our historic buses for the short drive through the rainforest and into the glacial valley.
Your guide leads you on a walk beside the river bed to our secret track which zig zags slowly uphill for forty five minutes through ferns and regenerating temperate rainforest. From high on the track you enjoy fantastic views of the glacier and its upper and lower icefalls.
From its high point, the track winds down to the edge of the ice. The route takes you onto the ice amongst crevasses and ice ridges and leads you into the middle of the glacier for spectacular views of the icefall and lower glacier.
At least one hour is spent on the ice before returning to the bus using the same track through the rainforest. Your guide will be with you for the duration of the trip and will enjoy passing on fascinating details of the natural history of this landscape.
- Inclusions -
- Guide, ground transport, boots, socks, crampons, waterproof jackets and overtrousers, alpenstock
- Extras -
- Moderate fitness and agility is required. Involves steady, well-graded, uphill walking for 30 minutes.
Minimum age is 7 years.
Please bring 3-4 layers of warm upper body clothing, sunglasses and sun protection. A drink and snack are a good idea.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Fox Glacier
- Nimble Fox All Day Glacier Walk - from 125 NZD
- Fox It Up Ice Climbing Adventure - from 215 NZD
- Fox Trail Terminal Face Walk - from 45 NZD
- Flying Fox Helihike - from 330 NZD
Email the tour operator - Fox Trot Half Day Glacier Walk
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.