Birding the Pearl
- Nature / Eco
- Price from:
- 950 EUR /person
- +256 (0)41 267 153
- +256 (0)41 267 153
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 10 days
- Location Start:
- Location Finish:
- We Speak:
- German, Spanish, English, Dutch
Last updated: 05/04/2007
Discover birders paradise in Uganda! Go in search of the rare Shoebill Stork, find the national Crested Crane and enjoy the rich, colourful birdlife.
You will be welcomed by a representative of Great Lakes Safaris who will transfer you to your hotel in Entebbe. Depending on the time of arrival you might spend the afternoon at UWEC, home to captive animals and over 170 species of birds. This includes 7 species of weavers, such as the rare Northern Masked Weaver and Orange Weaver, etc. Dinner and overnight at Sophie's Motel.
On the first day you can enjoy a delicious breakfast and then continue for a transfer to the Heritage Trails, situated about 10 km from Entebbe. Here you will enjoy 4 hours of birding on the best trails around Kampala, with over 170 species of birds! Look out for the Brown Twin Spots, Moustached Warbler, Fain Tailed Widow bird, Striped Kingfisher, Black Bishop and many more. Lunch at the park, relax while birding and later in the afternoon return to your hotel. Dinner and overnight at Sophie's Motel.
ENTEBBE : MABAMBA SWAMP : KAMPALA
Early transfer to Mabamba Swamp, 50 kms west of Kampala. Look out for many different birds on our way to the swamp, like the Papyrus Gonolek, White Winged Warbler and Weyns Weaver. Mabamba Swamp is one of the best places to spot the rare Shoebill Stork. But also many other species can be found here, like the Allen's Gallinule, Purple Gallinule (swamp hen), Grey herons, a variety of egrets, ducks etc. The best way to enjoy the rich bird life is by canoe and you might even have the luck to encounter the elusive Sitatunga Antelope, adapted to swampy habitats. Later in the afternoon continue to Kampala to your hotel. Dinner and overnight at Olympia Hotel.
KAMPALA : MURCHISON FALLS NATIONAL PARK
After breakfast we will depart for the most beautiful protected area in Uganda, boosting over 450 species of birds: Murchison Falls National Park. Enjoy a lunch stop in Masindi before we enter the park. We will visit the magnificent falls where you will enjoy and marvel at the mighty Nile. The famous waterfall is being forced into a seven meter crevice to thunder 45 meters below in a serie of cascades. This spectacular scenery can be viewed from different points up at the baler's summit. Also birds like the African Pied Wagtail, Rock Pranticoles and a mixed flock of swifts can be viewed. Dinner and overnight at Red Chilli Rest Camp.
MURCHISON FALLS NATIONAL PARK
After an early morning breakfast you will enjoy a half-day game drive on the northern bank of the Nile, escorted by a ranger. Not only you go in search of the wildlife, including the Rotschild Giraffe, elephant, Jackson's Hartebeest and waterbucks, but you will also encounter a rich variety of savannah woodland birds: the Grey Crowned Cranes, Saddle billed Stork, Silver bird, Chestnut Capped Weaver, Spotted Morning Thrush, Common Drongo, Bruce's Green Pigeon, Black billed Dove and Namaqua Dove. After lunch we will go on a Nile cruise for game viewing at close quarters. Watch how hippos take a bath, crocodiles lying lazy at the shores and many colourful Bee-Eaters flying. Dinner and overnight at Red Chilli Rest Camp.
MURCHISON FALLS : FORT PORTAL
We depart Murchison Falls and head towards Fort Portal. The drive is almost eight hours but will provide you with some stunning views as you pass small African villages and banana plantations. The lovely town of Fort Portal rests in the shadow of the fabled Mountains of the Moon and is famous for the many tea plantations. Dinner and overnight Rwenzori View Guesthouse, excellent accommodation with view at the Rwenzori Mountains.
CRATER LAKES & BIGODI SWAMP
Early in the morning transfer to the small village Bigodi for a beautiful nature walk. The Bigodi Swamp Walk is an initiative of the local community and takes approximately 2 hours. The swamp is known for its rich diversity of birds and is often called Home of the Great Blue Turaco, a beautiful coloured bird that you can't miss. After lunch we will pass the region of the Crater Lakes for some more birding. Enjoy the beauty of hundreds of small lakes and some stunning views, while you pass little African villages. Dinner and overnight at overnight at Rwenzori View Guesthouse.
FORT PORTAL : LAKE MBURO NATIONAL PARK
After breakfast, we drive to Lake Mburo National Park via the city Mbarara. As we enter the park and head towards the accommodation it is likely you will see some wildlife, like impalas, topis, zebras and buffaloes. Look also for birds such as the Crested Francolin, Emerald Spotted Wood Dove, Bare faced Go-Away and the Common Scimitarbill. After checking in you will go on a boat ride on the lake and enjoy the rich bird life and the hippos that are cooling off. Dinner and overnight at Rwonyo Camp.
LAKE MBURO NATIONAL PARK - KAMPALA
Early start of the day as we will go for a nature walk guided by a ranger. Lake Mburo is the only national park where you can experience a safari on foot. You will encounter several species of wetland and savannah birds, impalas and other wildlife. After breakfast we transfer to Kampala with a stop at the equator for photos and some shopping. Late in the afternoon arrival in Kampala where you will be dropped at Olympia Hotel for dinner and overnight.
