Jewish Heritage Tour
- Price from:
- 800 EUR /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 8 days
- Location Start:
- Cazsablanca or Tangier
- Location Finish:
- We Speak:
- German, Spanish, French, English
Last updated: 11/23/2007
The Moroccan Jewish community is the biggest in the Arab world and there are several historical testimonies of the presence of Jews in Morocco so far as during the Roman occupation..
Day 1: Casablanca or Tangier
Arrival at Casablanca airport or Tangier port. our assistant will be waiting for you to greet and then transfer you to your hotel. Check in and refresh at your hotel. Visit recently-completed Mosque Hassan II - largest in world outside Mecca. Tour of French-built Quartier Habous, Law Courts, and the Gates of the Royal Palace. See the Island of the Marabout Sidi Abderrahman (at low tide). Dinner at your hotel. Overnight in Casablanca.
Day 2: Casablanca / Rabat / Volubilis / Fez
Breakfast will be served at the hotel and then drive to Rabat (1 Âº hours). Visit Hassan Tower, the Chellah Necropolis, and the Kasbah des Oudaias overlooking the Atlantic ocean. Visit the Mausoleum of Mohamed V. It was Mohamed V - father of King Hassan II - who achieved independence for Morocco in 1961. Revered by both Muslim and Jew alike, his bravery in the face of the occupying Vichy regime during WW2 that saved Moroccan Jews from the fate of their European brethren. Excursion to a newly -opened private museum outside Rabat. Among the finest collections of Moroccan crafts and relics in the world, opened by a third-generation craftsman and collector responsible for restoring the 27 domes of the mosque at the Medina. This gentleman is the recipient of the 1991 Prix dÃOr from His Majesty King Hassan II. His collection includes a number of items of Jewish interest. Tea and Moroccan cookies will be offered at the museum. Continue east (2 hours) to Moulay Idriss: the most venerated Muslim site in Morocco. For those without the means to make the pilgrimage, the hajj, to Mecca, five trips to Moulay Idriss is of equal merit. Visit Roman ruins at nearby Volubulis: among the most extensive in the world. Evening arrival in Fes and check-in at your hotel in the Ville Nouvelle. Dinner and your overnight at your hotel.
Day 3: Fez
Breakfast at the hotel. Explore Fes J'did and the mellah (Jewish district). Visit synagogues - unmarked on their exteriors - dating from the 17th century: among the most unique in the world. The Mellah of Fes once had 40 synagogues. See the vast and picturesque whitewashed Jewish cemetery adjacent to the gates to the Royal Palace and the nascent Jewish Museum at the Em HaBanim synagogue. Tour Fes el-Bali: Visit the medressa (koranic university) Bou Inania, the Fondouk Nejjarine, the Zaouia (mausoleum) of Moulay Idriss II, the Medressa Attarine, the famous tanneries, the colorful silk dyers and countless other sites, including the House of Maimonedes with its mysterious water clock. The narrow and cobbled streets of Fes are filled with ancient mosques, towering minarets, crumbling fandouks (inns for medieval travelers and their animals) and narrow openings into the private world beyond: an architecture of carved cedar portals, brilliantly colored mosaic tiles, delicately carved stucco ornament, and green glazed roofs. In Fes, veiled women still hurry through the streets, donkeys - laden with their wares - take their time, and craftsmen forge objects much as they did centuries ago. Special arrangements to visit interior of a spectacular privately-owned 18th century Riad - traditional Islamic courtyard house- once one of the wealthiest mansions in Fes. Return to hotel. Optional Erev Shabat services (near hotel). Special Erev Shabat dinner at the Maimonedes Club - kosher Jewish club and center of the community. Overnight: Fes.
Day 4: Fez / Meknes / Fez
Breakfast at hotel. Day at leisure (optional services). Lunch at hotel. Your guide and private car will be available, if you wish, for an excursion to Imperial Meknes: its famous City Gates and the Tomb of Moulay Ismail - magnificent examples of Islamic architecture in North Africa. See Imperial Quarters of Moulay Ismail, including the renowned Imperial Stables. Dinner at hotel in Fes.
Day 5: Fez / Khenifra / Marrakech
Travel in the morning to Marrakech across the Middle Atlas mountains and Ifrane for your drive to Marrakech. Visit the Cascade of Ouzoud. Late afternoon arrival in Marrakech. Check-in at your hotel. Spend early evening at Djemaa el Fnaa, when the square comes alive with storytellers, snake charmers, magicians, and street performers: a unique spectacle. Dinner at your hotel in Marrakech.
Day 6: Marrakech
Explore exotic Marrakech: the towering Koutoubia minaret, the Saadien Tombs, the Menara Gardens, the Medersa ben Youssef, the domed Koubba, and the Dar Si Said Museum. Visit the Maison Tiskiwin, the Bahia Palace, and the Majorelle Gardens of Yves St. Laurent. Visit the colorful souks of Marrakech - spices, carpets, jewelry, handicrafts produced in some cases the same way it was made hundreds of years ago. Overnight: Marrakech.
