18 Day Beach and Bush South Africa and Mozambique 4WD
- Price from:
- 853 GBP /person
- 01273 322047
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
Last updated: 02/19/2009
Explore the wild bush in South Africa and hit the beach in Mozambique on an amazing 4WD tour. After a Kruger Park expedition, cross the border to cruise the deserted white-sand coastline of Mozambique
Arrival in Johannesburg - 4WD Pick Up - Blydepoort On arrival into Johannesburg, you'll collect your luggage and our representative will be waiting to greet you after customs. He will take you to the 4WD rental office, which is not far from the airport. You'll have all the time you need to go through all of the formalities and naturally, you'll want to check your 4WD and camping equipment to ensure it's all working properly and shows no defects. Once this is taken care of, you're all set for your grand adventure! The first leg of your drive will take approximately 6 hours. You'll drive over the N4, past Witbank, on to the Eastern Province of Mpumalanga. Slowly but surely, the countryside will become more meadow-like and hilly and traffic will become scarce. After a while you will see the peaks of the Drakensberg and the impressive, in some areas 700 metre deep, gorge of the Blyde River Canyon. You'll spend the night at the Aventura Blydepoort Park campsite. There is a small shop and restaurant on the premises.
Total distance on Day 1 is approximately 500 km.
Blyde River Canyon You will have plenty of time to go sight-seeing in this spectacular area today. Drive past Blyde River Canyon and have a look at the uniquely shaped hills at the Three Rondavels. Along the way stop to see the effects of wind and erosion on stone at Bourkes Luck Potholes. Another must-see is the view at Gods Window, where you can see all the way to Mozambique if skies are clear. There are several other worthwhile stops along the way, such as the quaint village of Sabie or former mining town Pilgram's Rest with its' historic houses, facades and stores. Be sure to visit one of the many friendly cafÃ©s in the area for lunch, for instance Scott's.
Be sure to stock up on supplies today at a supermarket in one of the larger towns.
Total distance on Day 2 is approximately 200 km.
Blydepoort - Kruger National Park After you take down your rooftop tent, drive across the breathtaking Erasmus pass towards Kruger Park's Orpen entrance. The best time to arrive at Kruger is right after sunrise. It's the best time to see animals and even more importantly, to see the Big Five. Tickets and maps are available at the entrance of the park. The speed limit in the park is 40 km per hour, so please drive carefully. Spend the night in one of the restcamps in Central Kruger. These camps are completely surrounded by gates and therefore closed off from the park. You will sleep in a rondavel (a round hut with a thatched roof) with an area for a 'braai' or bar-b-que. The camps also have a bar, a restaurant and a store (open until approximately 19.00). If you like, you can prepare your own dinner.
Kruger National Park Now, you'll spend two entire days in Kruger Park. With its 2 million acres, the park is nearly a country in and of itself! While driving your 4WD, you'll be able to explore parts of the park that aren't accessible to everyone. You'll surely leave with an incredible impression of this expansive park.
Kruger National Park If you're looking for a more hands-on adventure, we can also book a game walk for you (the price of which is approximately 35 per person). An hour before sunrise you'll head into the park with a group of a maximum of 8 participants (12 years and older) for an adventurous 3-4 hour walking safari (game walk) lead by two armed rangers. You'll explore the park on foot in search of small and large wild animals and you'll get to know all about everything that makes Kruger Park unique. Your game walk will end back at camp.
Kruger National Park - Casa Lisa It's time to say goodbye to Kruger National Park, and you'll leave through the Crocodile Bridge exit. Next, you'll continue on towards the Komatipoort/ Ressano Garcia at the Mozambique border (approx. 20 km). From here, you'll drive to the capital of Maputo, the former Lorenzo Marques. Here, you can take a quick city tour and visit Feira Popular, a part of town surrounded by a wall that has a wonderful night life with bars, restaurants and terraces. Afterwards it's time to leave the city and head north. After about 45 km you'll leave all the crowds and noise behind you and you'll reach Casa Lisa, a pleasant campsite with a restaurant. The campsite is located halfway between Maputo and XaiXai.
Total distance on Day 6 is approximately 250 km.
Casa Lisa - InhambaneToday, you'll enjoy an early breakfast and head off towards Inhambane on well paved roads. Along the way you'll pass by numerous coconut plantations as well as interesting African villages. After some time you'll reach the town Xai Xai. You'll spend the night at a campsite in Guinjata Bay, located only 50 m from the beach in between mangroves and palm trees forests. It's also located halfway along the Barra peninsula; a very picturesque part of Mozambique with a spectacular view of white sandy beaches and the crystal clear waters of the Indian Ocean. There's a fun beach bar, a reception area and fine restaurant known for its fish specialities (fresh fish is caught daily) on the premises. You can book all kinds of trips and (water) activities at the campsite's activity desk.
