- Price from:
- 25 EUR /person
- +218 334 3064/5
- +218 369 0164
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- Location Start:
- Location Finish:
- Start time:
- 08.00 am
- End time:
- 04.00 pm
- We Speak:
- Greek, Turkish, Polish, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Dutch, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, German, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, French, English
Last updated: 02/21/2007
Visit the Stunning site of Leptis Magna, one of the most extraordinary ancient sites in the Mediterranean.
The city of Leptis Magna began as a trading port for the ancient people of Phoenicia around 1,000 B.C. and then became part of the Roman province of Africa Proconsularis. Leptis was the most easterly of the three cities that gave the North Africa region of Tripolitania its name.
The city grew as a prosperous trading center, but raids by desert tribes in the 4th century A.D. and the city was virtually abandoned by the 8th century. Leptis Magna was associated with the Roman Empire for more than 500 years beginning in the 1st century B.C. During that time, many buildings were constructed and these Roman structures, well preserved under sand for centuries, have made the city an important area for archaeological study since the 1920's Leptis Magna was also known as the birthplace of Roman emperor, Lucius Septimius Severus, (A.D. 146-211) and today it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Archaeological excavations have unearthed several layers of ruins that show various periods of occupation at the site. Underneath the remains of a large theatre built in the 1st century A.D. is a cemetery probably dating from the 4th or 3rd century B.C. particularly well preserved is Roman buildings that include the elaborate Hadrian Baths as well the remains of the forum and basilica erected during the era of Emperor Severus.
Just outside the main city, you well see the Grand Amphitheatre. Constructed in 56 A.D. and boasting unrivalled acoustics, it could accommodate up to 16,000 spectators.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Tripoli
- Portrait of Tripolitania - 8 days from 500 EUR
- Culture Tours In West Of Libya - 4 days from 0 EUR
- One Of The Worlds Newest And Most Exciting - 4 days from 10 EUR
- Free Farwa - 3 days from 399 GBP
- Sahara Desert - 10 days from 995 GBP
- 1 Week Libya Package - 8 days from 1420 EUR
- Wonders of Libya - 10 days from 1000 EUR
Email the tour operator - Leptia Magna
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.