Day 7: Marrakech / Eurika valley / Seti Fadma / Marrakech
Full day excursion to the scenic Ourika Valley of the High Atlas mountains. Walk through earthen adobe villages decorated with bas-relief indigenous patterns. Light a candle at the tomb of tzaddik Rabbi Shlomo bel Hansh in the High Atlas. This tomb is the site of one of the biggest pilgrimages in Morocco. Pilgrimages to the tombs of saints are unique to Judaism in Morocco. There are over 600 such sites; this is one of the most important. Once a year in the spring, Jews of Moroccan descent return from all over the world to sites like these for a weekend of festivities and celebration. The Muslims in Morocco do the same thing, a tradition inherited, it is believed, from the indigenous pre-Islam Berber traditions. Return to Marrakech. Optional evening of folklore and entertainment at Fantasia dinner under tents in a palm grove outside Marrakech. Overnight: Marrakech.
Day 8: Marrakech
Breakfast at your hotel. Morning visit to Mellah (Jewish district): synagogues and cemetery. Lunch at hotel. Afternoon at leisure. Optional farewell dinner at renowned Yacout restaurant - MoroccoÃs finest. Overnight: Marrakech. Day 9: Marrakech / Casablanca
Breakfast at your hotel. Transfer to Marrakech airport for your departure to Casablanca, where you will change plans for your return home.
- Inclusions -
- Welcome & assistance at airport.
- Exclusions -
- Air ticket
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Marrakech
- the berber trails - from 800 MAD
- Day Tour to Ouarzazate - from 45 EUR
- Moroccan Views - from 90 EUR
- Discover The 7 Water Falls In Ourika - from 100 EUR
- Visiting Casablanca Highlights - from 350 MAD
- Mountain Bike in the Atlas Mountains Morocco - from 170 EUR
- Full day camel Trek in Asni close to the Atlas Mountains - from 90 EUR
- Day Trip to the Atlas Mountains - from 70 EUR
- Authentic Morocco Marrakech Day Tours to the Atlas - from 500 MAD
- Tour of Bars & Clubs - from 30 GBP
- Day Trip from Marrakech to Ourika Valley - from 45 EUR
- One Day Trip to Ourika Valley - from 45 EUR
- Marrakech Imperial City - from 117 EUR
- Ciel d Afrique - from 205 EUR
- Tour Marrakesh - from 60 USD
- New Year Eve 2010 in Sahara Desert - 4 days from 325 EUR
- Biking in the High Atlas - 8 days from 450 EUR
- Desert trip - 4 days from 200 EUR
- Arabic Language and Cultural Immersio Progrm in Marrakech - 15 days from 250 EUR
- Toubkal & the Moroccan Desert 5 Days - 5 days from 300 EUR
- Mount Toubkal Climb 2 Days - 2 days from 100 EUR
- 4 Days Tour from Marrakech to Erg Chegaga Sahara Desert - 4 days from 360 EUR
- Sahara Trails - 7 days from 350 EUR
- Morocco Outdoor Adventure - 8 days from 330 EUR
- Trekking through Sahara on Camels - 7 days from 697 EUR
- Toubkal Peak - 2 days from 90 EUR
- Morocco Cultural Tours - 8 days from 700 EUR
- 5 Days Trip Morocco Explore High Atlas Mountains,Sahara... - 5 days from 400 EUR
- Essaouira Visit & Camel Trek - 3 days from 70 EUR
- Marrakech to Fez - 3 days from 350 EUR
- Sahara Tour - 3 days from 250 EUR
- 5 Days Hiking In The Berber Villages - 6 days from 3000 MAD
- Tour Around Imlil & Setti Fadma Valleys 3 Days - 3 days from 160 EUR
- Tour Around Berber Villages Of The High Atlas Mountains - 3 days from 150 EUR
- Winter Ascents Toubkal - 4 days from 200 EUR
- Toubkal Ascent and Berber Villages 8 days - 8 days from 450 EUR
- Merzouga Expeditions - 3 days from 260 EUR
- Authentic Morocco Marrakech to Fes Desert Tour - 4 days from 3700 MAD
- Sahara Desert Camel Trekking - 3 days from 180 EUR
- Authentic Morocco Off the Beaten Track - 5 days from 4300 MAD
- Authentic Morocco Camel Treks - 4 days from 2700 MAD
- Saghro Massive Traverse - 7 days from 5950 MAD
- Safari to Merzouga dunes - 3 days from 120 EUR
- Magic Marrakech - 4 days from 150 EUR
- Desert Tours in Morocco - 4 days from 3600 MAD
- Amizmiz Tour - 6 days from 4500 MAD
- Toubkal Tour - 8 days from 6000 MAD
- Grand Sahara Tour - 4 days from 628 EUR
- Walking Hiking High Atlas - 5 days from 6000 MAD
- Morocco Tour of Adventure & Culture - 12 days from 1679 USD
- Adventure Tour in the Sahara Desert - 4 days from 350 EUR
- Desert Discovery - 9 days from 1790 USD
- Authentic Morocco Desert Tours - 4 days from 3060 MAD
- The Magic Marrakesh - 6 days from 1390 USD
- Imerial Cities and Sahara - 15 days from 2645 USD
Email the tour operator - Jewish Heritage Tour
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.