Tribes of the Omo Valley
- Price from:
- 1107 USD /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 10 days
- Location Start:
- Addis Ababa
- Location Finish:
- Addis Ababa
- Start time:
- 07.00 am
- End time:
- 05.00 pm
- We Speak:
Last updated: 05/22/2009
The Omo Valley is home to many remarkable ethnic groups, many who have barely altered their living patterns, relying on the natural resources around them for survival. Join us and be inspired!
Depart south from Addis via the Rift Valley Lakes, stopping on in Lake Ziway on the way to visit the local birds. Overnight in Awassa (hotel).
In the morning, take a boat trip on Lake Awassa to visit the fish market. Afterwards, we will continue driving to Dorze. The Dorze people are known for their tall beehive-like houses and their well-woven cotton cloths. Overnight in Dorze in traditional hut.
In the morning, visit the local market in Dorze (Monday and Thursday) or Chencha (Tuesday and Saturday). Afterwards, continue driving to Arba Minch. In the afternoon, take a boat ride on Lake Chamo to visit the crocodile market and hippo pods. Overnight in Arba Minch at hotel of your choice. Overnight in Arba Minch (hotel).
After breakfast, we will continue driving to Turmi. On the way, we will stop in Erbore, to visit the Erbore tribe (market day is Friday). Overnight in Turmi, camping or in lodge. In the night, you can see the traditional night dancing of the Hamer people, known as Evangadi.
In the morning, drive to Omorate where you will cross the Omo River by local boat and visit the Dasennech tribes. Afterwards, you will return to Turmi and, if there is Jumping of the Bulls traditional Hamer wedding ceremony, we will visit. Overnight in Turmi camping or in lodge.
Today, continue to Jinka, via Dimeka (market on Tuesday and Saturday) and Key Afar. The Dimeka market is one of the most colorful markets in the region, attracting people from many different tribes. It is a wonderful experience for all visitors. Overnight in Jinka (hotel).
In the morning, drive to Mago National Park to visit the Mursi tribes, who are known for their lower lip and earlobe plates. Afterwards, return to Jinka to visit the local museum to learn more about the tribes. In the afternoon, take a hike in the local hills to visit a village of the Ari people. Overnight in Jinka (hotel).
After breakfast, depart Jinka, driving to Konso. On the way, stop at the market in Key Afar (Thursdays), which is one of the most colorful markets in the south. Here you can meet the Benna people. Afterwards, continue to Konso (market days are Mondays and Thursdays) for overnight (hotel).
In the morning, visit a local Konso village and the natural New York village. The Konso people are known for their totems erected in honor of the dead and their intricate agricultural terracing techniques. Afterwards, continue driving to Langano. On the way, we will stop in Wondo Genet, where you can relax and take a swim in the hot spring pools. Overnight at Lake Langano â lakeside camping or in lodge.
After a morning swim in the lake, we will visit lakes Abiatta and Shala. Lake Shala is a very deep crater lake (over 260 meters deep!) and Lake Abiatta is a soda lake, which attracts thousands of flamingos. After the visit, continue back to Addis.
- Inclusions -
- Entrance fees
- Exclusions -
- Extras -
- This tour itinerary is flexible; please contact us directly to discuss further details.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Addis Ababa
- 3 days to Harar-Awash-Sodere - 12 days from 250 EUR
- Trekking in Home of Wildlife - 10 days from 650 EUR
- The Place of Bird Paradise - 18 days from 1300 EUR
- Horn of Africa - 12 days from 1920 EUR
- The oldest tribes in Ethiopia - 8 days from 1280 EUR
- Danakil depression Dallol & Ertale - 9 days from 800 EUR
- 10 Days North Ethiopia Historical Rotute Tour - 10 days from 750 EUR
- Omo Valley - 7 days from 600 EUR
- Addis to Djibouti - 2 days from 260 EUR
- 14 Day Ethiopia - 14 days from 1920 EUR
- Discover Ethiopia - 21 days from 1500 USD
- Northern Ethiopia Historical Route - 10 days from 665 USD
- Danakil Depression - 10 days from 1500 USD
- Ethiopian Easter Festival Tour a cultural tour to the... - 11 days from 1698 USD
- Historic Route 10 Days & 9 Nights - 10 days from 985 USD
- Ethiopia Classic Historical Route - 15 days from 831 EUR
- Ethiopia Omo Valley - 15 days from 850 EUR
- Cultural Tour To The Historic Route Of Ethiopia - 10 days from 1454 USD
- Ethiopia Historical Tour - 9 days from 1150 USD
- OMO Safari - 15 days from 1664 USD
- Historic Route by Surface - 12 days from 1432 USD
- Historic Ethiopia by Flight - 7 days from 500 USD
- Omo Valley Cultural Tour - 10 days from 500 USD
- Ethiopian Religious festival - 18 days from 900 EUR
- Ethiopian Trekking tour - 8 days from 550 EUR
- Ethiopian Historic route via flight - 8 days from 700 EUR
- Danakil Depression and Erta - 9 days from 900 EUR
- Ethiopian Historic route - 13 days from 850 EUR
- Omo Valley safari - 11 days from 850 EUR
- Southern Rift Valley Tour - 15 days from 1500 USD
- Brief Tour Of Omo Valley Tribes - 6 days from 746 USD
- Market Oriented Tour Of Omo Tribes - 8 days from 1161 USD
- South And Historic Ethiopia Tour - 27 days from 2900 USD
- Priceless Ethiopia Tours - 9 days from 651 USD
Email the tour operator - Tribes of the Omo Valley
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.