Milford Wilderness Cycling Tour
- Price from:
- 4169 NZD /person
- 64 3 942 1222
- 64 3 942 4030
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 10 days
- Location Start:
- pre tour accommodation, Christchurch
- Location Finish:
- post tour accommodation, Christchurch
- Start time:
- 07.00 am
- End time:
- 06.00 pm
- We Speak:
Last updated: 12/09/2008
Explore the vast Mackenzie Basin by cycle and discover the grandeur of walking beneath Mt Cook. Stop at picturesque Arrowtown, and relax at beautiful Queenstown before heading to the Milford Sound.
The Port Hills overlooking Christchurch provide us with our first great ride with spectacular views over the city, the Pacific ocean and into Lyttleton Harbour. Our first cycle takes us along the summit ridge before dropping down to a small boutique winery for lunch. After this early familiarisation and exercise we drive onto the vast Canterbury plains and cycle on a very quiet road into the foothills before meeting with our farmstay hosts for the night.
Early morning you are shown around the farm and after a hearty breakfast we set up for a days cycling at your own pace. The turquoise blue of Lake Tekapo is approximately 45 kms via Burkes Pass. Those who wish to can cycle the entire way at their own speed, others can enjoy the full comfort of the occasional vehicle ride. The vast MacKenzie Basin with its views of Mt Cook and the Southern Alps provides an awesome backdrop to the beautiful wild flower fringed highway, before dropping into Tekapo and our lakeside accommodation. In the afternoon we go for an optional walk to the Mt. John lookout with its spectacular views of Lake Tekapo and the Southern Alps.
Huge glacial lakes and flat sealed hydro canal roads add interest to the day as we cycle to Mt Cook and the alpine village. We hike into the Hooker Valley, dominated by New Zealand's highest mountain with its steep glacier sides regularly providing a spectacular sideshow. At day's end we drive and cycle the final section into beautiful Lake Ohau and our lodge accommodation.
An early morning lakeside cycle takes us away from the mountains into tussock-covered hill country as we traverse Lindis Pass. As we cycle down the gentle descent we freewheel past high country sheep stations into the historic gold mining areas of New Zealand's past. By coach and cycle we approach Lake Wanaka and enjoy a superb final lakeside track which takes us into the bustling alpine village of Wanaka.
Our day starts with a 25km cycle on a smooth sealed road, towards the historic Cardrona Hotel for a relaxing coffee or tea. Strong riders can cycle to the summit of the Crown Range, at 1076 metres its is New Zealand's highest alpine highway, while those who want an easier option can drive to the top, before enjoying the magnificent downhill into the Queenstown basin. Via the scenic trails we cycle and explore Arrowtown, an old gold-mining centre before continuing on to Queenstown.
Today is a rest day from the bikes and a chance to explore Queenstown. Known as an adventure capital there are many options available for clients on this day, including bungy-jumping, jet-boating, rafting, flying and many more. There are also some nice hikes in the surrounding area, some great shopping or perhaps just a day to relax and enjoy the scenery?
From Queenstown we cycle to Kingston at the end of Lake Wakatipu, the road is surrounded by spectacular mountains as it hugs the shoreline. After lunch we drive to Lake Manapouri and our lakeside accommodation. For the rest of the day we walk through native beech forests alongside the Waiau River section of the Keppler Track.
A gentle morning warm-up ride takes us to Te Anau before we drive into the Fiordland National Park amid the beech forests and mountains, that the region is famous for. The beautiful sealed road tracks through the wilderness and we stop to enjoy some of the short walks on the way before a wonderful cycle down to the Humboldt Falls at the end of the very quiet & scenic Hollyford road. We coach through the Milford Tunnel and then enjoy the sheer delight of a 16km cycle descent down into Milford Sound and our accommodation for the night on the SS Milford Mariner. This boat takes us out of the Sound to the open seas beyond before returning to a sheltered spot for the night. By 9am the next morning we have enjoyed optional kayaking or swimming before returning to shore and the start of another day.
By bus we travel back to the Divide, stopping en route to explore the famous Chasm walkway. From the Divide we walk to Key Summit with its spectacular views of the Hollyford Valley and Humboldt & Earl mountain ranges. The afternoon sees us cycling down the majestic Eglington Valley as we slowly return to our overnight in Te Anau.
Out of Te Anau we journey into the hidden Mavora Lakes site of the closing scenes from Lord of the Rings. We cycle by the lakeside and through the beech forest before continuing on to the isolated Von Valley for lunch. We farewell our supporting coach as we cycle on to the shores of Lake Wakatipu and down to Walter Peak station. Here we enjoy the hospitality of a farm show and farm-style afternoon tea before boarding the steam ship TSS Earnslaw to cruise across the waters to Queenstown. Its time to say a sad goodbye as we pick you up from the wharf and deliver you to your Queenstown accommodation.
- Inclusions -
- Exclusions -
- 1 lunch, 4 dinner
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Christchurch
- Discover Mount Cook From Christchurch - from 189 NZD
- Discover the Whales - from 255 NZD
- The Tranz Alpine - from 142 NZD
- Discover Christchurch Half Day Morning Tour - from 49 NZD
- Christchurch Wildlife Cruise - from 55 NZD
- Christchurch City Bike Tour - from 30 NZD
- The Inside Story - from 69 NZD
- Southern Alps Trek - 8 days from 2990 NZD
- Otago Central Rail Trail Cycle Tour - 5 days from 1087 NZD
- Picture Perfect New Zealand - 22 days from 4175 NZD
- Twin Island Tableau - 16 days from 3075 NZD
- Mountains & Glaciers & Rainforests - 10 days from 1800 NZD
- South Island Wildlife & Glaciers - 18 days from 3244 NZD
- Scenic Rail Pass Tour - 7 days from 289 NZD
- 14 Day Adventure Tour - 14 days from 3999 NZD
- 14 Day South Island Self Drive Tour - 14 days from 2613 NZD
- Reverse Traverse - 14 days from 380 GBP
- Life Yoga Tour - 15 days from 5350 USD
- Southern Explorer - 9 days from 1820 NZD
Email the tour operator - Milford Wilderness Cycling Tour
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.