- Price from:
- 1820 NZD /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 9 days
- Location Start:
- Location Finish:
- Start time:
- 08.00 am
- End time:
- 05.30 pm
- We Speak:
Last updated: 06/26/2007
Take a very relaxing & comfortable 9 day tour amongst the scenic highlights of NZs South Island. Options to conclude in Wellington or return to Christchurch by the TranzCoastal train.
Christchurch / Mt Cook / Omarama
Your tour departs from the Pavilions Hotel, 42 Papanui Road at 8.00am. A city sights tour will highlight the main attractions of Christchurch before traveling across the Canterbury Plains into the MacKenzie Country. View the Church of the Good Shepherd and the Collie Dog statue at Lake Tekapo. Opportunity to fly over the Southern Alps with Air Safaris (optional), before continuing to Mt Cook National Park. Admire the majesty of Mt Cook before traveling on to Omarama.
Omarama / Dunedin
Pass large hydro lakes as you travel down the Waitaki Valley to Oamaru and Dunedin : the Scottish city. An early arrival allows the choice of excellent optional activities. Combine a Monarch harbour cruise or Newton's Citibus tour to see the albatross, penguins and seals. Enjoy the historic and scenic Taieri Gorge train excursion or explore the city only a few minutes walk away. This evening prior to Dinner you will be treated to a traditional Scottish Haggis Ceremony, complete with piper, address to the Haggis and gift.
Dunedin / Lake Manapouri / Te Anau
Visit historic Olveston House, then cross rich farmlands to the agricultural towns of Gore and Lumsden. Visit Lake Manapouri before arriving at Lake Te Anau.
Te Anau / Milford Sound / Queenstown
Follow the Eglinton and Hollyford Valleys, pass through the Homer Tunnel and descend into the Cleddau Canyon to reach majestic Milford Sound, dominated by Mitre Peak. A launch cruise takes you to the open sea and the Bowen and Stirling Falls. Return to Te Anau and on to Mossburn, then skirt the shores of Lake Wakatipu to reach Queenstown. Dinner tonight is at the Skyline Restaurant, where both the dining and the views are unsurpassed.
A day to explore the delights of this alpine resort at your leisure. Your Coach Captain will happily advise on the many sightseeing activities available. We recommend the world famous Shotover Jet Boat ride, take a Gondola to the Skyline high above, a tour to the gold mining area of Skippers Canyon or for the adventurous : white water rafting. Alternatively browse in the many shops and galleries.
Queenstown / Haast Pass/ Fox Glacier
Pass picturesque Lake Hayes on to an area steeped in fascinating history relating to early settlement and the goldmining era, to Lake Wanaka, a picture postcard resort on the lakes edge with a spectacular mountain backdrop. Pass Lake Hawea and the upper reaches of Lake Wanaka to Makarora into Mt Aspiring and Westland National Parks. Drive north along the coast to the glacier region. Explore the township or take the optional guided walk to the glacier's terminal face.
Fox Glacier / Greymouth
Time for an optional helicopter flight over the glacier then on to Franz Josef. Snowcapped Southern Alps dominate the skyline as you pass dense bush, tiny landlocked lakes and small pockets of farmland. Visit a Greenstone (Jade) factory where craftsmen cut and polish giant boulders to create fine jewellery. Next is Shantytown, a restored gold mining town of the 1860's where you pan for gold, ride on the steam train, stage coach or horse and buggy, all at no extra cost.
Greymouth / Blenheim
View the unusual rock formations and blowholes at Punakaiki and pass Charleston, a former goldmining township. Follow the Buller River through the Buller Gorge and on to Lake Rotoiti in the Nelson Lakes National Park. Follow the long Wairau Valley to Blenheim. A short tour of the area includes a visit to Montana Winery. Enjoy a hosted tour of the winery, learn about and taste a range of the famous local wines (purchase if you wish) followed by afternoon tea.
Blenheim / Picton / Christchurch or Wellington
Explore Picton, nestled on the shores of the Marlborough Sounds. You now have the option of continuing to Wellington via the Cook Strait ferry or returning to Christchurch by TranzCoastal train along the Kaikoura Coast. The Wellington option includes a city tour and will conclude at approximately 5.30pm. If returning to Christchurch your tour will conclude on arrival, scheduled for 7.00pm.
- Inclusions -
- Sightseeing tours of Christchurch, Dunedin and if selected, Wellington
- Exclusions -
- Breakfast Supplement $NZ 140
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Christchurch
- Discover Mount Cook From Christchurch - from 189 NZD
- Discover the Whales - from 255 NZD
- The Tranz Alpine - from 142 NZD
- Discover Christchurch Half Day Morning Tour - from 49 NZD
- Christchurch Wildlife Cruise - from 55 NZD
- Christchurch City Bike Tour - from 30 NZD
- The Inside Story - from 69 NZD
- Milford Wilderness Cycling Tour - 10 days from 4169 NZD
- Southern Alps Trek - 8 days from 2990 NZD
- Otago Central Rail Trail Cycle Tour - 5 days from 1087 NZD
- Picture Perfect New Zealand - 22 days from 4175 NZD
- Twin Island Tableau - 16 days from 3075 NZD
- Mountains & Glaciers & Rainforests - 10 days from 1800 NZD
- South Island Wildlife & Glaciers - 18 days from 3244 NZD
- Scenic Rail Pass Tour - 7 days from 289 NZD
- 14 Day Adventure Tour - 14 days from 3999 NZD
- 14 Day South Island Self Drive Tour - 14 days from 2613 NZD
- Reverse Traverse - 14 days from 380 GBP
- Life Yoga Tour - 15 days from 5350 USD
Email the tour operator - Southern Explorer
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.