Varanasi By Train
- Price from:
- 123 GBP /person
- 01273 322044
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
Last updated: 02/19/2009
Immerse yourself in the real India by travelling an unforgettable journey to Varanasi by train. Experience the vivid trackside activity and the magical atmousphere of sacred Varanasi and the Ganges!
Agra - VaranasiThis evening, you'll be transferred from your hotel in Agra to the railway station, for the overnight train to Varanasi. After about 8 hours (give or take â you're on India time now) you'll arrive in the holy city of Varanasi. You'll be collected by your driver at the station and taken to your hotel, a smart little establishment in the leafy Cantonment area, just north of Varanasi's railway station. This 3 star hotel has well furnished rooms with Indian art on the walls and a green themed restaurant which serves good Indian, Chinese and Western food. There is also a subterranean bar which can be enjoyed here.
Varanasi The next three days are completely free for you to explore at your own pace. The Ganges is flanked by a series of ghats â broad stone staircases leading down to the water â that stretch into the horizon. You can stroll along the traffic-free ghats, and attend the evening prayer ceremony on the main ghat where flower candles are set afloat on the river.
VaranasiAnother day to explore amazing Varanasi... Life and death rubs shoulders here like nowhere else on earth, and the experience is very inspiring. Watching a cremation take place on the âburning ghats' is something that you will remember forever. Next to the cremation ghat, you'll find kids playing cricket, cows nosing through rubbish, and women beating laundry on rocks.
VaranasiYou could take a city tour through the twisting alleyways of Varanasi, sneaking past the dozing cows, or take an excursion to Sarnath â a holy place for Buddhists - 10 km from Varanasi. It was here that Buddha gave his first lecture. After his enlightenment in Bodhgaya, Buddha came to Sarnath to preach about the Middle Way of reaching Nirvana. After this, the religious ruler Ashoka built an enormous stupa (temple) and several Buddhist monasteries to commemorate the teaching. Each Buddhist country in the world now has its own temple, which often makes the place feel like a World Expo is being held there. You can get to Sarnath by auto rickshaw in about 20 minutes or, if you would prefer, we can arrange a private car to take you there.
Varanasi - Overnight train to Delhi Today, we can highly recommend a boat trip on the Ganges at dawn. This is an extremely special experience and you cannot help but soak up the intensely spiritual atmosphere. You'll float past pilgrims from all walks of life as they perform their ritual bathing before sunrise, and religious chanting will drift to your ears over the water. In the afternoon, you can perhaps consider visiting the Bharat Mata Temple and Varanasi University. At the end of the day, we'll arrange the easy transfer to the railway station for the overnight train back to Delhi (departs at 6.45pm).
Delhi - End of module You'll arrive early in New Delhi in the morning (about 7.45am). From the train, you're likely to see the morning rituals of the Indians. It is pretty normal to see people using the edge of the track as a toilet, so don't be too surprised.
The afternoon is free for you to explore frenetic Delhi, at your own pace. Try some local treats from the stalls around the India Gate, savour the stillness of Humayun's Tomb, and discover Qutab Minar, the Red Fort and Raj Ghat. Or head to Connaught Place, the Tibetan Colony or Khan Market for some last-minute purchases before your trip home.
- Inclusions -
- 2 sleeper trains, 3 nights accommodation with breakfast, transfers from and to Varanasi station
- Exclusions -
- International flights, entrance fees
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Agra
- Taj Mahal The symbol of Love - from 85 USD
- Taj Mahal Historical Tour - from 85 USD
- Agra Half Day Tour Package - from 2200 INR
- Agra Full Day Tour Package - from 3000 INR
- TajMahal - from 250 USD
- Wonders of the World - 3 days from 152 GBP
- Overland to Varanasi - 6 days from 472 GBP
- Cultural Golden Triangle India - 6 days from 10100 INR
- Visit Taj with Delhi Jaipur - 7 days from 600 USD
- Golden Triangle Covering Tajmahal the Evidence Of True Love - 7 days from 14199 INR
- Agra Jaipur Tour - 5 days from 11111 INR
- Agra Tour - 3 days from 2222 INR
- Agra Bharatpur Tour - 4 days from 3333 INR
- Taj Mahal With Rajasthan Tour - 19 days from 1425 USD
- Taj Mahal Tour - 2 days from 3200 INR
- Taj Mahal Tour Special Agra - 3 days from 5000 INR
- Magical Golden Triangle Tour Agra - 6 days from 13000 INR
- Rajasthan Treasure Tour Agra - 7 days from 16000 INR
- Rajasthan Kings Tour - 9 days from 19000 INR
- Rajasthan Package Tour - 12 days from 28000 INR
- Rajasthan Travel Tour - 14 days from 31000 INR
- Luxury Palace on Wheel Tour - 10 days from 2525 USD
- North India with Taj Mahal - 10 days from 350 USD
Email the tour operator - Varanasi By Train
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.