- Price from:
- 3200 USD /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 7 days
- Location Start:
- Rwenzori Mountains Services (RMS) offices at Nyakalengija
- Location Finish:
- Rwenzori Mountains Services (RMS) offices at Nyakalengija
- Start time:
- 08.00 am
- End time:
- 04.00 pm
- We Speak:
Last updated: 08/16/2007
Tourists keen on mountaineering regard the Rwenzori in Uganda as one of Africa's most strenuous mountains demanding lots of psychological and physical preparation. You don't want to miss it.
Today's total time for an average hiker [from Nyakalengija (offices) to Nyabitaba] is about 5-7 hours and elevation gained is about 4,000ft (1,200m).
Slower hikers may take considerably longer so see to it that you leave the park offices before noon to avoid being on the trail after dark.
Today theres a one hour walk to John Matte hut (11,200ft/ 3,414m) through a challenging bog full of extra-ordinary plants and the slow pace can be a delightful chance to examine and photogragh this unique enviroment. It takes about seven hours to reach John Matte from Nyabitaba [where you stayed for the night].
Some hikers consider this to be the longest and most tiring of the circuit so an early start is important.
Leave John Matte hut to cross the Bujuku river and enter the lower Bigo bog where your first real experience of jumping from tussock to tussock on a grassy bog begins.
The trail is muddy and follows the left (southern) edge of lower Bigo bog until eventually it reaches the round metal 'uniport' - the Bigo hut and its roch shelter. A steep section past the hut leads to the upper Bigo bog.
Rising and falling the trail descends past Upper lake Kitandara through thick mud to lower lake and Kitandara hut about 13,200ft (4,023m) above sea level. This lovely site is sorrounded by towering peaks but the sun sets early and the nights can be cold.
From Bujuku to Kitandara Huts takes roughly 3-5 hours; the elevation gain to the pass from Bujuku being 1,400ft (425) and becuase Scott Elliot is the highest point so far, some hikers will be slower due to greater effort required at these altitudes. Watch carefully for signs of altitude sickness.
An early start is advisable to avoid overheating on the steep but lovely hour-long climb from lake Kitandara which is at about 14,050ft (4,282m) to the Freshfield pass.
Viewing westwards on clear days one seas the Democratic Republic of Congo and northwards the Magherita (highest peak) and its glaciers still dominate the horizon.
Mist or rain can make tracing the trail difficult and the first one kilometre can be very slipperly. Rock shelters at Bujongolo and Kabamba are optional over-night stop-overs but it is better to push-on through the seemingly endless mud to newly constructed Guy Yeoman Hut at about 10,700ft (3,261m) above sea level.
Hikers should begin their journey back early so as to get to Nyabitaba Hut before dark. In any case the path from Guy Yeoman is quite difficult in some spots.
Helping each other and descending very slowly facing the slope instead of facing outwards is recommended, especially as one approaches Kichunchu where the trail parallels and twice crosses the Mubuku river mostly in deep mud, until the last few kilometres of good dry trail. This follows the ridge down Nyabitaba which completes the circuit.
Descend to Park Headquarters; it can take 2-3 hours.
You are great; you climbed the Mountains of the Moon!!
