- Walking / Hiking
- Price from:
- 508 GBP /person
- 01273 322045
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
Last updated: 02/19/2009
For the ultimate Himalayan trek experience, youâll stay with local Indian people as guests in their homes, and witness their hospitable mountain way of life in the remote region of Ladakh.
Leh - Hemis Shukpachen (4 hours of hiking)Today, you'll make an early start for your 4-day trek. From Leh you'll travel by car to the village of Yangtang, and from here you'll continue on foot. You don't need to bring much along â just enough to keep you comfortable and warm. We can advise layering your clothes, as the day you'll be walking in the crisp mountain sun. However, when the sun disappears behind the mountains it really gets very chilly, very quickly, so keep something warm handy at all times.You'll hike for around four hours, passing through little villages where time seems to have stood still. Donkeys wander through the streets laden with goods and children will stop their games to come and take an inquisitive look at you as you hike past. Quite often, the friendly people will invite you in for a cup of tea. Over the course of the day, you'll see the landscape change from murmuring streams and fields of barley into barren, rugged mountains, where the narrow path at the end rises steeply. When you arrive in Yangtang, a car will be waiting for you. It will take you on a short journey to your host family in Hemis Shukpachen.
Hemis Shukpachen - Tingmosgang (4 hours of hiking)Don't be surprised if your muscles are protesting a little this morning - they'll soon loosen up during your 4-hour hike today. As these hikes are not so long, you'll have time to take some photos along the way. After all you don't come here every day â so enjoy it while you can. Look for a spot in the sun, stick your sweater under your head and bask in the scenery around you. The lush green area you are hiking through today is full of apricot and apple trees, and you can freshen up in the fast-flowing streams and waterfalls. Today, the hiking is really relaxed hike as the route follows level ground with very few differences in height. You'll soon arrive in Tingmosgang, with a stunning genuine monastery perched on the mountainside above the village. In the afternoon, you are free to do your own exploring or snooze in the sun. Tonight you'll stay in a simple but authentic homestay. In addition, to your hearty evening meal, lunch en route is also provided.
Tingmosgang â Khalse â Lamayuru - Alchi (4 hours of hikingToday you'll cover substantial ground, and you'll cross the longer distances by car. After breakfast, you'll wave goodbye to your host family and begin your last hike. Your path passes by the remote village of Tian and continues through barley fields. Gradually, you'll start climbing up to higher regions and traverse a mountain pass at 3630 metres (11900 feet). From this vast plateau, you'll have a magnificently sweeping view of the surrounding mountains. Finally, you'll descend to meet the main road and a car will be waiting to take you to Lamayuru, where erosion has created some spectacular rock formations in the white mountains. Right in the centre, of this area on some rather wobbly, steep rocks stands one of the most famous and most spectacular monasteries in Ladakh. With the mountain peaks in the background, this monastery looks like something from an adventure film, and you'll find it hard to believe that you're really here. You'll visit the monastery with your guide and then drive on to your accommodation in Alchi, where your host family go out of their way to make you feel at home. They are very warm, hospitable people. If you would like to return the hospitality, you could bring along some coloured pencils and colouring books for the children. They are not used to being given such gifts and they would beam with happiness at your offering.
Alchi - Monastery visit (Rest break and monastery visit)Today is a quiet day of rest and relaxation. There are no long hikes or car journeys. In the morning, you'll visit the Alchi Monastery. Unlike many other monasteries in the region, it is not built on a mountainside and is much easier to reach. UNESCO has designated the monastery as a World Heritage Site, due to its exquisitely carved wood decorations, gigantic statues and imaginative murals in traditional Kashmiri style.In the afternoon, you'll drive back to Leh and the rest of the day is free for you to do as you wish. You'll spend your last night in the cosy guesthouse in this town.
Leh - End of the moduleThe module ends today, and you'll continue with your trip. We can arrange an extra night in Leh, or, if you would prefer, you can fly back to Delhi and move on from there.If you are heading towards the end of your trip, you could finish off your journey with the Wonders of the world, featuring a visit to the Taj Mahal. Equally, if you fancy some hammock time after your hike, you could now head south to Goa, Kerala or the Maldives.
- Inclusions -
- Accommodation, all meals at homestays, breakfast only in Leh, guide, transport by private car/jeep.
- Exclusions -
- International flights,meals in Leh other than breakfast.
- Extras -
- This is a private tour based on 2 people sharing (no groups). It departs daily from Leh in season which is mid June to mid September.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Leh
- High Road From Little Tibet - 11 days from 495 USD
- Discover Ladakh Adventure - 7 days from 500 EUR
- The Leh Moonscape - 5 days from 8199 INR
- Leh Sightseeing Tour - 3 days from 8555 INR
- Leh Tso Kar Lake Tour - 8 days from 15555 INR
- Leh Khardung La Tour - 5 days from 9999 INR
- Leh Sightseeing Tour - 4 days from 9999 INR
- Leh Pangong Tso Lake Tour - 5 days from 13333 INR
- Nubra Valley Tour - 4 days from 14444 INR
- Leh Ladakh Tour - 6 days from 14444 INR
- Markha Valley via Ganda - 14 days from 700 USD
- Rumtse Tsomoriri - 14 days from 700 USD
- Great Himalayan Traverse Motorbike Tour Manali To Leh - 17 days from 55500 INR
Email the tour operator - Himalayan Homestay
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.