Lesotho Mountain Trail
- Price from:
- 251 GBP /person
- 01273 322047
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
Last updated: 02/19/2009
Visit the rugged, mountainous kingdom of Lesotho. Take 4WD trips over high mountain passes and go on horse-back rides along spectacular waterfalls and gorges. Travel the vast open spaces of the Karoo.
Johannesburg/ Pretoria (or Durban) - Golden Gate National Park Pick up your rental car today at either the Johannesburg, Pretoria or Durban airport and head towards the Golden Gate Highlands National Park. This 12.000 acre park is located at the base of the Maluti mountains. The scenery here is a mix of majestic sandstone cliffs (such as those seen in the picture to the right) wooded valleys and wide open spaces. You'll spend the night at the rest camp in basic huts/chalets; your meals are not included. The camp has a restaurant and a pool (with slide) in the shape of a 'mountain springs pond'. The pool feels wonderful after a warm day of hiking. Go on a short hike in the cool afternoon air (1 to 5 hour hikes) or go on a game drive (see zebras, bush bucks, etc.) in your own rental car. You'll see both San and Bushman rock drawings in the park. There are also areas here where you can play tennis or go on horseback rides. In other words, you won't be bored while staying here.
Total distance on day 1 is approximately 350 km.
Golden Gate Park - LesothoToday you'll drive along the border at Peka into the former homeland Lesotho. You'll spend the night in a traditional farm house in the mountains at 2000 metres, in the south-western part of Lesotho. This part of the country with its villages and waterfalls is also called Valley of Paradise. Your basic yet comfortable accommodation with restaurant, bar, studio and store was restored by its present owners (both born and raised in Lesotho) from a lodge to its current state. In total, there are approximately 40 rooms. You'll either stay in the farm house itself or in one of the new cottages. In any case you'll always have your own private bathroom. There is a generator available for electricity from 18.00-22.00, therefore don't forget to bring your flashlight. In the evening, enjoy the local (internationally acclaimed) children's choir and band.
Total distance on day 2 is approximately 350 km.
LesothoStart your day with a pony ride to the Botsoela waterfalls, where you'll also be able to see bushman paintings. Along the way you'll pass various Basotho villages and sheepherders with their herds. Riding experience is not required, however the trip will take approximately 6 hours (of which about 4 hours on the back of the pony).
Hikes or a 4WD landrover tour can also be booked (minimum of 4 participants). Your lodge will supply you with all the necessary information. You can also visit a school, the local medicine man / 'herbalist' or a garden project in the area.
Lesotho - Aliwal North
Today you'll leave Lesotho and you'll drive south towards the town of Aliwal North. During your drive out of Lesotho you'll be able to enjoy the view of the mountains in this very special country Lesotho. Aliwal North lies on the border with the Eastern Cape and Free State and is known for the country life and the many spa's in the area. There are also several museums you can visit, such as a museum on World War I. If you rather spend your day more actively, you can also go rafting, mountain biking or hiking in the area. You'll spend the night in a lodge with a beautiful view of the river and you're sure to enjoy the mountainous surroundings.
Total distance on day 4 is approximately 250 km.
Aliwal North - Graaff Reinet
Today you'll travel to Graaff Reinet, located in the fertile Sundays River Valley in the heart of the arid and barren Karoo. Graaff Reinet is one of the most historic spots in South Africa. The air is still heavy with nostalgia and it's easy to imagine settlers living here in the past. There are more monuments here than in any other place in South Africa (most of them are private homes). The streets here are broad and were designed to allow fully loaded ox-carts to pass through them. In the evening you'll drive north into the Karoo natural reserve for a spectacular sunset at the famous Valley of Desolation. You'll see 120 metre high dolorite-stone pillars rise up into the sky here. The Spandau Head is also located here. It's one of the highest points of the valley and almost seems to be from another planet.
Total distance on day 5 is approximately 450 km.
Graaff Reinet Visit the Karoo natural reserve today for some game spotting. You'll see different types of antelopes (such as hartebeest, springbok, kudu), ostriches, Cape buffalos and Cape mountain zebras. You can also visit a village full of Cape-Dutch style houses; each one of these homes has been declared a monument. Another exciting experience in this area is a balloon ride over the vast Karoo area. A cheaper and less elevated alternative would be to venture out and explore the area in your own rental car. The local ' Tourist Information' will answer any questions you may have about activities in the area.
