The Historic Powhatan Resort Hotel, Williamsburg
Reviews - The Historic Powhatan Resort Hotel
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Williamsburg
Historical Traveller Reviews of The Historic Powhatan Resort Hotel
Williamsburg is nice - The Powhatan is notfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Nice that anyone mentioned this when I made the reservation three days before! The condition of the unit was deplorable. My wife thought that the refrigerator had blood splattered across the front - luckily it was just covered with rust. If you don't mind staying in a dump, this is the place for you. BTW - I wrote a letter to the management company about the problems at Powhatan and they responded by saying that they hope I come back and have a better experience next time. Actually, I will have a better experience next time because I will drive by the Powahatan and laugh at the poor people who got tricked into staying at that dump.
Badly need renovationfrom A TripAdvisor Member
On the first night we found a flea on a bar stool, two spiders in the bed, spider webs in the corner of the bedroom and debris under the bed.
Every time one of us turned over in the bed or tried to "sneak" out of the bed so as to not disturb the other, the mattress foundation squeaked so loudly that the other woke up. The mattress was intolerable--we both got backaches.
The carpet was in deplorable condition--stained with food under the dining area table, toothpaste in the bathroom and what appeared to be bleach stains near the entrance to the hot tub. It did not appear to have been vacuumed since the last occupants left. The hot tub was moldy, as was the the shower curtain. The ceramic tile hearth was cracked in several places and numerous cracks surrounded the fireplace.
There were two broken floorboards on the ourdoor deck.
After two days we complained and only after my wife implied to the front desk that she was a "facilities inspector" did we secure a meeting with the assistant manager of the facility. The mattress/foundation was replaced and the carpet was "steam cleaned", however most of the stains remained.
When we asked to be moved to another unit we were told they were "full". However, judging from the number of cars in the parking lots [they do have assigned parking] we feel this was a lie. We spent at least two days of our week trying to get the facility into tolerable condition--time that should have been spent enjoying ourselves.
Our conclusion was that this resort overpromises and grossly underdelivers. They have potentially a wonderful facility if they would only maintain it properly and overhaul their housekeeping procedures.
More than we expectedfrom A TripAdvisor Member
s nothing to write home aboutfrom A TripAdvisor Member
The handle on one of the toilets broke during our stay. It took more than 24 hours for it to be repaired. Our hot tub did not seem to be all that clean so therefore, we did not use it. There was a ring all around it and we found some debris in it.I had some special requests due to my two chronically ill children. They seemed very accommodating at first, but when I wanted to confirm everything the day before arrival, a particular staff member became rude with me. The issue was resolved to my satisfaction once I spoke with her supervisor.We didn't appreciate the daily calls to our room requesting that we attend their complimentary breakfast or lunch so they can attempt to sell us one of their timeshare units. I came in on a rental exchange through RCI and I expect to be left alone during my staff. Some of the days, we refused to answer our phone because they kept calling.Overall, for the $ spent, it was a nice place to stay. I would NEVER pay the full amount for this unit because their upkeep leaves much to be desired. If I am going to pay over $1000/wk for a unit, I expect it will be in excellent condition. I don't expect to see lots of wallpaper peeling off the bathroom walls, mildew in the tub unit, and a dirty hot tub.
Better than I expectedfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Rude Stafffrom A TripAdvisor Member
Relaxing Resortfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Family Reunionfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Almost Perfect!from A TripAdvisor Member
Beautifulfrom A TripAdvisor Member
The fresh, warm cookies were great. We were in a newer unit, and it was very clean and in good repair. No spots on the carpet or furniture, and everything was in good working condition. If we ever needed anything, they were very timely in their response. The staff at the activities desk were great and told us of neat off-the-beaten-path places to visit in addition to giving sound advice (and directions) on the regular tourist attractions. The grounds were immaculate and beautiful, and we enjoyed the wildlife wandering around. We had two teenage girls with us and they loved it as much as we did. We would recommend Powhatan without any reservation and hope to return to visit someday.
Top Local Tips for Williamsburg
AAA Be sure to ask about discounts (like AAA, senior) at the attractions, as they may not offer them up front.
Great Food Eat at the Whaling Company near Busch Gardens - great food - great service A+++
To enjoy it best to really enjoy this trip I would only go in the spring and fall. they locals tell us it is much to hot in the summer.
Other names for The Historic Powhatan Resort Hotel
- the historic powhatan hotel
- sunterra powhatan plantation
- powhatan plantation
- historic powhatan hotel
- Address: 3601 Ironbound Rd - Williamsburg - Virginia - 23188 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near The Historic Powhatan Resort Hotel
- Greensprings Plantation Hotel Williamsburg, Virginia Distance: 2.7 km / 1.7 mi
- Westgate Historic Williamsburg Hotel Williamsburg, Virginia Distance: 4.2 km / 2.6 mi
- Days Inn Downtown Colonial Are Hotel Williamsburg, Virginia Distance: 4.3 km / 2.7 mi
- Williamsburg Plantation Hotel Williamsburg, Virginia Distance: 4.3 km / 2.7 mi
- The Princess Anne Hotel Williamsburg, Virginia Distance: 4.2 km / 2.6 mi
- Fairfield Inn and Suites Williamsburg Hotel Williamsburg, Virginia Distance: 4.2 km / 2.6 mi
- Comfort Inn Historic Area Hotel Williamsburg, Virginia Distance: 5.1 km / 3.2 mi
- Williamsburg Hospitality Hous Hotel Williamsburg, Virginia Distance: 4.6 km / 2.8 mi
- Sleep Inn Williamsburg Hotel Williamsburg, Virginia Distance: 4.6 km / 2.8 mi
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Williamsburg, Virginia Distance: 4.3 km / 2.7 mi
- Americas Best Value Inn Historic Hotel Williamsburg, Virginia Distance: 4.5 km / 2.8 mi
- SpringHill Suites Williamsburg Hotel Williamsburg, Virginia Distance: 4.3 km / 2.7 mi
- Residence Inn Williamsburg Hotel Williamsburg, Virginia Distance: 4.3 km / 2.7 mi
- Hampton Inn Williamsburg Center Hotel Williamsburg, Virginia Distance: 4.7 km / 2.9 mi
- Hilton Garden Inn Williamsburg Hotel Williamsburg, Virginia Distance: 4.8 km / 3 mi