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Kampala
- Uganda Mountain climbing and Adventure 16 Days 15 Nights - from 7200 USD
- Experience the best of bustling Kampala - from 70 USD
- Single City Tour - from 250 USD
- Kampala City Tour - from 65 USD
- Uganda Birding Wildlife Private Safari Special 10 Days 9 Nights - 10 days from 6240 USD
- Gorilla tracking in Uganda 10Days 9Nights - 10 days from 3285 USD
- Hiking on Mt Rwenzori in Uganda 5 Days 4 Nights - 5 days from 1595 USD
- The Amazing Gorilla and Chimpanze Trek 7 Days Safari - 7 days from 1890 USD
- Bwindi 3 days Gorilla Tour - 3 days from 950 USD
- Gorilla Trek - 3 days from 1224 USD
- World Class White Water Rafting on the Nile River - 2 days from 195 USD
- Ssesse Island Tour - 3 days from 1250 USD
- Bwindi Gorilla Tour - 3 days from 1840 USD
- 09 Days Ruwenzori Hike - 9 days from 1800 USD
- 04 Days Murchison Falls Safari - 4 days from 620 USD
- Gorilla Thriller Safari - 5 days from 2450 USD
- Bwindi Gorilla Trek - 3 days from 1275 USD
- 18 Day Safari Itinerary - 18 days from 2900 USD
- 5 Days Gorilla and Primate Safari - 5 days from 705 USD
- 15 Days Best Of Uganda - 15 days from 2200 USD
- 17 Days Safari Gorillas Wildlife Primates and Adventure - 17 days from 2480 USD
- Gorilla Trekking Adventure - 3 days from 400 USD
- Best of Uganda Tour - 9 days from 1315 USD
- Gorillas & Chimpanzee and Wildlife Adventure - 14 days from 2000 USD
- 12 Days Primates Safari Uganda Rwanda - 12 days from 2272 USD
- Primates Safari 18 Days - 18 days from 1989 USD
- 5 Days Safari to Lake Mburo & Queen and Bwindi - 5 days from 1469 USD
- 3 Days City Tour - 3 days from 850 USD
- 4 Days Queen and Bwindi National Parks - 4 days from 850 USD
- 2 Days Lake Mburo - 2 days from 345 USD
- Bwndi Adventure Safaris - 8 days from 1650 USD
- Gorilla Trekking - 3 days from 426 USD
- 5 Days Primate Safari Itinerary - 5 days from 780 USD
- 8 Day Gorilla Safari - 8 days from 1270 USD
- 3 Days Safari Semliki NP - 3 days from 520 USD
- 3 Days Chimpanzee Tour - 3 days from 689 USD
- Gorilla Safari Uganda Rwanda - 5 days from 1490 USD
- Safari to Uganda Queen Elizabeth and Murchison Falls National... - 5 days from 840 USD
- Gorillas in Bwindi 3 Days - 3 days from 910 USD
- Ssese islands Safari - 4 days from 210 USD
- Gorilla Safari - 3 days from 890 USD
- Marvelous Safari - 15 days from 1752 USD
- Uganda Primates Safari - 9 days from 1360 USD
- Wildlife in Three Parks - 5 days from 1785 USD
- Gorilla Safari - 6 days from 1270 USD
- Uganda Great Primates Safari - 7 days from 1300 USD
- 21 Days Grand Tour - 21 days from 2000 USD
- 8 Days Hike to Mountain Elgon - 8 days from 595 USD
- 6 Nights 7 Days Tour Of Kibaale Forest Queen Elizabeth & The... - 7 days from 1119 USD
- 12 Days Cultural Tour - 12 days from 1023 USD
- 3 Days Queen Elizabeth National Park - 3 days from 593 USD
- 7 Days Birding aba 14 - 7 days from 1521 USD
- 10 Days Hike To The Rwenzoris The Mountains Of The Moon - 10 days from 1294 USD
- Murchison Falls National Park - 3 days from 600 USD
- Gorilla Tracking Express - 3 days from 1600 USD
- Gorilla Thrill - 8 days from 2500 USD
- Primate Watch Adventure - 10 days from 0 USD
- Gorillas in Uganda Rwanda & Congo Primate safaris Nature &... - 11 days from 2525 USD
- Uganda Gorilla Safari and Chimps - 13 days from 3949 USD
- Uganda 9 day Active Safari - 9 days from 1175 USD
- Uganda 14 day ultimate safari - 14 days from 3710 USD
- Uganda Classic Safari - 15 days from 1480 EUR
- Cultural Immersion in Uganda - 12 days from 1240 EUR
- Birding the Pearl - 10 days from 950 EUR
- Queen Elizabeth National Park - 3 days from 285 EUR
- The Unexplored East - 5 days from 475 EUR
- Chimps & the Big Four - 6 days from 625 EUR
- Primate Tour - 8 days from 880 EUR
- Experience the Nile - 4 days from 380 EUR
Email the tour operator - Mountaineering
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.