Kilimanjaro Machame Route
- Walking / Hiking
- Price from:
- 1040 USD /person
- +254 20 2716142 / 2735046
- +254 20 2735046
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 8 days
- Location Start:
- Location Finish:
- Start time:
- 07.30 pm
- End time:
- 06.00 pm
- We Speak:
- Japanese, Russian, German, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Chinese
Last updated: 01/08/2007
Machame has been one of the secret route which very few people take and it is also one of the most beautiful and scenic locations. It is tough from the begining then aessy to the top.
Day 1: Nairobi / Arusha.
After breakfast, we will pick you up from your Nairobi hotel and thereafter depart for Arusha via Namanga border town for immigration formalities. Rest of the afternoon at leisure. Overnight at an Arusha hotel.
Day 2: Arusha / Machame.
An early start for Kilimanjaro National Park. Once we reach the park gate we will proceed directly to Machame hut campsite in an average hiking time of 6 hours for meals and overnight in tents. The altitude here is 3,100m.
Day 3: Machame / Shira.
After breakfast, hike to Shira hut. The trek takes 4 hours approximately via the rain forest past the valley and a steep rocky ridge ending westward at a river gorge. You will have a rest, dinner and overnight at Shira hut campsite, 3,658m above sea level.
Day 4: Shira / Barranco.
From Shira, hike to Barranco hut, in an average hiking time of 6 hours. We by-pass the lava tower and past the second junction which brings us to the arrow glacier, altitude 4,876m. We descend to Barranco hut campsite for our third overnight on Kilimanjaro, 3,860 m above sea level.
Day 5: Barranco / Barafu.
After breakfast, we leave Barranco and continue to the Karanga valley and the junction, which connects with the Mweka trail. We hike to Barafu hut where we set up camp. We will have walked for about 8 hours.
Dinner and overnight at the hut campsite, altitude 4,600m with the possibility of sighting both Mawenzi and Kibo peaks.
Day 6: Barafu / Mweka via Stella Point then Uhuru Peak.
We rise early and head for Stella Point altitude 5,745m on our way to the summit Uhuru Peak that is 5,896m above sea level. This part of the hike takes about 6 hours. From the summit we descend to the Mweka hut campsite, 3,100m above sea level. This part of the descent takes about 5 hours.
Dinner and overnight.
Day 7: Mweka / Arusha.
After breakfast, we descend to the Mweka Park Gate in an average hiking time of 4 hours and then drive back to Arusha for overnight.
Day 8: Arusha / Nairobi.
After breakfast, depart for Nairobi on the morning or afternoon shuttle arriving at 01.00 p.m or 06.30 p.m.
- Inclusions -
- Porters and cook
- Exclusions -
- Tip.. Compulsary
- Extras -
- If wellorganized then you will love to return the following day to kilimanjaro again.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Arusha
- Lake Manyara & Ngorongoro & Serengeti - 5 days from 920 USD
Email the tour operator - Kilimanjaro Machame Route
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.