Namaqualand Daisy Tour
- Price from:
- 6750 ZAR /person
- +27(0)11646 9970
- +27 86 606 6940
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 6 days
- Location Start:
- Location Finish:
- We Speak:
Last updated: 06/20/2008
Escape Cycle Tours invites you witness to one of Natures spectacles.Namaqualand Daisies in bloom for only 6 weeks of the year Sep/Aug. See this marvel on a mountain bike with back up vehicle in tow.
Pick up at Upington airport from where we will transfer riders to Keimoes. After a light breakfast we cycle on gravel roads along the Orange River to Kakamas.
After a break, cycle to a place called Riemvasmaak on typical Kalahari gravel roads.
Along the way you can experience the Kalahari grass fields with quiver trees and rocky mountains, where the ancient Malopo riverbed cuts through the mountain to form spectacular ravines. These ravines are seen only by 4x4 drivers and runners on the Extreme Kalahari Marathon: now cyclists can experience it for the first time.
Our accommodation tonight is in Riemvasmaak. This area was well known as a testing ground for rockets, but today it is driven as a local community project by the Nama people.
Overnight: Riemvasmaak Hot Water Spring Chalets DB&B (80km - 100km cycle)
Cycle from Riemvasmaak, out of the ravine on 4x4 tracks towards Vredenville & Blouputs, which is well known overseas for it's table grapes. Onto the famous Augrabies Waterfall situated on the Orange River, the longest river in South Africa. Just before the Falls, the wide river flows through a narrow gorge from which it bursts explosively and plunges 65 metres into a deep pool. The churning black cauldron at the bottom of the Falls is said to contain a fortune in diamonds washed down by the river! After a light lunch, we drive to Pofadder and later we will have a cycle to our overnight stop Klein-Pella.
Overnight: Klein-Pella Guest House DB&B (75km + 85km cycle)
After breakfast, cycle a circular route to the Orange River and then amongst 1700 date palms. Did you know that South Africa is the largest exporter of dates in the world? Cycle along the Orange River, appreciating the solitude of this area!! Continue to Pella, where we will visit the old Cathedral.
Overnight: Klein-Pella Guest House DB&B (100 km)
After breakfast we travel via Springbok to Kamieskroon.
We do a handicap morning cycle in Springbok Goegap Nature Reserve on a well known mountain bike trail. In the afternoon we cycle in the Namaqualand National Park (Skilpad Flower Reserve), savour the closeness to nature and the absolute beauty of the surrounds. The 1000-hectare reserve is renowned as one of the best places to see spring flowers in Namaqualand. It catches much of the rain that blows off the sea and has magnificent flower displays even when the surrounding areas do not.
Overnight: Guest House in Kamieskroon DB&B (16+60 km cycle)
Depart early and weather dependent, we will cycle up the Kamiesberg Mountain Pass, towards Nourivier and on to the tiny mission village of Leliefontein. Several of its buildings, the Methodist Church and Parsonage of the Mission Station are National Monuments and are 150 years old. We end our day at Garies
Overnight: Guest House in Kamieskroon
We start our return journey to Upington via Springbok, Pofadder to Kanon Eiland.
On arrival cycle your last stretch to Bazelel for lunch and Mampoer and wine tasting.
Shower facilities will be available before leaving for Upington Airport
- Inclusions -
- All entrance fees to Nature Reserves
- Exclusions -
- Extras -
- 28th August - 2nd September 2008
For at least nine months of every year Namaqualand is a dry and barren semi-desert area on the West Coast of Africa.
However, between August and October the life-giving rains transform the ordinarily arid landscape into a thick and lush wildflower carpet of every colour. In terms of natural selection, the flowers of Namaqualand have been chosen for their ability to survive and multiply in a somewhat hostile environment.
The climate is semi-arid to arid, the coast is sandy and there are rocky hills towards the escarpment.
The coastal areas of this region are cool, but the inland areas are very hot and dry in summer. Join Escape Cycle Tours as we explore this fascinating area of South Africa.
This route was designed to experience the extreme Namaqualand in all its facets - from sandy stretches to rocky paths and beautiful mountain passes.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Johannesburg
- Johannesburg City Tour - from 300 ZAR
- Soweto Cultural Half Day Tour - from 650 ZAR
- Soweto Experience - from 850 ZAR
- Adventures Incorporated - from 250 ZAR
- Jozi Jive - from 800 ZAR
- Newtown Walking Tour - from 80 ZAR
- Soweto Tour - from 695 ZAR
- Lesedi Cultural Village and Sterkfontein Caves - from 800 ZAR
- De Wildt Cheetah Farm and Pretoria - from 550 ZAR
- Sun City - from 750 ZAR
- Pretoria and Cullinan Diamond Mine - from 965 ZAR
- Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve - from 1250 ZAR
- 9 Day Kruger Park & Barra Reef - 9 days from 1680 USD
- 8 Day 7 Night Self Drive Tour Kruger Park And Mozambique - 8 days from 1500 USD
- 4 Day 3 Night Kruger National Park Safarional Park Safari - 4 days from 850 USD
- The Ultimate South Africa Experience - 20 days from 1183 GBP
- Eastern Nature Trail - 14 days from 723 GBP
- Cultures Off The Beaten Track - 24 days from 1152 GBP
- Out Of Africa - 23 days from 1419 GBP
- South Africa Without Borders - 27 days from 1378 GBP
- 22 Day Kruger & Botswana and Zimbabwe Tour - 22 days from 990 GBP
- 24 Day South Africa 4WD Tour - 24 days from 1197 GBP
- Go South Africa - 20 days from 1098 GBP
- Carefree South Africa - 20 days from 1132 GBP
- 10 Day South Africa and Mozambique 4WD - 10 days from 350 GBP
- 15 Day South Africa 4WD - 15 days from 848 GBP
- 17 Day South Africa 4WD - 17 days from 718 GBP
- 18 Day Beach and Bush South Africa and Mozambique 4WD - 18 days from 853 GBP
- Exclusive Kruger Game Drives - 5 days from 347 GBP
- Culture and Parks of the North - 6 days from 586 GBP
- Lesotho Mountain Trail - 8 days from 251 GBP
- Kruger Walking Tours - 5 days from 462 GBP
- 3 Day Budget Kruger Park Open Vehicle Safari - 3 days from 3980 ZAR
- 4 Day Budget Kruger Park Open Vehicle Safari - 4 days from 4830 ZAR
- 8 Day Accessible Kruger Safari - 8 days from 8999 ZAR
- Dinaka Horseback Safaris - 8 days from 3344 USD
- Classical South Africa 14 Days - 14 days from 2000 USD
- Johannesburg and Durban Golf Tour - 9 days from 14054 ZAR
- Africa Big 5 Kruger National Park - 10 days from 2500 USD
- 3 Day Kruger Park Safari - 3 days from 5980 ZAR
- Kruger National Park Explorer - 4 days from 8400 ZAR
- Great Wildlife Expedition - 6 days from 12500 ZAR
- Cultural Experience - 4 days from 8000 ZAR
- Kruger Safari - 4 days from 7000 ZAR
- Luxury Safari - 8 days from 30000 ZAR
Email the tour operator - Namaqualand Daisy Tour
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.