Mt Kilimanjaro Marangu Route
- Walking / Hiking
- Price from:
- 1554 USD /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 7 days
- Location Start:
- Kilimanjaro Airport
- Location Finish:
- Kilimanjaro Airport
- Start time:
- 11.30 am
- End time:
- 03.00 pm
- We Speak:
- German, French, English
Last updated: 07/10/2009
The easiest route to the summit of Kilimanjaro, sometimes called the Coca-Cola Route. The Marangu route takes you at a gentle pace through forests, moorlands and then across the Saddle...
Arrival at Kilimanjaro International Airport (KIA) and transfer to Moshi in a hotel for dinner and overnight.
After breakfast you drive to the starting point. From the gate, you ascend a cleared ridge trail, formerly a vehicle track to Mandara Hut. The cleared trail is the fastest way to Mandara, but opportunities to see wildlife or enjoy the forest are limited due to the heavy foot traffic. An alternative is to ascend along the parallel forest trail and descend on the main trail. The forest trail branches off to the left, a few minutes after the gate, and follows the edge of a stream through the undergrowth. About halfway (11/2 hrs from the gate) you can choose to cross the stream and rejoin the main trail, or continue on the forest trail. Both trails continue on opposite sides of the stream, merging about one hour before Mandara Hut (2700m). Here the night will be spent in huts.
From Mandara Hut the trail passes through a short stretch of forest and skirts the base of Maundi Crater, crosses a meadow and a wooded stream, then emerges into grassland. It is well worth the short detour to scramble up to the rim of Maundi Crater for a superb view of the mountain and its surroundings. The trail crosses numerous moorland ravines before ending at Horombo Hut (3720m), which is set in a rocky valley with a fine stand of giant senesces or groundsels. Overnight will be spent in hut at Horombo Hut.
From Horombo Hut there are two trails to the Saddle. The right fork is very stony and eroded and is most direct route to the Saddle and Mawenzi. From the Saddle (about 2 hours from Horombo), there are trails to Mawenzi Hut (1/2 hr) or Mawenzi Turn Hut (2 1/2 hrs) and across the length of the Saddle to Kibo Hut (3hrs). The left fork from Horombo Hut is an easier trail and emerges on the Saddle much closer to Kibo and about one kilometer from Kibo Hut (4700m). Overnight will be spent in hut at Kibo Hut.
The trail to the summit lies directly behind Kibo Hut, to the west. It is normal to start this day's climb at 2 am or earlier. (The reasons for this are to see the sun rise over Mawenzi from the top of Kibo, the loose stone scree is frozen - making it easier to climb, and you can get back in good time). The first part is an uneven trail, which leads to the Hans Meyer Cave , a good rest point. After that, the trail makes more regular switchbacks most of the way to the top, with a last scramble over rocks to Johannes Notch and Gilman's Point. From there, the trail continues along the rim past Stella Point to Uhuru Peak (5895m). As you descend the scree from the rim back to Kibo Hut, it is tempting to run fast, but this can result in clouds of irritant dust and even unpleasant falls. The return to Horombo Hut will seem surprisingly fast compared to the ascent. Overnight will be spent in hut at Horombo Hut.
Descend from Horombo Hut. You can easily make Mandara Hut by lunchtime, and continue to the Park gate in the afternoon. Then proceed to Moshi / Arusha for hot shower dinner and overnight.
Transfer to departure Kilimanjaro International Airport or to your next safari destination.
- Inclusions -
- Food for clients on the mountain
- Exclusions -
- Tips for guides & Porters
- Extras -
- Our Prices also base on the number of Pax, The higher the number the lower the price.
The Program for Marangu route can be 5 Days to 6 Days on the mountain.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Kilimanjaro
- Beyond Adventure 15 Days 14 Nights Safari - 15 days from 3980 USD
- 3 Days Tarangire - 3 days from 905 USD
- 4 Days Lake Manyara Ngorongoro - 4 days from 1225 USD
- 5 Days Manyara Serengeti Ngorongoro - 5 days from 1780 USD
- 6 Days Ngorongoro Ndutu - 6 days from 2185 USD
- 7 Days Ngorongoro Serengeti Manyara Tarangire - 7 days from 1975 USD
- Mt Kilimanjaro Rongai Route - 9 days from 1490 USD
- Mt Kilimanjaro Machame Route - 8 days from 1510 USD
- Mt Kilimanjaro Lemosho Route - 10 days from 1750 USD
- Peak Of Africa Kilimanjaro Climb Machame Route - 6 days from 1050 USD
- Nature Wildlife Viewing & Cultural Tourism in Tanzania - 8 days from 2240 USD
- Kilimanjaro The Machame Route - 8 days from 1110 USD
Email the tour operator - Mt Kilimanjaro Marangu Route
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.