Culture and Parks of the North
- Price from:
- 586 GBP /person
- 01273 322047
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
Last updated: 02/19/2009
Take a less travelled route and visit the Limpopo Province of South Africa. Stay in the territory of the Pedi people on the banks of the Letaba River. Explore the Madikwe Game Reserve in open-top 4WDs
Johannesburg / Pretoria - Madikwe Game Reserve After arrival at Johannesburg airport or if you prefer, drive your rental car to the Madikwe game reserve in the morning after an overnight stay in Pretoria. Your accommodation is located on this game reserve where you'll not only find the Big-5; you'll also be sharing this park with second largest elephant population in South Africa. Stay in one of the cosy rooms at our luxurious bush lodge and experience the genuine safari-feeling every second of your trip..... even while floating in the swimming pool. The swimming pool looks out over the bush and you'll be able to hear the lions roar in the distance. Since this park is Malaria-free, it's also a great destination for families with children. Not only is breakfast included in this trip, but so are all other meals. Meals are served in the lodge's open air boma (restaurant). Game drives are included in the price of this trip.
Total distance on day 1 is approximately 350 km or 4,5 hours.
Madikwe Game ReserveWake up bright and early and enjoy a game drive at sunrise. Our professional lodge rangers will take you out in an open LandRover in search of lions, hyenas, leopards and cheetahs. Of course these aren't the only animals you'll encounter, you'll also see elephants, rhinos, different types of antelopes, zebras and ostriches. The rangers will tell you everything there is to know about the bush.
The bush camp is separated from the open bush and the Big 5 by a large fence. This fence allows you to walk around freely through the camp without having a ranger present. Of course you can always choose to lounge around in the pool for a while if you're looking for a cool place to relax. At the end of the afternoon it's time for more activity. Hop back into the LandRover and discover entirely different animals than the animals you encountered during the morning game drive. In the evening after dinner, unwind by the campfire while gazing up at the starry African sky and discussing the amazing adventures you've had during the day with your new friends at the bush camp.
Madikwe - BronkhorstspruitAfter breakfast it's time to leave the game reserve behind you and embark on the long drive to your next stop. From Pretoria you'll travel towards Bronkhorstspruit, near the Loskop Dam game reserve. This 27 kilometre dam is one of the largest in Southern Africa and is home to all kinds of birds and impressive animals. If you have some time left over this afternoon, it's definitely worth a visit. If you prefer a relaxing afternoon by the pool, keep driving until you reach a cosy guest house and relax with a dive into the cool waters of a swimming pool.
Total distance on day 3 is approximately 450 km or 6 hours.
Bronkhorstspruit - TzaneenToday you'll be driving through the arid northern territory of the Limpopo province. This area that is much more spread out than you would imagine it to be; therefore it's important to stock up on supplies in one of the villages along the way. Gradually the surroundings will become greener and sometime in the afternoon you'll arrive in Tzaneen, at the heart of Pedi territory. The name Tzaneen comes from the Pedi-word "Tzana", which means "basket full of fruit". Fittingly, Tzaneen and its surroundings are known for citrus fruit, mango and lychee cultivation. During your stay here you'll spend the night in a cosy, yet luxurious lodge on the banks of the Letaba River.
Total distance on day 4 is approximately 300 km or 4 hours.
Tzaneen The Limpopo province is where you'll find the culture of the northern Sotho, also known as the Pedi. The Pedi are best known for the legend of Modjadji, "Queen of the Rain". To find out more about the Pedi heritage visit the Bakone Malapa Kraal, a traditional northern Sotho settlement near Polokwane (Pietersburg).
If you'd like to participate in outdoor activities during your stay here, there is plenty to choose from: rafting, swimming, fishing, hiking in the Wolkberg, or a game of golf on the guest house golf course. You may even want to try to wrap your arms around the largest Baobab tree in the world (circumference 46,8 metres) at the Sunland orchard. This tree is believed to be at least 6000 years old! You'll spend the night at the lodge in Tzaneen once again.
