Shark diving & Whale Watching Combo
- Price from:
- 4750 ZAR /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 2 days
- Location Start:
- Cape Town
- Location Finish:
- Cape Town
- Start time:
- 07.00 am
- End time:
- 06.00 pm
- We Speak:
Last updated: 07/17/2008
A fantastic 2 day adventure tour from Cape Town that includes Great White Shark cage diving, boat based whale watching,lunch in a cliff cave restaurant, top wine estate and luxury accommodation.
On day one we collect you from your accommodation in Cape Town and drive 140 kms to Hermanus, the whale watching capital of the world. On the way we stop at a number of interesting coastal viewpoints and have breakfast at the Botanical Gardens at Betty's Bay.
From there we travel the rest of the way to Hermanus to join Hermanus Whale Cruises on one of their scheduled boat based whale cruises. This sea cruise lasts about two hours. As a permit holder for Sub-area 2, Hermanus Whale cruises is permitted to approach whales up to 50 metres. The whales normally turn and approach the boat : often coming as close as 1 metre! We are then allowed to remain in position alongside the whales for up to 20 minutes.
Depending on your appetite and the weather we can have lunch at a restaurant built into the caves overlooking Walker Bay or at a restaurant high up in the hills of the Hemel-en-aarde valley. In the afternoon we visit the wine estate of Hamilton Russell in the Hemel-en-aarde valley just behind the mountains overlooking Hermanus.
In the evening you relax in the comfort of your 4 star luxury accommodation situated along the shore overlooking Walker Bay. Watch the whales from the private balcony of your spacious suite. Choose to have dinner in your hotel or out at one of the many excellent restaurants in the village.
On the morning of day two we travel through to the village of Gansbaai. There you board the shark-chaser - Apex Predator. The trip normally starts at about 10am, taking about 4 to 5 hours. Once onboard, it is a 5 mile (8 km) voyage to the diving site off Dyer Island.
All the necessary diving equipment is supplied on the boat, including wetsuits, masks and towels. No experience is required if you want to go down in the cage. At times the water will be rough or far too murky to use the cage but viewing from the boat is still an awesome experience, with excellent photo opportunities. The cage is of the floating-variety and is custom-made with 10mm galvanized steel mesh. The sharks cannot get inside, and they don't try. The cage is attached to the boat at all times and floats on the surface. You can climb in and out at any time.
Your safety is paramount on this trip. Passengers are fitted with comfortable inflatable life-jackets. For your peace of mind the operator has extensive public liability insurance. The cage is made out of a 25 mm galvanized mild steel frame and covered with 10 mm galvanized mild steel security mesh.
Warm clothing, a cap, sun block, and camera are essential items for the trip. A light lunch, cool drink, fruit & other snacks will be provided on board. We also have seasick tablets, protective jackets and underwater cameras (R150.00) available. A DVD of the day's activities is also available at an extra cost of R350.00.
Great White Shark Tours is a licensed shark cage diving operator. There are only eight operators who have exemptions to undertake Great White Shark Cage Diving in order to attract Great White Sharks issued by the Republic of South Africa's Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism of which Brian McFarlane is one. In addition they are accredited members of the GREAT WHITE SHARK PROTECTION FOUNDATION.
This wonderful package offers some experiences of a lifetime and is on offer from June until November, when the whales return to the Antarctic feeding grounds.
- Inclusions -
- Transport in 4 x 4 vehicle
- Exclusions -
- any extra alocholic drinks
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Cape Town
- Cape Peninsula Day Tour - from 700 ZAR
- Peninsular Tour - from 900 ZAR
- Cape of Good Hope - from 500 ZAR
- Personal Cape Winelands Tours - from 1900 ZAR
- Wacky Winelands - from 550 ZAR
- Cape Winelands - from 700 ZAR
- Cape Town City Tour - from 390 ZAR
- Cape n Wine Drive n Dine - 4 days from 109 GBP
- Discover Cape Town - 4 days from 98 GBP
- Cape Point 2 day Hike - 2 days from 1895 ZAR
- Cederberg Wilderness - 4 days from 5800 ZAR
- Blue Train Cape Town and Safari - 10 days from 5000 USD
- Southern Tip of Africa - 2 days from 1800 ZAR
- Cape Town Safari - 2 days from 1400 ZAR
- The Garden Route - 4 days from 7100 ZAR
- A Taste of South Africa - Plus - 15 days from 24700 ZAR
- Golf Holiday West Coast - 10 days from 13572 ZAR
- Garden Route Golf Tour - 12 days from 13056 ZAR
- Golf Safari Cape Town and Port Elizabeth - 9 days from 20281 ZAR
Email the tour operator - Shark diving & Whale Watching Combo
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.