The Garden Route
- Nature / Eco
- Price from:
- 7100 ZAR /person
- +27 31 572 4227
- +27 31 572 4234
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 4 days
- Location Start:
- All major hotels in Cape Town
- Location Finish:
- All major hotels in Port Elizabeth
- Start time:
- 09.00 am
- End time:
- 05.00 pm
- We Speak:
- English, Request other
Last updated: 02/05/2011
The Garden Route is famous for its diversity of lakes, mountains, beaches, cliffs and indigenous forests. Its extraordinary beauty complements the contrast of the adjacent semi-arid Little Karoo.
Depart from Cape Town and drive eastwards via the beautiful coastal route between Gordonï¿½s Bay and Hermanus, a seaside holiday town ( Hermanus is the best place in the World to spot Whales from land ï¿½ July to Dec). After lunch we drive on to Mossel Bay. Here we visit arguably the oldest post office in Africa, the Post Office Tree and the site of the first landfall, made by the Portuguese explorer Bartholomew Dias in 1488.
Overnight Mossel Bay
We travel over the Outeniqua Mountains to the Little Karoo to visit an Ostrich Show Farm for some unique experiences including ostrich racing. A ride on a back of an ostrich is not for the fainthearted. We visit the Cango caves, regarded as one of South Africa's foremost natural wonders. The fascinating calcite caves comprises an underground wonderland of stalactites and stalagmites. Visit Oudtshoorn, also called the "Feather capital" of the world, as over ninety percent of the world's ostrich farms are found here. Overnight at La Plume Guest House.
After breakfast we visit the Cango Wildlife Ranch and Valley of Ancients, an endangered species breeding facility extraordinaire. Then depart for George and Wilderness National Park. We skirt around the lakes with stops at scenic viewpoints to Knysna. The town is situated on the edge of the Knysna Lagoon with its entrance to the sea guarded by two promontories known as the "Heads". The area also falls within a National Park proclaimed to conserve the extraordinary natural beauty of the lakelands and adjacent indigenous forests. Knysna also offers shopping opportunities of unusual locally made art and craft, etc. We join a sundowner cruise on the lagoon. Overnight in Knysna at the Fish Eagle Lodge.
We explore Knysna and travel further via Plettenberg Bay for a short visit. Then we traverse through magnificently scenic river valley passes. We visit the Tsitsikamma National Park (Khoisan for 'The place of much water" stretching over 100 km of wild and rocky coastline characterised by massive cliffs, narrow isolated beaches and shady indigenous forests along the river valleys. Our next stop is Storms River with the impressive Paul Sauer Bridge across the valley towering some 139 m above the river. The final part of our journey takes us past a few coastal holiday villages to Port Elizabeth, also called the 'Friendly City' for a short city tour before the tour ends.
- Inclusions -
- All accommodation in luxury small hotels/lodges, breakfasts, dinners, entrances, conservation fees.
- Exclusions -
- lunches, personal costs; laundry, insurances
- Extras -
- This tour departs daily from Cape Town but, also departs from Port Elizabeth ending in Cape Town. In addition we run a three day version departing daily from both Port Elizabeth and Cape Town or if you prefer, a four day tour departing from Cape Town ending back in Cape Town. Indicate your preference when booking/enquiring.
This tour can also be added to other tours to the north of the country to form a countrywide package.
Please let us know your requirements.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Cape Town
- Cape Peninsula Day Tour - from 700 ZAR
- Peninsular Tour - from 900 ZAR
- Cape of Good Hope - from 500 ZAR
- Personal Cape Winelands Tours - from 1900 ZAR
- Wacky Winelands - from 550 ZAR
- Cape Winelands - from 700 ZAR
- Cape Town City Tour - from 390 ZAR
- Cape n Wine Drive n Dine - 4 days from 109 GBP
- Discover Cape Town - 4 days from 98 GBP
- Shark diving & Whale Watching Combo - 2 days from 4750 ZAR
- Cape Point 2 day Hike - 2 days from 1895 ZAR
- Cederberg Wilderness - 4 days from 5800 ZAR
- Blue Train Cape Town and Safari - 10 days from 5000 USD
- Southern Tip of Africa - 2 days from 1800 ZAR
- Cape Town Safari - 2 days from 1400 ZAR
- A Taste of South Africa - Plus - 15 days from 24700 ZAR
- Golf Holiday West Coast - 10 days from 13572 ZAR
- Garden Route Golf Tour - 12 days from 13056 ZAR
- Golf Safari Cape Town and Port Elizabeth - 9 days from 20281 ZAR
Email the tour operator - The Garden Route
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.