Graaff Reinet - Addo Elephant National Park
Travel south to Addo Elephant National Park, located in the Eastern Cape province. The area was declared a national park in 1931 when only 12 elephants remained in the area. These days the eco-system has been restored and you'll find more than 350 elephants, 300 buffalos, black rhinos and all kinds of antelopes here (luckily not all in the same spot). There are plans to expand the 125.000 acre park by approximately 4x its size. You'll spend the night in one of the National Park chalets. If you wish, you could join an organized game drive in the Schotia game reserve in the evening. Your accommodation can give you more information about this optional activity.
Total distance on day 7 is approximately 250 km.
Addo Elephant Park - Port Elizabeth Today you'll travel from Addo to Port Elizabeth. It's a short ride of about 80 km. From Port Elizabeth you can continue travelling along the southern coast of South Africa with our module Garden Route Adventure Trail.
- Inclusions -
- Breakfast Lesotho/Graaff Reinet; Golden Gate and Addo accommodation only and trail information
- Exclusions -
- Car rental and entrance fees for several parks (Addo approx. R 80 per person, per day)
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Johannesburg
- Johannesburg City Tour - from 300 ZAR
- Soweto Cultural Half Day Tour - from 650 ZAR
- Soweto Experience - from 850 ZAR
- Adventures Incorporated - from 250 ZAR
- Jozi Jive - from 800 ZAR
- Newtown Walking Tour - from 80 ZAR
- Soweto Tour - from 695 ZAR
- Lesedi Cultural Village and Sterkfontein Caves - from 800 ZAR
- De Wildt Cheetah Farm and Pretoria - from 550 ZAR
- Sun City - from 750 ZAR
- Pretoria and Cullinan Diamond Mine - from 965 ZAR
- Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve - from 1250 ZAR
- 9 Day Kruger Park & Barra Reef - 9 days from 1680 USD
- 8 Day 7 Night Self Drive Tour Kruger Park And Mozambique - 8 days from 1500 USD
- 4 Day 3 Night Kruger National Park Safarional Park Safari - 4 days from 850 USD
- The Ultimate South Africa Experience - 20 days from 1183 GBP
- Eastern Nature Trail - 14 days from 723 GBP
- Cultures Off The Beaten Track - 24 days from 1152 GBP
- Out Of Africa - 23 days from 1419 GBP
- South Africa Without Borders - 27 days from 1378 GBP
- 22 Day Kruger & Botswana and Zimbabwe Tour - 22 days from 990 GBP
- 24 Day South Africa 4WD Tour - 24 days from 1197 GBP
- Go South Africa - 20 days from 1098 GBP
- Carefree South Africa - 20 days from 1132 GBP
- 10 Day South Africa and Mozambique 4WD - 10 days from 350 GBP
- 15 Day South Africa 4WD - 15 days from 848 GBP
- 17 Day South Africa 4WD - 17 days from 718 GBP
- 18 Day Beach and Bush South Africa and Mozambique 4WD - 18 days from 853 GBP
- Exclusive Kruger Game Drives - 5 days from 347 GBP
- Culture and Parks of the North - 6 days from 586 GBP
- Kruger Walking Tours - 5 days from 462 GBP
- 3 Day Budget Kruger Park Open Vehicle Safari - 3 days from 3980 ZAR
- 4 Day Budget Kruger Park Open Vehicle Safari - 4 days from 4830 ZAR
- 8 Day Accessible Kruger Safari - 8 days from 8999 ZAR
- Namaqualand Daisy Tour - 6 days from 6750 ZAR
- Dinaka Horseback Safaris - 8 days from 3344 USD
- Classical South Africa 14 Days - 14 days from 2000 USD
- Johannesburg and Durban Golf Tour - 9 days from 14054 ZAR
- Africa Big 5 Kruger National Park - 10 days from 2500 USD
- 3 Day Kruger Park Safari - 3 days from 5980 ZAR
- Kruger National Park Explorer - 4 days from 8400 ZAR
- Great Wildlife Expedition - 6 days from 12500 ZAR
- Cultural Experience - 4 days from 8000 ZAR
- Kruger Safari - 4 days from 7000 ZAR
- Luxury Safari - 8 days from 30000 ZAR
Email the tour operator - Lesotho Mountain Trail
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.