Total distance on Day 7 is approximately 450 km.
Free time - Inhambane Next, you'll have a couple of days to spend some time at the tropical sandy beaches looking on the crystal clear Indian Ocean. This is a great place to relax, enjoy the sunsets or go on endless walks along practically deserted beaches. However there are also more active alternatives available to you. For instance, you could rent quad-bikes or participate in watersports. The lodge has an excellent watersport centre which offers snorkelling equipment, diving opportunities (Padi course approx. Â£120), deep-sea fishing, kayaking, horseback riding (approx. Â£18) and catamaran sailing (day trip approx Â£20).
Free time - Inhambane Another enjoyable activity is a boat trip on the lagoon on a traditional Portuguese Dhow. You'll arrive in Maxixe, a city with an interesting local market on the other side of the lagoon (price approx. Â£5 - Â£8). The historic, colonial town of Inhambane, founded by Vasco da Gama in 1534, lies approximately 25 km from here. Its colonial buildings and cathedral built in 1700 are definitely worth a visit. Naturally, this trip can be extended by one or more days.
Inhambane - Vilankulo
Now, you'll travel further north towards the town of Vilankulo along the historic Mozambican Canal. Across from Vilankulo lies a chain of 5 islands: Bazaruto, Benguerra, Magaraque, Banque and Santa Carolina. The islands, known as the Bazaruto Archipelago, separated from the main land more than 25,000 years ago. The forest, savannah and swampland eco-systems are home to very unique flora and fauna. This idyllic, tropical destination with pristine, deserted beaches is now a national park. The islands, only separated by shallow water, are home to very expensive lodges. You'll easily be able to visit the archipelago from your accommodation in Vilankulo.
Total distance on Day 10 is approximately 275 km.
VilankuloYou'll spend the next two days in Vilankulo and you'll spend the nights at the Smugglers Inn campsite.
VilankuloThere are several bars and restaurants in this town that are worth visiting; they offer great food at great prices and offer you an opportunity to taste local products and local dishes. While you're here, try to visit the bustling market and the fisherman's wharf.
Vilankulo - BileneTime to move again.... this time you'll head south past Maxixe and Macia until you reach the historic town of Bilene. You'll spend the night here at the Praia do Sol campsite on the edge of the Bilene Lagoon. Bilene is one of the most popular coastal towns to the inhabitants of Maputo; they come here to relax and enjoy the beautiful beaches in the weekends. It's also a great rest stop for travellers on their way between Maputo and the more northern laying coastal towns.
Bilene has the most beautiful coral reef for diving, the Bilene reef, however snorkelling in this area isn't as enjoyable. The water in the lagoon is calm and the beach gradually descends into the water. There is a boat transfer available to the ocean; it takes approximately 30 minutes to cross the lagoon. The beach at the ocean's edge is absolutely not a tourist magnet and can only be reached by boat.
Total distance on Day 13 is approximately 600 km.
Bilene - Ponta D' Ouro After breakfast you'll travel past Maputo towards Ponta D' Ouro on a rugged sandy trail that absolutely requires 4WD driving. This is where you can really test your 4WD's capabilities. Our local agent will provide you with a detailed map so that you can easily find your way through the native bush of Mozambique. You'll spend the night at the city's campsite.
Total distance on Day 14 is approximately 300 km.
Ponta D' Ouro (free day) There are many diving schools in Ponta 'd Ouro, mainly because diving in this area is excellent! There is also a local organisation known as Dolphin Encounters, which offers trips to either play or swim with wild dolphins. This is a once in a lifetime experience that you won't want to miss.
Ponta D' Ouro - Mlilwane After you've taken down your rooftop tents, you'll cross the Swaziland border where you can visit the Swazi markets. All types are art and other products can be purchased here. As you drive further you'll reach Mlilwane Nature Park, the largest and most important park in the country. Once you've past the park entrance, head towards camp where you'll spend the night at the campsite. If you rather sleep in a bed than in a tent, it's possible to book an accommodation for the night once you reach camp.
Total distance on Day 16 is approximately 300 km.
Swaziland, MlilwaneGet an early start and have a hot bath in the warm springs just outside of camp. Float around in the warm water at sunrise, under the watchful gaze of an impala or a zebra. This is such a pleasant way to start of the day! If you prefer a little less unconventional start of your day, have a dip into the 'regular' pool?
Today you'll have plenty of time to unwind from your long road trips. Make reservations the prior evening and go on an early morning horseback ride straight through the park (for beginners or intermediates) or go on a mountain bike ride to âExecutioners Rock'. In the past, unlucky criminals were thrown to their death from this elevated rock formation.
There are also several hiking trails near the camp. Enjoy a hike through nature and leave all forms of motorized transportation far behind you. You'll notice the incredibly calming effect it will have on you. Although you won't see any lions or other predators, there are plenty of crocodiles and hippos in the lakes, streams and banks of the river. Be sure not to get to close to these areas.
Swaziland - Johannesburg - End of itinerary
Today, you'll leave Mlilwane National Park behind you today and if you have enough time you can visit a nearby candle factory Malkerns or a glass factory in Ngwenya. Afterwards you'll drive on well paved roads back to the starting point of your trip, Johannesburg airport. Most likely you'll be taking some very unforgettable memories home with you!
- Inclusions -
- A single or double Cab 4WD for 18 days, camping equipment, unlimited kilometres, camp site accommodation, meals as mentioned, road maps, trail information and border documents
- Exclusions -
- Kruger entrance fees (approx. R120 per person), additional park entrance fees, fuel, toll, border expenses, if applicable additional game drives, excess pay-off and international flights. Note: excess pay-off is also possible prior to departure - just ask for our all-in rates.
- Extras -
- Â£853 per person is based on 4 people sharing
Â£1176 per person is based on 2 people sharing
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Johannesburg
- Johannesburg City Tour - from 300 ZAR
- Soweto Cultural Half Day Tour - from 650 ZAR
- Soweto Experience - from 850 ZAR
- Adventures Incorporated - from 250 ZAR
- Jozi Jive - from 800 ZAR
- Newtown Walking Tour - from 80 ZAR
- Soweto Tour - from 695 ZAR
- Lesedi Cultural Village and Sterkfontein Caves - from 800 ZAR
- De Wildt Cheetah Farm and Pretoria - from 550 ZAR
- Sun City - from 750 ZAR
- Pretoria and Cullinan Diamond Mine - from 965 ZAR
- Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve - from 1250 ZAR
- 9 Day Kruger Park & Barra Reef - 9 days from 1680 USD
- 8 Day 7 Night Self Drive Tour Kruger Park And Mozambique - 8 days from 1500 USD
- 4 Day 3 Night Kruger National Park Safarional Park Safari - 4 days from 850 USD
- The Ultimate South Africa Experience - 20 days from 1183 GBP
- Eastern Nature Trail - 14 days from 723 GBP
- Cultures Off The Beaten Track - 24 days from 1152 GBP
- Out Of Africa - 23 days from 1419 GBP
- South Africa Without Borders - 27 days from 1378 GBP
- 22 Day Kruger & Botswana and Zimbabwe Tour - 22 days from 990 GBP
- 24 Day South Africa 4WD Tour - 24 days from 1197 GBP
- Go South Africa - 20 days from 1098 GBP
- Carefree South Africa - 20 days from 1132 GBP
- 10 Day South Africa and Mozambique 4WD - 10 days from 350 GBP
- 15 Day South Africa 4WD - 15 days from 848 GBP
- 17 Day South Africa 4WD - 17 days from 718 GBP
- Exclusive Kruger Game Drives - 5 days from 347 GBP
- Culture and Parks of the North - 6 days from 586 GBP
- Lesotho Mountain Trail - 8 days from 251 GBP
- Kruger Walking Tours - 5 days from 462 GBP
- 3 Day Budget Kruger Park Open Vehicle Safari - 3 days from 3980 ZAR
- 4 Day Budget Kruger Park Open Vehicle Safari - 4 days from 4830 ZAR
- 8 Day Accessible Kruger Safari - 8 days from 8999 ZAR
- Namaqualand Daisy Tour - 6 days from 6750 ZAR
- Dinaka Horseback Safaris - 8 days from 3344 USD
- Classical South Africa 14 Days - 14 days from 2000 USD
- Johannesburg and Durban Golf Tour - 9 days from 14054 ZAR
- Africa Big 5 Kruger National Park - 10 days from 2500 USD
- 3 Day Kruger Park Safari - 3 days from 5980 ZAR
- Kruger National Park Explorer - 4 days from 8400 ZAR
- Great Wildlife Expedition - 6 days from 12500 ZAR
- Cultural Experience - 4 days from 8000 ZAR
- Kruger Safari - 4 days from 7000 ZAR
- Luxury Safari - 8 days from 30000 ZAR
Email the tour operator - 18 Day Beach and Bush South Africa and Mozambique 4WD
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.