Best Western Center City Hotel, Philadelphia
Reviews - Best Western Center City Hotel
- Age Group: 51 - 60
- From: Ireland
- Traveller type: Special Interest/Event
Read 172 additional reviews of Best Western Center City Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Philadelphia
Historical Traveller Reviews of Best Western Center City Hotel
never again!!!!!!!!from craigster17
Disgusting, Terrible Placefrom A TripAdvisor Member
Horrible with a capital Hfrom angelslame
Great Location, Horrible Everything Else!from A TripAdvisor Member
Convenientfrom A TripAdvisor Member
nice reasonable priced hotelfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Indiffernt staff who run a deteriorating hotelfrom KitKat59
Plumbing problems in the first room occurred very late well after midnight, after several calls to the front desk we finally got the desk clerk to change our room (they wanted to send maintanence up in an hour or so). The "new" room had a heater so loud and grating (it's 20 degrees outside) we had no choice but to leave it on. The lamps in the second room did not work but there was an easy solution: my husband still had the key for the 1st room so he traded lamps out of the first room and brought thm to the 2nd room. The bed linens did not look clean so I slept in my clothes. We finally got to sleep around 3 AM. When we arose around 7 am to shower, the shower ran hot to cold, scalding hot back to freezing cold and the side of shower curtain that faces the shower was covered in mold.
We decided around this time we might as well laugh and chalk this up to a "travel memory."
We wrote to AAA who, at the time, rated this hotel three stars, it has since been dropped to 2 stars. We got a letter back from BWCenter City which was less than apologetic. We are the customer, and paying $150.00 a night we at least deserved a good night's sleep; that we did not get but we did get plenty of attitude!
I highly recommend you steer clear of this hotel on your next visit to Philadelphia Center City, Pennsylvania
Great No Frills Hotelfrom A TripAdvisor Member
I stayed in a renovated non-smoking room on the first floor, and I had a great room. No complaints. My favorite thing about this hotel was the free WI-FI internet service. I also loved the 2 in 1 shampoo! It smelled like Orange Creamsicle!!!
The location is ideal for visiting the museums, but there aren't any cool or trendy bars or restaurants nearby. This is compensated for by the fact that there's a Whole Foods Market around the corner with a fantastic Take-Out section.
Some reviewers here feel that this hotel needs a facelift. It definitely has that dated 70s pulp fiction feel of an Elmore Leonard novel. Hotel prices in Philly are just high, and while this places charges over $100 a night, in another city this hotel would only be worth $60 a night. Before choosing to stay here, figure in the price of taking taxis back and forth from the main downtown core.
s basic purposefrom bluesealover
Yes, it's smokey. We got a nonsmoking room, which didn't smell like smoke for the most part, but I noticed when we went to bed at night and when we woke up in the morning, we could smell cigarette smoke. It was not heavy, but distinct enough to be recognizable by our super-sensitive noses.
The decor is tired looking. Some areas of the hotel does look remodeled. I saw a bathroom for employees and restaurant users on the first floor that looked very recently remodeled. The rugs appear to be recent, maybe five years old. Our room was clean. Rug looked clean, not worn out. The wallpaper and furniture looks like it was from 1985. Bed was generally comfortable, had nice thick fluffy pillows. No bed bugs, at least I believe so! I was paranoid about every single itch on my skin! TV is newer looking (I was thinking of those big old tvs with knobs and wood paneling!). Bathroom is another story - sloppy re-caulking behind the sink, old tile on the walls, styrofoam ceiling above the shower (which is low, so if you're taller than 5'9, you'd be bending over the shower spigot!). On the positive side, it was CLEAN and we had hot water.
We had a hard time finding a good place to eat breakfast close by...had to walk over to the other side of the Ben Franklin and down one of the business districts for a cafe. The location is great for the art museum and the Rodin (which is right in front of the hotel), but if you wanted to see Old City, you'd have to take the Phlash trolley. The stop is just in front of the Rodin Museum, a couple blocks' walk from the hotel. That was a pain for us because the Phlash does not come every 12 minutes as the brochure and website promises! We waited 30 minutes one time, and another time the trolley flew past us at 2nd street (and a big group was waiting for it!).
This hotel basically served it's purpose - a place for us to stay with FREE parking. If we stayed at the other hotels, we'd spend a lot on parking!
However, if you asked me if I would go back there again, I would probably say no, unless I brought my car. If I didn't have a car, I'd stay in the nicer hotels closer to everything so I'd walk around more and not use that slow Phlash trolley service.
Smokeyfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Top Local Tips for Philadelphia
Old town at night We walked the Old Town (across from Penn's Landing) for several hours on Saturday night. Friendly with lots to do. Most shops were open and we had drinks at a wonderful Irish Bar
Flat Rate Cab The flat rate for cab fare from PHI to this hotel is $26.60.
Trolley Tours Fournd out that the Trolley tour company will pick up from most hotels. Yo u can then hop on/hop off for major attractions
Other names for Best Western Center City Hotel
- philadelphia best western
- city center philadelphia best western
- best western philadelphia
- Address: 501 North 22nd Street - Philadelphia - Pennsylvania - 19130 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Best Western Center City Hotel
- Four Seasons Philadelphia Hotel Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi
- Embassy Suites Hotel Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Distance: 0.9 km / 0.5 mi
- Hotel Windsor Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Distance: 1 km / 0.6 mi
- Crowne Plaza Philadelphia Center City Hotel Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Distance: 1.1 km / 0.7 mi
- The Westin Philadelphia Hotel Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Distance: 1.3 km / 0.8 mi
- Club Quarters Hotel Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Distance: 1.4 km / 0.9 mi
- Hampton Inn Convention Center Hotel Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Distance: 1.4 km / 0.8 mi
- Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Distance: 1.4 km / 0.9 mi
- Travelodge Philadelphia Hotel Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Distance: 1.4 km / 0.9 mi
- Rittenhouse Hotel Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Distance: 1.5 km / 0.9 mi
- The Latham Hotel Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Distance: 1.5 km / 0.9 mi
- Oakwood Philadelphia Hotel Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Distance: 1.5 km / 0.9 mi
- Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown Hotel Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Distance: 1.5 km / 0.9 mi
- Korman Communities Rittenhouse Hotel Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Distance: 1.6 km / 1 mi
- Residence Inn by Marriott Center City Hotel Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Distance: 1.5 km / 1 mi