Overland to Varanasi
- Price from:
- 472 GBP /person
- 01273 322044
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
Last updated: 02/19/2009
Travel by car & train to amazing Orchha set in an exotic riverside location and on to Khajuraho to see ancient temples covered in erotic carvings & in Varanasi stay on the banks of the river Ganges.
Agra - OrchhaThis morning, we'll arrange for your transfer to Agra Central Station, and your train leaves at about 8am on its way to Jhansi. After about 2Â½ hours (give or take a little in India), you'll arrive in Jhansi. You'll be collected at the station by a your driver, who will take you to Orchha (about 16 km away).Orchha is a charming small town of only 9000 residents and it is one of the few places in India that you can easily wander about without being approached by beggars or touts. The town is renowned for its breathtaking Ram Raja Temple, Chaturbhuj Temple and Lakshmi Narayan Temple. In the afternoon, you'll have free time to explore the town at your own pace. At the end of the day, you'll tumble into bed in your hotel and drift off to sleep, tired but contented
Orchha - KhajurahoThis morning, you'll drive on to the tranquil town of Khajuraho. In the afternoon, you'll visit the western temples of Khajuraho, principally known for their erotic images from the Kama Sutra. The temples are about 1000 years old and they are still in incredibly good condition, even though there are only 22 of the original 85 temples still left. You'll stay in a very comfortable hotel, set in four acres of quiet grounds.
Khajuraho - VaranasiToday you'll be taken to the little town of Satna to catch the train to the city of Varanasi on the River Ganges. The train leaves about 8.15am, so it's a pretty early start, but you'll arrive in Varanasi a little after 4pm. The journey takes about 8 hours.When you arrive in Varanasi, you'll be greeted and transferred to a charming hotel that lies right on the banks of the river. The Ganges is flanked by a series of âghats' â broad stone staircases leading down to the water â that stretch into the horizon. Each ghat has its own significance. The hotel stands close to the Assi Ghat, towards the south of the town, which is used by pilgrims during a special pilgrimage route called 'Panchatirthi Yatra'.
Ganges Boat Trip - City Tour - SarnathThis morning, you'll make a very early start to take a boat trip on the Ganges at dawn. This is an extremely special experience and you cannot help but soak up the intensely spiritual atmosphere. You'll drift past pilgrims of all ages and classes as they perform their ritual bathing just before sunrise.After the boat trip, there's a guided walk through the old centre of Varanasi. Watch out for the holy cows in the narrow alleyways.In the afternoon you'll head for the small town of Sarnath, which is not far from Varanasi. Sarnath is another place of pilgrimage, this time for the Buddhists. It was here that Buddha gave his first lecture. After his enlightenment in Bodhgaya, Buddha came to Sarnath to preach about the Middle Way of reaching Nirvana. After this, the religious ruler Ashoka built an enormous stupa (temple) and several Buddhist monasteries to commemorate the teaching. Each Buddhist country in the world now has its own temple, which often makes the place seems like a World Expo is being held. In contrast, the village itself is small, with a feeling of tranquillity.After you've spent a while exploring Sarnath, you'll be taken back to Varanasi, where you'll have the rest of the evening to wander through the city.
You'll spend another night in the hotel overlooking the Ganges.
Varanasi - Sleeper train to DelhiThe day is free for you to explore. Life and death rubs shoulders here like nowhere else on earth, and the experience is very inspiring. Seeing a cremation take place on the âburning ghats' is something that you will remember forever. Next to the cremation ghat, you'll find kids playing cricket, cows nosing through rubbish, and women beating laundry on rocks. Then, in the evening, you'll head for the train station for your overnight journey to Delhi.
DelhiAfter a unique, if bumpy, night on the train, you'll arrive in Delhi early in the morning. You can use today to see the many sights of Delhi- the crowded, narrow alleyways of Old Delhi spice market, the stately Humayan's Tomb, the greenery of Lodi Gardens, the informative Gandhi Museum and the modern bars of Connaught Place.
- Inclusions -
- 5 nights accommodation, breakfast, Ganges boat trip, city tours
- Exclusions -
- Flights, all other meals, tips, entrance fees.
- Extras -
- Private tour based on 2 sharing (no groups)authentic and heritage style accommodation.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Agra
- Taj Mahal The symbol of Love - from 85 USD
- Taj Mahal Historical Tour - from 85 USD
- Agra Half Day Tour Package - from 2200 INR
- Agra Full Day Tour Package - from 3000 INR
- TajMahal - from 250 USD
- Wonders of the World - 3 days from 152 GBP
- Varanasi By Train - 6 days from 123 GBP
- Cultural Golden Triangle India - 6 days from 10100 INR
- Visit Taj with Delhi Jaipur - 7 days from 600 USD
- Golden Triangle Covering Tajmahal the Evidence Of True Love - 7 days from 14199 INR
- Agra Jaipur Tour - 5 days from 11111 INR
- Agra Tour - 3 days from 2222 INR
- Agra Bharatpur Tour - 4 days from 3333 INR
- Taj Mahal With Rajasthan Tour - 19 days from 1425 USD
- Taj Mahal Tour - 2 days from 3200 INR
- Taj Mahal Tour Special Agra - 3 days from 5000 INR
- Magical Golden Triangle Tour Agra - 6 days from 13000 INR
- Rajasthan Treasure Tour Agra - 7 days from 16000 INR
- Rajasthan Kings Tour - 9 days from 19000 INR
- Rajasthan Package Tour - 12 days from 28000 INR
- Rajasthan Travel Tour - 14 days from 31000 INR
- Luxury Palace on Wheel Tour - 10 days from 2525 USD
- North India with Taj Mahal - 10 days from 350 USD
Email the tour operator - Overland to Varanasi
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.