Cycling in the Spice Hills
- Price from:
- 518 GBP /person
- 01273 322044
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
Last updated: 02/19/2009
Discover intensely green tea hills, twisting mountain paths and aromatic spice gardens as you cycle through Munnar in Kerala, India's southernmost state. The great outdoors at its very best!
Munnar - SuryanelliThis module begins in Munnar. After breakfast, you'll pick up your trusty mountain bike and set off on a 35km ride to the mountain town of Suryanelli. As you cycle through the tea hills and over forest paths, the enthusiastic local people will give you a wave. You'll take a breather to meet tea pickers during the journey. There are several stiff climbs in your scenic route overlooking the Bison valley. Along the way, you'll stop for a picnic lunch to boost your energy for the last leg of the journey. At the end of the day, you'll reach Suryanelli, where you'll stay in comfortable chalet tents complete with en suite bathrooms and all the mod cons. A barbeque and campfire will be organized in the evening. After that, you'll drift happily off to sleep.
Suryanelli - Vandanmedu You'll have breakfast at first light this morning, and then leave Suryanelli for Vandanmedu. The route today is 55km long, but it is mainly downhill, making it enjoyable as well as challenging. You'll cycle through dense forests, past ginger plantations, and alongside spice gardens. These âspice hills' are world famous and you'll pick up some fantastic scents as you fly by. Along the way, you'll stop between the lush hills for lunch. At the end of the day, you'll arrive in Vandanmedu, a small town amidst spectacular scenery. You'll spend the night in a comfortable cottage, where you can take a much-needed warm shower after all your hard work.
Vandanmedu - Thekkady (Periyar National Park)Today's destination is the town of Thekkady, near the Periyar National Park. The distance on the agenda is shorter, only 25km, and after a morning on the bike you'll arrive at your hotel. The final stretch is mainly downhill, so you can glide into the town while you take in your surroundings. You'll stay in a wonderful eco-resort which looks out onto the mountains and Thekkady. After lunch, you'll be driven to the Periyar National Park to take a boat trip over the lake. Periyar is one of the best wildlife reserves in India and is home to deer, wild elephants, bison and tigers. It is also a birdwatching paradise, as some 330 different bird species inhabit the park. After the boat trip, you'll make a visit to a local tribe to get a glimpse of their way of life.
Thekkady Today, your trip through the tea hills comes to an end. If you like, you can make an early start (7am) and spend the day taking a wonderful hike in the area. You can choose between a gentle hike of 8km and a slightly longer trek that covers 12km. These are both entirely optional. If you would like to go for it, just let us know on your quote request form and we'll include it in your Travel Plan. If you've had enough of outdoor pursuits after your cycle trek, you can simply head back to Munnar. From Munnar, you can take a local bus to Cochin, which takes four or five hours. We can also arrange for a private transfer to take you to Cochin â just ask one of our specialists for details. Once in Cochin, you can head to the airport for flights to other parts of India or you could continue your trip with our Backwaters and Sandy Beaches module.
- Inclusions -
- 3 nights accommodation, all meals from lunch on Day 1 to breakfast on Day 4, bike, helmet, excursions, bottled water.
- Exclusions -
- Entry fees and other expenses, cycling clothes.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Munnar
- Kerala Honeymoon Packages - 5 days from 10500 INR
- Munnar Heaven Of South India - 6 days from 17199 INR
- Munnar Dreams - 3 days from 4500 INR
- Romantic Kerala Hills Munnar - 2 days from 2500 INR
- Tree House Stay Munnar - 3 days from 6000 INR
- Cottage stay in Munnar - 3 days from 0 INR
- Honeymoon in Munnar - 5 days from 9999 INR
Email the tour operator - Cycling in the Spice Hills
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.