Enriched with an experience of a lifetime and unforgettable memories you will say goodbye to the Pearl of Africa. Depending on the time of departure you will be transferred to the airport for you flight back home. We are looking forward to seeing you again!
- Inclusions -
- Mineral water throughout the safari
- Exclusions -
- Meals and drinks not mentioned above
- Extras -
- Upgrading: If you wish to stay in luxury accommodation please notify so we can inform you about the upgrade fees. Tailor-made: If you wish to make some adjustments in the proposed itinerary please let us know. We are specialised in tailor-made safaris, so we will reply to any request.
For more details and tailor-made safaris please contact us!
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Kampala
- Uganda Mountain climbing and Adventure 16 Days 15 Nights - from 7200 USD
- Experience the best of bustling Kampala - from 70 USD
- Single City Tour - from 250 USD
- Kampala City Tour - from 65 USD
- Uganda Birding Wildlife Private Safari Special 10 Days 9 Nights - 10 days from 6240 USD
- Gorilla tracking in Uganda 10Days 9Nights - 10 days from 3285 USD
- Hiking on Mt Rwenzori in Uganda 5 Days 4 Nights - 5 days from 1595 USD
- The Amazing Gorilla and Chimpanze Trek 7 Days Safari - 7 days from 1890 USD
- Bwindi 3 days Gorilla Tour - 3 days from 950 USD
- Gorilla Trek - 3 days from 1224 USD
- World Class White Water Rafting on the Nile River - 2 days from 195 USD
- Ssesse Island Tour - 3 days from 1250 USD
- Bwindi Gorilla Tour - 3 days from 1840 USD
- 09 Days Ruwenzori Hike - 9 days from 1800 USD
- 04 Days Murchison Falls Safari - 4 days from 620 USD
- Gorilla Thriller Safari - 5 days from 2450 USD
- Bwindi Gorilla Trek - 3 days from 1275 USD
- 18 Day Safari Itinerary - 18 days from 2900 USD
- 5 Days Gorilla and Primate Safari - 5 days from 705 USD
- 15 Days Best Of Uganda - 15 days from 2200 USD
- 17 Days Safari Gorillas Wildlife Primates and Adventure - 17 days from 2480 USD
- Gorilla Trekking Adventure - 3 days from 400 USD
- Best of Uganda Tour - 9 days from 1315 USD
- Gorillas & Chimpanzee and Wildlife Adventure - 14 days from 2000 USD
- 12 Days Primates Safari Uganda Rwanda - 12 days from 2272 USD
- Primates Safari 18 Days - 18 days from 1989 USD
- 5 Days Safari to Lake Mburo & Queen and Bwindi - 5 days from 1469 USD
- 3 Days City Tour - 3 days from 850 USD
- 4 Days Queen and Bwindi National Parks - 4 days from 850 USD
- 2 Days Lake Mburo - 2 days from 345 USD
- Bwndi Adventure Safaris - 8 days from 1650 USD
- Gorilla Trekking - 3 days from 426 USD
- 5 Days Primate Safari Itinerary - 5 days from 780 USD
- 8 Day Gorilla Safari - 8 days from 1270 USD
- 3 Days Safari Semliki NP - 3 days from 520 USD
- 3 Days Chimpanzee Tour - 3 days from 689 USD
- Gorilla Safari Uganda Rwanda - 5 days from 1490 USD
- Safari to Uganda Queen Elizabeth and Murchison Falls National... - 5 days from 840 USD
- Gorillas in Bwindi 3 Days - 3 days from 910 USD
- Ssese islands Safari - 4 days from 210 USD
- Gorilla Safari - 3 days from 890 USD
- Marvelous Safari - 15 days from 1752 USD
- Uganda Primates Safari - 9 days from 1360 USD
- Wildlife in Three Parks - 5 days from 1785 USD
- Mountaineering - 7 days from 3200 USD
- Gorilla Safari - 6 days from 1270 USD
- Uganda Great Primates Safari - 7 days from 1300 USD
- 21 Days Grand Tour - 21 days from 2000 USD
- 8 Days Hike to Mountain Elgon - 8 days from 595 USD
- 6 Nights 7 Days Tour Of Kibaale Forest Queen Elizabeth & The... - 7 days from 1119 USD
- 12 Days Cultural Tour - 12 days from 1023 USD
- 3 Days Queen Elizabeth National Park - 3 days from 593 USD
- 7 Days Birding aba 14 - 7 days from 1521 USD
- 10 Days Hike To The Rwenzoris The Mountains Of The Moon - 10 days from 1294 USD
- Murchison Falls National Park - 3 days from 600 USD
- Gorilla Tracking Express - 3 days from 1600 USD
- Gorilla Thrill - 8 days from 2500 USD
- Primate Watch Adventure - 10 days from 0 USD
- Gorillas in Uganda Rwanda & Congo Primate safaris Nature &... - 11 days from 2525 USD
- Uganda Gorilla Safari and Chimps - 13 days from 3949 USD
- Uganda 9 day Active Safari - 9 days from 1175 USD
- Uganda 14 day ultimate safari - 14 days from 3710 USD
- Uganda Classic Safari - 15 days from 1480 EUR
- Cultural Immersion in Uganda - 12 days from 1240 EUR
- Queen Elizabeth National Park - 3 days from 285 EUR
- The Unexplored East - 5 days from 475 EUR
- Chimps & the Big Four - 6 days from 625 EUR
- Primate Tour - 8 days from 880 EUR
- Experience the Nile - 4 days from 380 EUR
Email the tour operator - Birding the Pearl
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.