Southern Alps Trek
- Walking / Hiking
- Price from:
- 2990 NZD /person
- +64 3 942 1222
- +64 3 942 4030
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 8 days
- Location Start:
- pre tour accommodation, Christchurch
- Location Finish:
- post tour accommodation, Queenstown
- Start time:
- 08.00 am
- End time:
- 07.00 pm
- We Speak:
Last updated: 12/09/2008
The world's finest alpine walking region with glaciers and snowfields beneath the picture perfect summits of Mt Cook, Mt Aspiring and other peaks that form the Southern Alps is the area of this trek.
We collect you from your accommodation site at 8.30am and drive south to Fairlie and inland to Lake Tekapo for lunch. We drive along Tekapo's lakeside to Mt Gerald station and then hike 3 hours into the Rex Simpson Hut, (a 10 bunk private hut on the station). To greet us are stunning vistas across the lake and into the rolling tussock landscape that surrounds the area. (Up to 3-4 hours walking).
From the hut we climb onto a broad easy spur which gradually gains height showcasing breathtaking views back down the lake and across to the Southern Alps with the prominent east faces of Mt Cook and Tasman. For the strong trekker, the summit of Mt Hope at 2070m is a just reward. Back at the hut we pack up and return to our vehicle for the short drive back to Lake Tekapo and our motel accommodation. (Up to 6-8 hours walking).
Mt Cook beckons as we drive 90 mins to the heart of the National Park. From here a number of hikes are available dependant upon fitness levels from the previous day. Mt Sebastopol and the mountain tarns are a favorite as is the Hooker Valley with its profuse vegetation. (Up to 4-5 hours walking).
After a later start we drive over the beautiful tussock covered Lindis Pass and drop down to Lake Wanaka and the Mt Aspiring catchment. Driving up into the headwaters, we finally reach our next starting point and our waiting helicopter. From here we take a short flight into a small remote and private mountain hut set amidst the sub alpine vegetation and numerous nearby trekking options. For the next night we camp in the area using the hut as our base. (Up to 2 hours walking).
Based from the hut we have several options dependant upon weather and fitness. Nearby tussock covered peaks provide opportunities to climb to awesome scenery with 'in your face' views of Mt Aspiring, Popes Nose and Rob Roy directly across the valley. The view is best enjoyed from the summit of Black Peak, a friendly accessible peak within easy reach of the hut.
By midday we are back at the hut and a picnic lunch, before we depart again down valley for an awesome ridge walk which gently takes us down to the col and the pick up point for the helicopter. Soon we are back with our coach rolling back into Wanaka and a hot shower before exploring the great restaurants nearby (Up to 4-5 hours walking with options).
After a lakeside breakfast we join a luxurious water taxi / catamaran for a cruise across the lake and a landing to join up with an old farm track. We follow this along the lake side with awesome views back to Wanaka and the tussock clad mountains surrounding it. By lunch time we are back to the coach and transfer around to nearby Diamond lake with its range of spectacular views giving us a a full day of hiking amidst the beautiful settings that is central Otago.
After an early morning start we drive over the Crown Range to the beginning of our final highlight of the trip. By vehicle we gain height on the ski-field road and at the road end climb beyond the ski area to Wye Saddle and the drop into the headwaters there. Beneath the summit peaks of the Remarkables we trek around to at last reach the skyline ridge with its awesome views of the Wakatipu Basin beneath us. At last our helicopter plucks us from the summit and drops us to the airfield below and a transfer to our accommodation. (Up to 5-6 hours walking).
For those with time and energy to spare Queenstown offers so much. Not without good reason is it called the Adventure Capital of New Zealand. For those seeking a return to Christchurch, our vehicle is available at no charge.
- Inclusions -
- Exclusions -
- 3 dinner
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Christchurch
- Discover Mount Cook From Christchurch - from 189 NZD
- Discover the Whales - from 255 NZD
- The Tranz Alpine - from 142 NZD
- Discover Christchurch Half Day Morning Tour - from 49 NZD
- Christchurch Wildlife Cruise - from 55 NZD
- Christchurch City Bike Tour - from 30 NZD
- The Inside Story - from 69 NZD
- Milford Wilderness Cycling Tour - 10 days from 4169 NZD
- Otago Central Rail Trail Cycle Tour - 5 days from 1087 NZD
- Picture Perfect New Zealand - 22 days from 4175 NZD
- Twin Island Tableau - 16 days from 3075 NZD
- Mountains & Glaciers & Rainforests - 10 days from 1800 NZD
- South Island Wildlife & Glaciers - 18 days from 3244 NZD
- Scenic Rail Pass Tour - 7 days from 289 NZD
- 14 Day Adventure Tour - 14 days from 3999 NZD
- 14 Day South Island Self Drive Tour - 14 days from 2613 NZD
- Reverse Traverse - 14 days from 380 GBP
- Life Yoga Tour - 15 days from 5350 USD
- Southern Explorer - 9 days from 1820 NZD
Email the tour operator - Southern Alps Trek
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.