Lahaul Hidden Himachal Pradesh
- Price from:
- 13000 INR /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
Last updated: 11/23/2007
Lahaul-A hidden valley in the hills of Himachal Pradesh makes for an offbeat holiday in the upper regions of Himalayas with access from Manali through towering mountainscapes,valleys,rivers,glaciers..
Arrival Keylong:Arrive from Manali to Keylong & check in at your hotel /camp.
At an altitude of 3340 m, Keylong enjoys the status of a district headquarters of Lahaul Spiti. Verdant fields, flowing streams and snow covered peaks welcome you every where you go here.
Around 18 km from Keylong, this village of the Lahaul valley has some royal heritage as its prime attraction. The eight storeyed residence of the thakur of Gondla called the Gondla Castle or fort was constructed in the 17th century.
Believed to be the oldest monastery in the Lahaul valley, Guru Ghantal is a wooden structure with pyramidal roof. Housed inside are the idols of the Brajeshwari Devi and Padmasambhava.
Dinner & Overnight Keylong.
Keylong:Post breakfast vsit Kardang monastery.This monastery is located in the erstwhile capital of Lahaul, the village of Kardang. At an altitude of 3500 m, this monastery is around 5 km away from Keylong across the Bhaga river. The architecture of the monastery, believed to be built in the 12th century, is typically Lahaul and Spiti style. There is a big library consisting Kangyur and Tangyur volumes of Buddhist scriptures in Bhoti. Also to be seen are beautiful thangkas paintings and musical instruments such as lutes, drums, horns and old weapons. Colourful frescoes and murals are yet another attractions of the monastery.
Located at a distance of 1.5 km from Keylong, the Shashur monastery was founded by Lama Deva Tyatsho of Zanaskar, Ladakh. In the 17 AD, he was a missionary of the king of Bhutan, Nawang Namgyal. The term Shashur means 'in the blue pines'. The monastery houses a statue of Namgyal, a 15-feet 'Thankha' and invaluable wall paintings depicting all the siddhas of Buddhism. The building of the monastery is a three-storey tall structure which, despite certain deviations, conforms to the ancient mandala concept.
Post lunch visit Tayul Gompa.The monastery is located around 6 km from Keylong and is counted amongst the oldest monasteries in the Lahaul valley. The highlight of the monastery is a 5 feet tall statue of Guru Padmasmbhava and a library of Kangyur (101 volumes). Ta- Yul, in the Tibetan language means the chosen place.
Later visit the famed waterfall at Sissu.
Dinner & overnight at Keylong.
Keylong:Visit to Jispa to enjoy trout fishing.later visit the Triloknath Temple.The temple holds a significant place in the hearts of both Hindus and Buddhists who together celebrate the festival of Pauri with much enthusiasm.
Dinner & Overnight at Keylong.
- Inclusions -
- Accommodation with all meals & refreshments in camping tents/ rest houses with 4x4 vehicle at disposal for all sightseeings & pick & drop from/to Manali
- Exclusions -
- Any other expenses of personal nature
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Keylong
Email the tour operator - Lahaul Hidden Himachal Pradesh
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.