Departure from TzaneenAfter breakfast your module ends here..... however, if you can't get enough of the Big 5 you can continue your journey on one of the following modules in the Kruger Park area. You can either choose to stay in Kruger Park itself and drive around independently in search of elephants and lions with the module Rondavels in Kruger, or you can choose a module that combines both Kruger and a private reserve. The module Oil Lanterns in the Bush will allow you to join rangers on safari in search of animals in the bush while you stay in small scale accommodation.
- Inclusions -
- Stay in bush lodge (full board) and 2 game drives per day (two activities on day 2, 1 activity on day 3), breakfast included in Bronkhorstspruit and Tzaneen trail information
- Exclusions -
- Car rental and park entrance fee Madikwe, (R 50,00 per person; there's a surcharge for the month of October)
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Johannesburg
- Johannesburg City Tour - from 300 ZAR
- Soweto Cultural Half Day Tour - from 650 ZAR
- Soweto Experience - from 850 ZAR
- Adventures Incorporated - from 250 ZAR
- Jozi Jive - from 800 ZAR
- Newtown Walking Tour - from 80 ZAR
- Soweto Tour - from 695 ZAR
- Lesedi Cultural Village and Sterkfontein Caves - from 800 ZAR
- De Wildt Cheetah Farm and Pretoria - from 550 ZAR
- Sun City - from 750 ZAR
- Pretoria and Cullinan Diamond Mine - from 965 ZAR
- Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve - from 1250 ZAR
- 9 Day Kruger Park & Barra Reef - 9 days from 1680 USD
- 8 Day 7 Night Self Drive Tour Kruger Park And Mozambique - 8 days from 1500 USD
- 4 Day 3 Night Kruger National Park Safarional Park Safari - 4 days from 850 USD
- The Ultimate South Africa Experience - 20 days from 1183 GBP
- Eastern Nature Trail - 14 days from 723 GBP
- Cultures Off The Beaten Track - 24 days from 1152 GBP
- Out Of Africa - 23 days from 1419 GBP
- South Africa Without Borders - 27 days from 1378 GBP
- 22 Day Kruger & Botswana and Zimbabwe Tour - 22 days from 990 GBP
- 24 Day South Africa 4WD Tour - 24 days from 1197 GBP
- Go South Africa - 20 days from 1098 GBP
- Carefree South Africa - 20 days from 1132 GBP
- 10 Day South Africa and Mozambique 4WD - 10 days from 350 GBP
- 15 Day South Africa 4WD - 15 days from 848 GBP
- 17 Day South Africa 4WD - 17 days from 718 GBP
- 18 Day Beach and Bush South Africa and Mozambique 4WD - 18 days from 853 GBP
- Exclusive Kruger Game Drives - 5 days from 347 GBP
- Lesotho Mountain Trail - 8 days from 251 GBP
- Kruger Walking Tours - 5 days from 462 GBP
- 3 Day Budget Kruger Park Open Vehicle Safari - 3 days from 3980 ZAR
- 4 Day Budget Kruger Park Open Vehicle Safari - 4 days from 4830 ZAR
- 8 Day Accessible Kruger Safari - 8 days from 8999 ZAR
- Namaqualand Daisy Tour - 6 days from 6750 ZAR
- Dinaka Horseback Safaris - 8 days from 3344 USD
- Classical South Africa 14 Days - 14 days from 2000 USD
- Johannesburg and Durban Golf Tour - 9 days from 14054 ZAR
- Africa Big 5 Kruger National Park - 10 days from 2500 USD
- 3 Day Kruger Park Safari - 3 days from 5980 ZAR
- Kruger National Park Explorer - 4 days from 8400 ZAR
- Great Wildlife Expedition - 6 days from 12500 ZAR
- Cultural Experience - 4 days from 8000 ZAR
- Kruger Safari - 4 days from 7000 ZAR
- Luxury Safari - 8 days from 30000 ZAR
Email the tour operator - Culture and Parks of the North
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud: