Mekong & Dolphins and Laos
- Nature / Eco
- Price from:
- 121 GBP /person
- 01273 322042
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
Last updated: 02/19/2009
Travel upstream along the mighty Mekong River towards southern Laos. Get a feel for life on one of the most famous rivers in the world. Get lucky and see the famous Irrawaddy dolphins along the way.
Phnom Penh - KratieToday you'll be picked up from your hotel in Phnom Penh and taken to the bus station. We'll arrange the bus ticket for you for the bus trip that will take you to the city of Kratie in 6 to 8 hours. You'll be able to easily arrange the transfer from the bus station to your hotel on your own. You'll spend the night in a hotel which is directly located on the boulevard along the Mekong River. This location is ideal for watching small boats pass by the hotel.
KratieKratie is known for being the home of the rare fresh water dolphin, the Irrawaddy. The best time to spot these unique creatures is early in the morning or at the end of the afternoon. Go out and look for a local scooter driver to take you to the best spots near the small islands in the Mekong. You could also arrange a boat to take you out for a closer look at the dolphins. There are no activities planned for today and you can spend the day as you wish. Since Kratie was spared during the war, you can enjoy a walk past the historic Khmer houses on the edge of the Mekong. More information on excursion options is available on location. Tonight you'll spend another night in the same hotel by the Mekong River.
Kratie - Stung TrengIn the morning you'll be taken to the bus station where you'll catch a bus and travel over gravel roads to Stung Treng. This is a sleepy small town on the Mekong River in the Rattanakhiri province. This untainted province is located at the tri-country area of Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam and quite far away from tourist areas. You'll spend the night in the newest hotel in town in a room with a television, bath and toilet. Unfortunately there's no warm water available...... but it's coming soon. Your hotel room will have a view of the broad river and the local market. Just north of the city you'll find the Stung Treng Women's Development Centre where the women from Stung Treng come to weave silk. When you purchase one of their products, you help them to build a better future for themselves. As a sign of their gratitude they'll give you a small gift made out of silk.
LaosThis morning you'll go on a boat trip to one of the most deserted areas of the Mekong. Local fishers work non-stop trying to reel their nets in and small children on board will try to catch a glimpse of you. After about an hour and a half you'll arrive at the Laotian border (Veunkham). You will have to attain your visa for Laos prior to departure; visas are not available at the border. After a few stamps in your passport you'll cross the border towards Laos. From here we can arrange a transfer for you towards Pakse, or you can start on one of our Laos Tours. For instance you may want to get to know the Boloven Plateau waterfalls or the Mekong islands in Laos.
- Inclusions -
- All transportation and excursions as mentioned in the daily itinerary, accommodation with breakfast
- Exclusions -
- Other meals, drinks and excursions
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Phnom Penh
- Cambodia Discovery - 6 days from 584 USD
- Trek Rattanakiri - 11 days from 1430 USD
- Motorbiking Adventure Cambodia - 14 days from 2238 USD
- 8 Days Cycling Cambodia - 8 days from 1010 USD
- Along the Mekong to Saigon - 3 days from 135 GBP
- On the Road to Thailand - 2 days from 142 GBP
- Cambodia Beach Getaway - 5 days from 230 GBP
- Passage through Cambodia - 7 days from 348 GBP
- Angkor Wat Round Trip - 7 days from 225 GBP
- Cambodia Heritage - 5 days from 500 USD
- Phnom Penh Siem Reap Angkor Wat Tours - 7 days from 441 USD
- Colors of Cambodia - 6 days from 370 USD
- Cambodia Classic - 5 days from 315 USD
- Angkor Classic C 5 Days - 5 days from 468 USD
- Angkor Classic - 3 days from 147 USD
- Phnom Penh Classic - 3 days from 106 USD
- Cambodia 7 Days Tour Phnom Penh & Siem Reap Angkor Wat - 7 days from 595 USD
- Northern temple Trail - 5 days from 625 USD
- Ultimate Cardamom Adventure - 8 days from 920 USD
- Gastronomic Delights of Cambodia - 6 days from 352 GBP
- Cambodia in a Nutshell - 5 days from 233 GBP
- Motorcycle Tour in Cambodia Kratie Stung Treng - 4 days from 480 USD
- Motorcycle Tour in Cambodia Ultimate Cardamom Adventure - 6 days from 720 USD
- Motorcycle Tour in Cambodia Northern Temple Trail - 7 days from 840 USD
- Motorcycle Tour in Cambodia Northeastern Adventure - 8 days from 960 USD
- Motorcycle Tour in Cambodia Kampot - 4 days from 480 USD
- Motorcycle Tour in Cambodia Koh Kong - 4 days from 480 USD
- Back to Cambodia - 5 days from 243 USD
- Cambodia Forever - 5 days from 243 USD
Email the tour operator - Mekong & Dolphins and Laos
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.