Spend the Night with the Tibetans
- Price from:
- 177 GBP /person
- 01273 322048
- 01273 732 791
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
Last updated: 03/12/2009
Travel through the Himalayan foothills to a Tibetan village where youâll eat and spend the night at the home of a Tibetan family, giving you a taste of life in the Chinese countryside
Lijiang - Arrival in ZhongdianYou'll begin by travelling overland to Zhongdian which is a few hours drive away. During the drive you'll pass through mountain passes and valleys. You'll travel by bus and experience what it's like to travel by public transport through China. At times your sitting space may be limited; however you'll be sitting in between locals and enjoying cheerful- albeit mostly unintelligible- music.
After about 6 hours you'll reach Zhongdian, which thanks to a Chinese publicity stunt is also known as Shangri-La. You'll be awaited by a driver and a guide and together you'll drive on to the picturesque Tibetan countryside. You'll spend the night with a local family in Napa village near Napa Lake. As you can imagine, you won't stay in a luxurious accommodation. You'll have your own bedroom, however you'll share the bathroom facilities with the family and more often then not there is no hot water. In the evening you'll have dinner with the family.
The following morning you'll have breakfast with the family and then you'll have time to go on a walk through the village or around the lake. There's a temple and a school that you can visit. Children in this town receive education with a minimum of materials available to them. Around noon the time will come to say goodbye to your host family and the village and you'll drive on another 30 minutes to Zhongdian.
You'll be dropped off at a charming Tibetan style hotel in the historic part of the city. If you like, you can take a taxi cab to the three hundred year old Tibetan Ganden Sumtseling Gompa Monastery. The monastery is home to more than 300 monks and lies on the outskirts of Zhongdian in a magnificent natural environment. The monastery is the most important Tibetan complex in south-western China. After visiting the monastery you can go into the old town for a meal.
Departure from Zhongdian Today this module will end and you'll arrange your own transport to the Zhongdian airport. If you'd like to visit Tibet, there are two morning flights to Lhasa each day. You can also visit the karst mountains near Guilin (transfer in Kunming) with the Bamboo sailing through karst mountains module. If you like you can also travel back to Lijiang, perhaps to hike the Tiger Leaping Gorge, or travel to Dali by bus.
- Inclusions -
- Transfer Lijiang station, transport, accommodation, 1x dinner, 2x breakfast, English speaking guide in Zhongdian
- Exclusions -
- Other meals and drinks, entrance fee
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Lijiang
Email the tour operator - Spend the Night with the Tibetans
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.