Northern Ethiopia Historical Route
- Price from:
- 665 USD /person
- Payment Types:
- Credit Card
- Travellers cheque
- Wire Transfer
- 10 days
- Location Start:
- Addis Ababa
- Location Finish:
- Addis Ababa
- Start time:
- 07.00 am
- End time:
- 06.00 pm
- We Speak:
Last updated: 05/22/2009
Explore castles, churches and monuments of ancient civilizations in this intriguing historical circuit in Northern Ethiopia. Join us and discover the richness of Ethiopia's tradition.
Early in the morning, depart north to Bahir Dar via Debre Markos. On the way visit the Debre Libanos Monastery and the Portuguese Bridge, which was the first bridge in Ethiopia. After lunch in Debre Markos, you will pass through the spectacular Blue Nile Gorge. Overnight in Bahir Dar (hotel).
In the morning, take a boat trip on Lake Tana to visit the island monasteries, such as those on the Zege Peninsula and Kibran Gabriel (which does not allow entry for women.) In the afternoon, drive to the Blue Nile Falls for an easy hike around the area. In the early evening, complete your tour of Bahir Dar with a drive up to Haile Selassies' old palace and sunset over the source of the Nile River. Overnight in Bahir Dar (hotel).
After breakfast, drive to Gondar, appreciating the landscape of the Amhara tribe on the way. Once in Gondar, visit the Castles of King Fasilides and the Debre Birhan Silassie church, with the most famous ceiling in Ethiopia. Overnight in Gondar (hotel).
In the morning, depart north for Axum, enjoying spectacular views of the Simien Mountains. After stopping for lunch in Adarky, proceed driving through the Tekeze Valley to Axum, home of the ancient Axumite Empire, the Queen of Sheba, and the Ark of the Covenant. Overnight in Axum (hotel).
Today will be a full day visiting the sites of Axum, including the famous obelisks (one that was just erected after being returned from Italy), the Queen of Sheba's Bath (which supplies water to Axum year-round), King Bazen's tomb, and the Queen of Sheba's Palace. You can also visit the St. Mary of Zion church, where the Ark of the Covenant is kept. Men only are allowed to enter the old church. Unfortunately, no one (except one specially chosen guardian monk) is allowed to enter the chapel where the Ark is kept. Overnight in Axum (hotel).
After breakfast, drive to visit the ruins of Yeha, dating from the 8th to 5th centuries BC, and thought to be the capital of Ethiopian civilization before Axum. Afterwards, visit the Debre Damo monastery, where the men (sorry! No women allowed.) must climb up a 15-m rope to enter. Overnight in Mekele (hotel).
Early in the morning, embark on a full day of driving to Lalibela. Overnight in Lalibela (hotel).
Visit the 11 rock-hewn churches of the remarkable King Lalibela, who built these unique structures after seeing God in a dream. The most famous of all - St. George's church - is a giant monolith in the shape of a cross. Overnight in Lalibela (hotel).
Early in the morning, take a mule trek up to the Ahseton Maryam monastery, set on the mountain overlooking the town of Lalibela. Afterwards, continue driving to Kombolcha via Woldia, stopping for a visit in the town of Hayk, where you can visit the lake and the local monastery. Overnight in Kombolcha (hotel).
Return driving to Addis via Debre Birhan. On the way you pass the Mezezo Escarpment, with a good chance to see the endemic gelada baboons. Also, if this day is a Monday, there will be a short detour in the morning to stop in Bati for one of the largest markets in the country, including the interesting camel market.
- Inclusions -
- Accommodation (B&B)
- Exclusions -
- Extras -
- Itineraries are easily modified. Contact us directly for more information.
Couldn't find what you're looking for? Check out more tours & excursions in Addis Ababa
- 3 days to Harar-Awash-Sodere - 12 days from 250 EUR
- Trekking in Home of Wildlife - 10 days from 650 EUR
- The Place of Bird Paradise - 18 days from 1300 EUR
- Horn of Africa - 12 days from 1920 EUR
- The oldest tribes in Ethiopia - 8 days from 1280 EUR
- Danakil depression Dallol & Ertale - 9 days from 800 EUR
- 10 Days North Ethiopia Historical Rotute Tour - 10 days from 750 EUR
- Omo Valley - 7 days from 600 EUR
- Addis to Djibouti - 2 days from 260 EUR
- 14 Day Ethiopia - 14 days from 1920 EUR
- Discover Ethiopia - 21 days from 1500 USD
- Tribes of the Omo Valley - 10 days from 1107 USD
- Danakil Depression - 10 days from 1500 USD
- Ethiopian Easter Festival Tour a cultural tour to the... - 11 days from 1698 USD
- Historic Route 10 Days & 9 Nights - 10 days from 985 USD
- Ethiopia Classic Historical Route - 15 days from 831 EUR
- Ethiopia Omo Valley - 15 days from 850 EUR
- Cultural Tour To The Historic Route Of Ethiopia - 10 days from 1454 USD
- Ethiopia Historical Tour - 9 days from 1150 USD
- OMO Safari - 15 days from 1664 USD
- Historic Route by Surface - 12 days from 1432 USD
- Historic Ethiopia by Flight - 7 days from 500 USD
- Omo Valley Cultural Tour - 10 days from 500 USD
- Ethiopian Religious festival - 18 days from 900 EUR
- Ethiopian Trekking tour - 8 days from 550 EUR
- Ethiopian Historic route via flight - 8 days from 700 EUR
- Danakil Depression and Erta - 9 days from 900 EUR
- Ethiopian Historic route - 13 days from 850 EUR
- Omo Valley safari - 11 days from 850 EUR
- Southern Rift Valley Tour - 15 days from 1500 USD
- Brief Tour Of Omo Valley Tribes - 6 days from 746 USD
- Market Oriented Tour Of Omo Tribes - 8 days from 1161 USD
- South And Historic Ethiopia Tour - 27 days from 2900 USD
- Priceless Ethiopia Tours - 9 days from 651 USD
Email the tour operator - Northern Ethiopia Historical Route
Important Notice : Avoiding Fraud
It's rare, but some helpful hints to watch out for with regards to fraud:
- It is important to NEVER wire funds or use/employ other fund transfer mechanisms such as western union: Always use a credit card to protect yourself against fraud. If owners pressure you into providing a deposit or refuse to accept credit cards, there is a high probability that this is a scam.
- If at all suspicious of fraud, ask to see their website, or any other literature they can provide or send to you. Ask them for contact details for guests who have previously stayed on their property insisting on telephone numbers. Be suspicious of emails that originate from free email services (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc)
- Research the property thoroughly on the internet to see if there is any history or mention of scams associated with the property.