Teatime in Darjeeling
- Price from:
- 128 GBP /person
- 01273 322044
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
Last updated: 02/19/2009
Drink tea and hike through plantations with the Himalayas as a mighty backdrop. Visit a Buddhist monastery and explore Nepalese and Tibetan communities. Wonder at the view from Tiger Hill at sunrise!
Darjeeling You'll arrive into Darjeeling by train (New Jalpaiguri) or by plane in (Bagdogra), and your transfer to the hotel will be organised in advance. During the 3-hour drive you'll travel across Indian plains with mountain slopes in the background. Darjeeling radiates serenity and calm - it is an island city surrounded by fresh green tea fields. Lying at the foot of the Kanchenjunga range, the temperature in Darjeeling is very pleasant and Indians have been escaping the suffocating heat of Kolkata summers here for years. The town straddles a slope with a height difference of up to 600 metres. From almost every hotel you have sweeping views of the surrounding countryside. The streets are narrow, steep and typically busy as usual in India, with dozens of ramshackle stalls selling anything and everything. In the market square, at the very top of the hill, you'll find yourself encircled by snow-capped mountains, some reaching heights exceeding 8000metres (over 26,000 feet).
You're free to explore on your own for the rest of the day, ambling through the tea plantations where you'll see the Indian pickers carrying large baskets on their backs. Darjeeling is renowned for its tea, which is still produced by hand here in small factories. You'll stay in a peaceful, comfortable hotel with spacious rooms.
Darjeeling and surrounds You'll have an early start this morning to make it to the top of Tiger Hill before sunrise. From here, you'll have a fantastic view of the first beams of sunshine appearing between the snow-capped Himalayas. As the morning mist disappears from the valley, the view will become even more amazing. It can be pretty cold and windy up here, so make sure you are warmly dressed with camera firmly in hand. As soon as the sun rises higher and the valley begins to warm up, you'll drive to the oldest Buddhist monastery in Darjeeling. This monastery dates from 1875 and is home to many well-preserved books. An english-speaking guide will accompany you through the grounds and explain the history of the building.
In the afternoon, you can enjoy a typical Nepalese or Tibetan lunch in the centre of Darjeeling. Have something hearty because you have a busy afternoon ahead. You'll visit a museum about the history of climbing in the Himalayas, accompanied again by a guide. Then, you'll take a trip to the famous zoo with its rare red panda and snow leopard. You'll finish off the day in the Tibetan refugee centre, where exiled Tibetans make clothes and carpets from local wool.
You'll spend another evening in the cosy hotel, drifting happily off to sleep after an action-packed day.
Darjeeling - end of the module After breakfast this morning, the module comes to an end. Would you like to head deeper into Sikkim? If so, you could consider the Treasures of Sikkim module, which visits the towns of Gangtok and Kalimpong in the green foothills and the monasteries in the local area.
We can also offer you a 5-day trek through the lower slopes of the pristine Himalayas in our module Tibetan Temple Trek.
Alternatively, you can travel back to Kolkota (Calcutta) by train or plane. From Kolkata, you can take flights to other parts of Northern India or the South, and we are happy to arrange these on your behalf. Just let us know your requirements via our quote request form, and we'll make you a personal Travel Plan.
- Inclusions -
- Accommodation with breakfast, excursions with guide, transport by private car
- Exclusions -
- International flights
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Darjeeling
- Exotic Steam Charter - from 30 USD
- Darjeeling Sikkim Cultural Tour - 10 days from 500 USD
- Treasures of Sikkim - 4 days from 368 GBP
- Tibetan Temple Trek - 5 days from 419 GBP
- Package Tour to Darjeeling - 5 days from 9000 INR
- Package Tours to Darjeeling & Sikkim - 7 days from 13000 INR
- 10 Days Sandakphu Phalut Singelilah Ridge Trek - 10 days from 550 USD
- The Capital Town & The Last Shangrila - 8 days from 23950 INR
- Darjeeling & Gengtok & Kalimpong - 7 days from 25999 INR
- Sikkim Tour - 8 days from 15555 INR
- Incredible Eastern India Tour - 8 days from 599 USD
- Best Of North East - 10 days from 22750 INR
- Himalayan Package Tour - 8 days from 399 USD
- Sandakphu Romantic Trek Darjeeling - 10 days from 499 USD
- Sikkim & Darjeeling Adventure - 8 days from 399 USD
- Grand Himalayan Adventure Tour - 12 days from 599 USD
- Eastern Himalaya - 11 days from 440 USD
Email the tour operator - Teatime in Darjeeling
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.